Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-21-2016, 11:36 PM   #547
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
Well, let me ask the next question. Maybe our friendly moderator who was at the unveiling will know. The Z/28 had a dealer allocation process based on a very limited production number. The Z06 also has a dealer allocation though a higher production # than the Z/28. The dealer I will be buying my ZL1 from told me the day of the release they expect the ZL1 to have a dealer allocation much like the Z06 (which they got 39 of based on being a very high volume dealer). So, will this complicate things for the ZL1 like it did for the Z/28 or will we be able to go into a dealer and order one like they can an SS? I know we don't have answers right now but I am going out of my mind thinking of little things like this.
Odds are there will be allocations at the start of production if they feel the initial demand will outstrip production.

It's a fairly common practice when a car is a new model.

When I wanted a ZL1 convertible, I could place an order early before production started, but GM's acceptance of the order had to wait until and IF the dealer received any allocations. Bad news was, when the first 6 months allocations were revealed, my dealer only got a single allocation for the convertible. The good news was I was first on the dealers list for wanting to buy one and the allocation went to me.

Once production starts to catch up with demand, I suspect the allocation need will diminish and go away.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:12 AM   #548
GoneBoy

Drives: '17 ZL1
I wonder with the auto tranny and sunroof if it's right back at 4,000 lbs again, assuming around 75lbs for each?
GoneBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:48 AM   #549
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoy View Post
I wonder with the auto tranny and sunroof if it's right back at 4,000 lbs again, assuming around 75lbs for each?
I believe the auto is barely heavier than the manual maybe 10 lbs? The sunroof may add 20lbs Max.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #550
GoneBoy

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro19 View Post
I believe the auto is barely heavier than the manual maybe 10 lbs? The sunroof may add 20lbs Max.
Interesting. I guess that makes sense for the tranny. Apologies for not thinking before typing. But i would have thought the sunroof was heavier. That's reassuring though if not. Thx
GoneBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:09 AM   #551
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Also, the A8 is lighter than the A6 and based on the commentary and drawing of the upcoming A10, it's not even that much different in terms of exterior design and probably only modestly heavier due to a few extra shift elements

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/01/...#ixzz436NIi6Cy

So, from what I've seen, I don't think the A10 will have a serious weight penalty like autos of the past.... I would think the bulk of the Z's weight will be in the other areas of the car that will be present in both stick and auto (e.g. - beefy shafts, axles, etc.)
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #552
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
Also, the A8 is lighter than the A6 and based on the commentary and drawing of the upcoming A10, it's not even that much different in terms of exterior design and probably only modestly heavier due to a few extra shift elements

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/01/...#ixzz436NIi6Cy

So, from what I've seen, I don't think the A10 will have a serious weight penalty like autos of the past.... I would think the bulk of the Z's weight will be in the other areas of the car that will be present in both stick and auto (e.g. - beefy shafts, axles, etc.)
I tend to agree. Another check in the A10s favor...I can't wait to get some more information about it.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:22 PM   #553
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I tend to agree. Another check in the A10s favor...I can't wait to get some more information about it.
GM really seems to be out for blood as of late with their family of Hi-Perf cars from CTS/ATS, to Corvettes and now the Camaro line.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #554
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
GM really seems to be out for blood as of late with their family of Hi-Perf cars from CTS/ATS, to Corvettes and now the Camaro line.
It all started in 2006, imho.

In that year two huge things happened:

- They introduced the C6 Z06 with it's awesome LS7 engine. The engineers remembered what high HP tasted like...

- The Camaro concept was unveiled and automotive world melted. When they green-lighted it a few months later, the gears started turning.

-(Meanwhile, Ford was having fun cancelling the GT, and playing around with a 300hp V8 in its Mustang)

General Motors - with the help of people like Bob Lutz, Rick Wagoner, Mark Reuss, Al Oppenheiser, and Tadge Juechter - has remembered how to build the best performance cars in the world. The 2017 ZL1 is the latest demonstration to everyone, of what the company's management, engineers, and designers can do when they're set loose.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #555
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
I put it all on Mary Barra. She is a brilliant lady with vision and intelligence. I like the A10 idea as it provides snap quick shifting only found in modified versions of earlier transmissions. Would still love to see a tt version of the LT4.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:39 PM   #556
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
It all started in 2006, imho.

In that year two huge things happened:

- They introduced the C6 Z06 with it's awesome LS7 engine. The engineers remembered what high HP tasted like...

- The Camaro concept was unveiled and automotive world melted. When they green-lighted it a few months later, the gears started turning.

-(Meanwhile, Ford was having fun cancelling the GT, and playing around with a 300hp V8 in its Mustang)

General Motors - with the help of people like Bob Lutz, Rick Wagoner, Mark Reuss, Al Oppenheiser, and Tadge Juechter - has remembered how to build the best performance cars in the world. The 2017 ZL1 is the latest demonstration to everyone, of what the company's management, engineers, and designers can do when they're set loose.
Ed Welburn has also done a great service to GM's performance car lineup. I think he used his personal 69 Camaro as inspiration for the designers of the 5th gen Camaro.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #557
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
I put it all on Mary Barra. She is a brilliant lady with vision and intelligence. I like the A10 idea as it provides snap quick shifting only found in modified versions of earlier transmissions. Would still love to see a tt version of the LT4.
Mark Reuss (Executive Vice President) and Dan Ammann (President) driving hot laps with the media at the ZL1 event says a lot about the mindset of the company also.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:08 PM   #558
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Ed Welburn has also done a great service to GM's performance car lineup. I think he used his personal 69 Camaro as inspiration for the designers of the 5th gen Camaro.
Yes, definitely! Him, Tom Peters, Adam Barry, Sangyup and Hwasup...and countless others I cannot remember have worked equally as hard to turn sketches and designs into functional components towards performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
Mark Reuss (Executive Vice President) and Dan Ammann (President) driving hot laps with the media at the ZL1 event says a lot about the mindset of the company also.
I still cannot wrap my head around that...I'm pretty sure Mark Reuss had his own helmet, too - because I don't think Chevrolet communications/marketing footed the bill for a carbon fiber helmet.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:26 AM   #559
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Uploaded first real life pics of the ZL1 from the NY Auto Show

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445462

Old 03-24-2016, 08:38 PM   #560
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
You're gonna need an LT4 engine subforum
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote