#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-07-2022, 08:05 PM   #29
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bef18ZL1 View Post
Just put deposit on used ZLE and this thread making me second guess my choice lol. I thought this would be better for resale, but guess no one will want it :(
I think you're wrong about that... I just got back from 2 days in my 2018 HBM ZLE at Auto Club Speedway and I had many people who own GT3s, Lambos, Ferraris, GT350s, C7 GS etc drooling over this car. Many of these guys who have large stables of sportscars want to add a ZLE to their collection but they can't find one here in CA. They've seen how it performs against everything on track and the respect grows each year. Most are already using GY 3Rs on track in their other cars, one of the gifts the ZLE project gave to the world :-)

IMHO the rarer and more distinctive ZLE will hold value or appreciate better than the regular ZL1. I was thinking of selling but will be keeping mine for at least 3-4 years. I'm not the fastest guy, but this is me at 160 MPH into turn 1 pulling away from a GT3RS followed by a C8 and an F430 Challenge, the lead got bigger each lap.
Attached Images

SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:10 PM   #30
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
Awesome picture right there, SFV1LE!

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:23 PM   #31
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
I think you're wrong about that... I just got back from 2 days in my 2018 HBM ZLE at Auto Club Speedway and I had many people who own GT3s, Lambos, Ferraris, GT350s, C7 GS etc drooling over this car. Many of these guys who have large stables of sportscars want to add a ZLE to their collection but they can't find one here in CA. They've seen how it performs against everything on track and the respect grows each year. Most are already using GY 3Rs on track in their other cars, one of the gifts the ZLE project gave to the world :-)

IMHO the rarer and more distinctive ZLE will hold value or appreciate better than the regular ZL1. I was thinking of selling but will be keeping mine for at least 3-4 years. I'm not the fastest guy, but this is me at 160 MPH into turn 1 pulling away from a GT3RS followed by a C8 and an F430 Challenge, the lead got bigger each lap.
I've had the same experience doing HPDE events with PCA. Lots of love for the ZLE. Although I've found most of the Porsches are running Cup 2s, Hoosier R7s or Pirelli slicks. I haven't seen many on GY 3Rs at the events I've driven.

This is me last year not doing anything impressive, just working my way through a green group pack lol. But the pic came out nice. Up the Esses at Watkins Glen.
Attached Images

PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 11:23 PM   #32
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
I've had the same experience doing HPDE events with PCA. Lots of love for the ZLE. Although I've found most of the Porsches are running Cup 2s, Hoosier R7s or Pirelli slicks. I haven't seen many on GY 3Rs at the events I've driven.

This is me last year not doing anything impressive, just working my way through a green group pack lol. But the pic came out nice. Up the Esses at Watkins Glen.
Here in CA (ACS, Buttonwillow, WSIR) all the savvy and fast GT3/RS, McLaren, Corvette, GT350 guys have ditched the Cup 2s for 3Rs. Yes they still use Hoosiers and Pirelli slicks too, so do I :-) I was running Hoosier A7 in that pic above and got some good lap times.

If you haven't tried PSC2 on a ZL1, let me tell you from experience they truly suck. I don't know why, they're pretty good on Porsches and other cars, but on ZL1s they suck. You'll get better track performance and longevity with standard GY SC 3 (non-R), and much cheaper.

On my 18s I run Pirelli DH scrubs and get good lap times for 2-3 days, also treat them with Hot Lap softener to extend life for another weekend.

But after running new A7, I'm convinced that if I'm buying new I'll always go 3R over R7/A7 from now on.

Last edited by SFV1LE; 06-08-2022 at 12:16 AM.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:39 PM   #33
bef18ZL1

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Just put deposit on used ZLE and this thread making me second guess my choice lol. I thought this would be better for resale, but guess no one will want it :(
2 days of ownership but only 13 miles. I feel like I'm going to break shit with the rough ride. Almost pointless to have this machine in my town unless driving on the highway. I live in a small rural town with uneven brick streets, expansion joints unfilled, etc. Not a fun ride at all going so slow. I don't mind a stiffer ride, as I owned a c6Z06 and felt a lot of bumps, but this feels stupidly low and like any bump I'm going to bottom out the bottom I'll give it awhile to enjoy more, especially adding AWE exhaust, but didn't tickle my fancy as much as watching it on YouTube.
bef18ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:55 PM   #34
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
2 days of ownership but only 13 miles. I feel like I'm going to break shit with the rough ride. Almost pointless to have this machine in my town unless driving on the highway. I live in a small rural town with uneven brick streets, expansion joints unfilled, etc. Not a fun ride at all going so slow. I don't mind a stiffer ride, as I owned a c6Z06 and felt a lot of bumps, but this feels stupidly low and like any bump I'm going to bottom out the bottom I'll give it awhile to enjoy more, especially adding AWE exhaust, but didn't tickle my fancy as much as watching it on YouTube.
I mean... you bought the track spec version of the Camaro with solid bushings and DSSV dampers. It's purpose is not to be comfy.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
Old 06-15-2022, 09:41 PM   #35
bef18ZL1

Quote:
I mean... you bought the track spec version of the Camaro with solid bushings and DSSV dampers. It's purpose is not to be comfy.
Haha as long as they don't wear out after 2k miles of driving on these roads, I'll be Ok LOL
Old 06-15-2022, 09:45 PM   #36
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Haha as long as they don't wear out after 2k miles of driving on these roads, I'll be Ok LOL
PS4S tires do improve the ride quality a bit. Not much, but it's a bit better for street driving. Save the SC3Rs for a track day

YouTube
Old 06-15-2022, 10:31 PM   #37
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Quote:
Pretty normal. The 1LE is either too rough for street driving or you lie and say it’s fine but it’s still too rough for street driving. GM didn’t create this package for the street.
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 05:35 PM   #38
bef18ZL1

Quote:
PS4S tires do improve the ride quality a bit. Not much, but it's a bit better for street driving. Save the SC3Rs for a track day
I have Cont Extreme Sports or whatever on them. Dealer said the others were unavailable when they tried to order so they went with those. I said OK since this forum mentioned they were suitable.

