Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 02-19-2020, 09:57 AM   #6889
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Phil Kucera, Cadillac interior design manager, gave us some background on the decision to implement this tri-screen layout.
“To be honest with you, it was a high-end leadership decision,” Kucera says. “There was a lot of, 'Hey maybe we don’t put that on the base level. And why do you have to use OLED?' Because OLED is not the cheap way to go. So the fact that it stayed that size and remained OLED … I would bet that you’re going to see other people doing something like this. There was a real push to try and get here first.”

Seriously whoever was advocating to remove the OLED screens from the base Escalade needs to be fired and never allowed within 500 feet of a GM facility for eternity.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:06 AM   #6890
Azzkker

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, 99 z28, 89 iroc-z
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Seriously whoever was advocating to remove the OLED screens from the base Escalade needs to be fired and never allowed within 500 feet of a GM facility for eternity.
It's my opinion that using oled is a huge mistake. Screen burn in or image retention, is a huge problem that is plaguing the cell phone, TV and monitor market currently. When the brightness is dialled up to combat sunlight, the problem accelerates. My last couple phones have had this problem, and it's a large issue on the av forums.
Azzkker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:24 PM   #6891
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I don't know if the screens HAD to be OLED or not...I feel like a good quality high resolution SHD LED screen might have been just fine. Maybe to fit in that area, OLED had to be used...I don't know. That said, I agree that it should be in every damn Escalade.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:31 PM   #6892
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Testing against the 458. Hopefully that means the Z06 will be N/A again.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:28 PM   #6893
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzkker View Post
It's my opinion that using oled is a huge mistake. Screen burn in or image retention, is a huge problem that is plaguing the cell phone, TV and monitor market currently. When the brightness is dialled up to combat sunlight, the problem accelerates. My last couple phones have had this problem, and it's a large issue on the av forums.

GM apparently addressed this, the images displayed on the OLED screens will shift subtlety to prevent it. They're estimating at least 15 years of life from the screens.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:50 AM   #6894
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I guess the NA part makes sense, but the 458 hasn't been made for years. why test against a car that's been out of production for years. Almost seems Ford like lol
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:42 AM   #6895
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I guess the NA part makes sense, but the 458 hasn't been made for years. why test against a car that's been out of production for years. Almost seems Ford like lol
I retired from GM in March 2017. Before I left, there were two 458s in the Corvette Team fleet. One was torn down to study the chassis and powertrain. The other was a driving benchmark vehicle. 488 had not been released yet at the time the 458s were acquired and I doubt that even the Corvette team could’ve justified going out and buying a 3rd Ferrari.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #6896
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I retired from GM in March 2017. Before I left, there were two 458s in the Corvette Team fleet. One was torn down to study the chassis and powertrain. The other was a driving benchmark vehicle. 488 had not been released yet at the time the 458s were acquired and I doubt that even the Corvette team could’ve justified going out and buying a 3rd Ferrari.
Makes sense. I was going to speculate that maybe there is something 'special' about the feel of the 458 that its replacement lost. After all, you hear that sort of thing all the time with BMW's and ocassionally with Porsches; thought it might be a thing with Ferrari's . Then I was going to tack on a semi-joke about Corvette buyers realistically cross shopping against used Ferrari's rather than new ones.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:18 PM   #6897
Bhobbs

Quote:
At least I hope its N/A. An F/I engine for the Z06 and a more powerful F/I engine for the ZR1 kinda ruined the special nature of both vehicles for me.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:49 AM   #6898
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
At least I hope its N/A. An F/I engine for the Z06 and a more powerful F/I engine for the ZR1 kinda ruined the special nature of both vehicles for me.
Yeah I forgot the 488 was turbocharged.

an NA Z06 would be awesome again. I remember getting a ride in a family friends C6 Z06 and was just in awe of how it performed
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:53 PM   #6899
Bhobbs

Quote:
Yeah I forgot the 488 was turbocharged.

an NA Z06 would be awesome again. I remember getting a ride in a family friends C6 Z06 and was just in awe of how it performed
I've driven my dad's Z/28 plenty of times and have driven a couple ZL1s. Sure, the ZL1 is faster but the Z/28 is awesome, even with "only" 505 horsepower.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:54 PM   #6900
Bhobbs

Someone is selling a set of GM carbon fiber wheels. They could be from the C8 but no one knows for sure.

Old 02-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #6901
FenwickHockey65

The last Chevrolet Impala (for now), and the last internal combustion powered vehicle built at Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly (for now).
Old 02-27-2020, 04:22 PM   #6902

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:

The last Chevrolet Impala (for now), and the last internal combustion powered vehicle built at Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly (for now).
Thanks for posting. Good luck to the plant. I hope they made the right decisions. Too bad for the Impala, but I guess it had a good run overall. Mine is 2 1/2 years old already, zero issues. Good running car.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions