Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-06-2017, 06:07 PM   #1
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Reminder, Check your oil level after dealer oil change

It's been said on here before, but I'm bringing it up because it happened to me today. Went in for an oil change at the dealership. When I got home I checked the oil level as I always do. And guess what?? The tip on the dipstick was completely bone dry!! That's after 2 hrs. Of sitting in my garage. Absolutely no oil on any of the hash marks whatsoever. Called the service manager at the dealership and the mechanic told him he only put 8 quarts in. That's a whole 2 quarts less. Unbelievable!! My trip back home was only 4 miles so I'm not really worried about long term damage. I'm just wondering how many more Camaro owners are driving around with less than recommended oil?? With that said, the service manager at this dealership was very super nice and went out of his way to rectify the situation. All is good now. CHECKING THE OIL LEVEL YOURSELF AFTER OIL CHANGE IS A MUST!!
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
reading is hard. best to just assume one model year is the same as previous model years. Beats having to read that field on a computer screen when you punch in customer info.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #3
sprtplt

Drives: Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by STYLO LT1 View Post
It's been said on here before, but I'm bringing it up because it happened to me today... All is good now. CHECKING THE OIL LEVEL YOURSELF AFTER OIL CHANGE IS A MUST!!
Unless they also (likely) over-tightened the filter and the drain plug and lifted the car improperly. Followed by a quick wipe-down with a gritty rag.
sprtplt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #4
JR91

Drives: Camaro 1SS
I ran into a similar issue about a month ago when I got my oil changed at my dealership. After the oil change was complete, I went over the paperwork and it stated that 8 quarts was put in. I questioned my service adviser and he said that 8 quarts is correct for the vehicle. So I left confused and decided I will check the dipstick when I get home, since I only live about two miles away. When I checked the dipstick after the vehicle was sitting for a few hours, it was right where it should be. Not sure what happened, but I'm not complaining, since I was only charged for 8 quarts of oil instead of 10.
JR91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
Lerch98

Drives: 2017 2SS black on black on black.
Checking the oil level is part of the oil change.
Next time take it to a different shop.
Who knows what else they ####ed up
Lerch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #6
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR91 View Post
I ran into a similar issue about a month ago when I got my oil changed at my dealership. After the oil change was complete, I went over the paperwork and it stated that 8 quarts was put in. I questioned my service adviser and he said that 8 quarts is correct for the vehicle. So I left confused and decided I will check the dipstick when I get home, since I only live about two miles away. When I checked the dipstick after the vehicle was sitting for a few hours, it was right where it should be. Not sure what happened, but I'm not complaining, since I was only charged for 8 quarts of oil instead of 10.
If they only put 8 quarts in and the dipstick was full, then they didn't drain all the old oil out. My 1SS takes over 10 quarts to get to the full mark.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:02 PM   #7
JR91

Drives: Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
If they only put 8 quarts in and the dipstick was full, then they didn't drain all the old oil out. My 1SS takes over 10 quarts to get to the full mark.
That makes sense. I'm not worried about it since its under warranty and all of my oil changes have been documented and done at the same dealership.
JR91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:03 PM   #8
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtplt View Post
Unless they also (likely) over-tightened the filter and the drain plug and lifted the car improperly. Followed by a quick wipe-down with a gritty rag.
Oh crap, now I'm not going to be able to go to bed tonight without crawling underneath to take a look. Lol
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:26 PM   #9
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by STYLO LT1 View Post
It's been said on here before, but I'm bringing it up because it happened to me today. Went in for an oil change at the dealership. When I got home I checked the oil level as I always do. And guess what?? The tip on the dipstick was completely bone dry!! That's after 2 hrs. Of sitting in my garage. Absolutely no oil on any of the hash marks whatsoever. Called the service manager at the dealership and the mechanic told him he only put 8 quarts in. That's a whole 2 quarts less. Unbelievable!! My trip back home was only 4 miles so I'm not really worried about long term damage. I'm just wondering how many more Camaro owners are driving around with less than recommended oil?? With that said, the service manager at this dealership was very super nice and went out of his way to rectify the situation. All is good now. CHECKING THE OIL LEVEL YOURSELF AFTER OIL CHANGE IS A MUST!!

I posted about this a few months ago when the dealer changed my oil. Drove all the way home on the highway about 15 miles with it almost 2 qts low. Because of it they are giving me another free oil change.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:35 PM   #10
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
Came with my 10qt of mobil1 in my trunk
And put it myself at the dealer before he tried to put some std oil from a common tank in a dirty bucket to fill my car....
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:47 AM   #11
Cldgin2

Drives: 2017 1LE SS
How in the !?!!##!!? Do these morons not have this figured out by now? We are on the third model year of these cars for petes sake!!
Old 09-07-2017, 01:06 AM   #12
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Same thing happened to me. Service adviser looked at me like I was an alien when I confronted him about only 8 quarts being added after the oil change.

They added the 2 quarts it was missing after I showed him the bone dry dipstick.

Needless to say that dipstick and his worthless dealership won't ever see my car again.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:15 AM   #13
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Well jeez.... Not making me feel great about bringing in my SS today to my dealer for its first oil change* if this issue is still happening....

*Only bringing it in due to the headliner is sagging by the rear windshield, otherwise I would do the oil change myself.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #14
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
You think when you started the car up with the highthigh-tech computer/onstar diagnostics in there it would tell you the oil was low. How does the oil change guy check the level after filling? I doubt they wait 2 hours for the car to sit then check.
Magnum922 is offline   Reply With Quote