Scratched my side front splitter getting up steep driveway to pick kid up from daycare...weeee. Dunno how I ever owned a Z06 😆
Old 06-16-2022, 06:25 PM   #39
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Here in CA (ACS, Buttonwillow, WSIR) all the savvy and fast GT3/RS, McLaren, Corvette, GT350 guys have ditched the Cup 2s for 3Rs. Yes they still use Hoosiers and Pirelli slicks too, so do I :-) I was running Hoosier A7 in that pic above and got some good lap times.

If you haven't tried PSC2 on a ZL1, let me tell you from experience they truly suck. I don't know why, they're pretty good on Porsches and other cars, but on ZL1s they suck. You'll get better track performance and longevity with standard GY SC 3 (non-R), and much cheaper.

On my 18s I run Pirelli DH scrubs and get good lap times for 2-3 days, also treat them with Hot Lap softener to extend life for another weekend.

But after running new A7, I'm convinced that if I'm buying new I'll always go 3R over R7/A7 from now on.
I am not a fan in general of Michelin performance tires because they are known to have soft sidewalls and they use a bi-compound, so unless you are running a ton of negative camber, you are going to use up the outer edges quicker than the rest of the tire.

Having said that, I came out of my SS 1LE (came stock with GY SC3 tires) into my 2022 718 GT4 , which has Cup 2's as standard.

Before I got the car, I had convinced myself that I would be ditching the Cup 2's as soon as I wore thru them for the GY SC3 (since they come in stock sizes), however I just replaced them and I just could not get myself to lose the Cup 2's. I had no issue with them on the GT4 and with a track alignment I typically see between 1.4 to 1.47 lateral G's on my local on/off ramps. The best I saw on the 1LE was 1.25 and that was only on fresh tires.

From the tests I have seen the GY SC3 are just a tad slower than the Cup 2's (like hair thin difference) but I just couldn't get myself to do it. Maybe next time around.

I think the reason the Cup 2's do not do well on the Alpha Platform, especially on the ZL1 or ZL1 1LE variants is because those are heavy cars and the sidewalls are too soft for that much weight. It works on the Porsches because they (at least the GT cars) are in the 3100 to 3300 lb range.

Having said all that, there is no doubt the GY SC3 R's are a couple steps above the Cup 2's , but they are a track tire and need good heat in them to extract that extra grip. Hell, I have a hard enough time keeping enough heat in the Cup 2's on the street that even if they offered the SC3 R's in stock GT4 sizes (which they do not), I would not be able to enjoy them on the street.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:18 PM   #40
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
Quote:
I personally never considered my 2009 C6 Z06 ride stiff. Sporty, yes, stiff, no...

Given your initial experience, I would seriously consider taking advantage of the still crazy car market, and sell it ASAP so you can recoup as much of your money as possible. That AWE exhaust ain't going to improve anything, and worst case I think it might negatively affect the resale value.

To anyone who is considering purchasing a ZL1 1LE: Do yourself a huge favor and get a ride in one before doing so, even if you have to drive a couple of hours!!!

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:24 PM   #41
bef18ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofu View Post
I personally never considered my 2009 C6 Z06 ride stiff. Sporty, yes, stiff, no...

Given your initial experience, I would seriously consider taking advantage of the still crazy car market, and sell it ASAP so you can recoup as much of your money as possible. That AWE exhaust ain't going to improve anything, and worst case I think it might negatively affect the resale value.

To anyone who is considering purchasing a ZL1 1LE: Do yourself a huge favor and get a ride in one before doing so, even if you have to drive a couple of hours!!!

Geoff
I agree on all of that. I even looked up ground clearance and Z06 is same or less. And I drove it daily. I just don't know if I want to dump it just yet. So hard to find another manual and was a lot of work to get it here 😆 Going non 1le will feel like a downgrade, but an upgraded ride lol. I like the look of 1LE more but dunno.
Old 06-16-2022, 11:31 PM   #42
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
I agree on all of that. I even looked up ground clearance and Z06 is same or less. And I drove it daily. I just don't know if I want to dump it just yet. So hard to find another manual and was a lot of work to get it here 😆 Going non 1le will feel like a downgrade, but an upgraded ride lol. I like the look of 1LE more but dunno.
Since you have the car already you could look at getting something like an Ohlins road and track suspension system for it, afaik it can be custom tuned and is adjustable. But the GM mag ride in tour mode is also really excellent, I have a SLE and put it in tour and it does surprisingly well on rural and forest service dirt roads I end up driving on to get to trailheads. The ZL1 is far more suited to driving on roads imo. If manual, ZLE has a much shorter 6th gear so non-LE is going to be far better on the highway.

Tags
comparison, magride, suspension