Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Driving in manual mode....

I just tried it today, and it was weird. I actually had to shift. lol. I'm not use to doing that. And there was something interesting that happened, I was driving at 60 and hit the paddle shifter on the left twice, and all of a sudden the engine roared and jumped to 3,000 RPM. What's that about?! Can someone explain? Ain't it something, when I floor my car in auto the engine jumps to 3,000 Rpm too. So I'm guessing,....when I hit the left paddle shifter twice I was suppose to step on it when it went to 3,000rpm? :-)

I wonder what else it can do...
I gotta learn how to drive in manual mode,.....
Any other tricks I should know about while driving in manual?
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
I don't have an auto, but I'm guessing the left paddle is your down shift. If you're in paddle-shift mode and you tap the left twice you will downshift two gears.
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared View Post
I don't have an auto, but I'm guessing the left paddle is your down shift. If you're in paddle-shift mode and you tap the left twice you will downshift two gears.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I was first doing about 60,...then I slowed down and did 50 and kept it constant then hit the left shifter twice and the engine jumped to 3,000 rpm. It was like power on the tap,....makes me think I was suppose to floor it.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
Old 01-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
The tap shift is fun because you can run the gears out further .... I just wish the shift was harsher, seems a little soft. Back in the day I ran B&M mods to Turbo400 and when it shifted you knew it !!!
Old 01-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
svtjackal

Drives: 2010 SIM camaro-2001 svt Lightning
don't know if you know this but I'll tell you anyway

when you put the shifter on M and don't click/touch the paddles the car will still shift gears by itself just more aggressively that is sport mode, then if you click/touch the paddles it becomes manual mode.

Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin Camaro Owners check out www.chicago5thgen.com
svtjackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtjackal View Post
don't know if you know this but I'll tell you anyway

when you put the shifter on M and don't click/touch the paddles the car will still shift gears by itself just more aggressively that is sport mode, then if you click/touch the paddles it becomes manual mode.
Yeah, I know that already,....but what you are telling me is that just putting the car in "sport mode" makes it shift more aggressively? Well, how am I suppose to know it's shifting "more aggressively"? What will I see?

I thought it was sport mode because I can manual shift with the paddlers. It's not a true manual but I guess it's close enough.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
Old 01-09-2010, 02:54 AM   #7
Bryan

Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
By more aggressively I believe he means it will shift at higher rpm. Don't quote me on it though I got the manual.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:21 AM   #8
MrE

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
OP, you are getting Sport mode vs. Manual mode confused. Dropping it from Automatic down to Manual in the shift tree, if you don't use the paddles to shift, you are in Sport mode. It will have more aggressive shifts instead of the 2000rpm shifts when in auto mode. When you tap the paddles, it goes from Sport to Manual mode, and will hold the current gear you are in until you hit the paddle again.

What you did in your original post was downshift twice out of what your current gear. What I suspect happened that forced you to shift in the first place, is that at some point you may have inadvertently hit one of the paddles to force it out of Sport mode and into Manual mode.
Delivered to customer 11/24/09 - Happy ever since.
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Random question since I hardly ever use M:

If you're in manual mode, does the car have a safety? As in, does it actually let you go through the redline rpms or will it eventually shift up itself? I know it shifts down to 2nd itself in M; I wondered if it also shifted up.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #10
tightchevelle69
Derrick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFemme View Post
Random question since I hardly ever use M:

If you're in manual mode, does the car have a safety? As in, does it actually let you go through the redline rpms or will it eventually shift up itself? I know it shifts down to 2nd itself in M; I wondered if it also shifted up.
no. it will give you a message on the DIC basically telling you that the shift is not allowed. like if your rpms are too high and you try to downshift. im not sure about the up shifting thing as i have not tried it, but it probly either shifts itself or will just hit some type of rev limiter.

2010 ABM 2SS/RS, A6, home Dec 10th, wifes birthday present!
2007 GMC Yukon XL, 2000 S10 Xtreme, 1969 Chevelle
tightchevelle69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #11
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
I think I can help clarify...I've been using Tap Shift quite a bit lately--it's a blast. Here's how it all works:

In the Auto (L99 or V-6), you have three drive modes:

1. "D" - normal drive (with automatic shifting, "D" shows in bottom left corner of DIC)
2. "M" - sport mode (with automatic shifting, "S" shows in bottom left corner of DIC)
3. "M with tap-shift" - Sport mode with tap shift (No automatic shifting, "M1 thru M6" shows in bottom left corner of DIC)

You know how normal "D" works, so I'll skip that. With the shifter in "M," as long as you do not touch the tap-shift buttons, the car will shift up and down automatically for you, but at higher, more aggressive shift points than when you are in "D."

Now, while in "M," if you touch either tap shift button, you put the car in tap-shift mode and you MUST manually shift up using the right hand button. If you do not shift up, you will reach the rev limiter for the gear you are in and will feel a cut in the power at that point.

You can manually downshift if you like as well (really fun--and sounds great!), but if the downshift you attempt is more than the transmission can handle, you will see a "Shift Denied" message in the DIC (so basically, it won't let you hurt the engine/tranny).

You do not have to shift down manually, though. If you do nothing as you slow down, the car will automatically shift down through the gears to M2 (in the L99) or to M1 (in the V6). In the L99, if you want to go all the way down to M1, you must manually down shift to that gear.

Hope this clears things up a bit! Now...go forth and tap-shift. It's a blast!

Last edited by PnCRedJwl2SS; 01-09-2010 at 10:52 AM.
PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #12
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
I think I figured out how to get my car to downshift to 1st in tutd mode. But it will never upshift on its own. Trust me, I tried.....not on purpose I might add.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #13
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
I think I can help clarify...I've been using Tap Shift quite a bit lately--it's a blast. Here's how it all works:

In the Auto (L99 or V-6), you have three drive modes:

1. "D" - normal drive (with automatic shifting, "D" shows in bottom left corner of DIC)
2. "M" - sport mode (with automatic shifting, "S" shows in bottom left corner of DIC)
3. "M with tap-shift" - Sport mode with tap shift (No automatic shifting, "M1 thru M6" shows in bottom left corner of DIC)

You know how normal "D" works, so I'll skip that. With the shifter in "M," as long as you do not touch the tap-shift buttons, the car will shift up and down automatically for you, but at higher, more aggressive shift points than when you are in "D."

Now, while in "M," if you touch either tap shift button, you put the car in tap-shift mode and you MUST manually shift up using the right hand button. If you do not shift up, you will reach the rev limiter for the gear you are in and will feel a cut in the power at that point.

You can manually downshift if you like as well (really fun--and sounds great!), but if the downshift you attempt is more than the transmission can handle, you will see a "Shift Denied" message in the DIC (so basically, it won't let you hurt the engine/tranny).

You do not have to shift down manually, though. If you do nothing as you slow down, the car will automatically shift down through the gears to M2 (in the L99) or to M1 (in the V6). In the L99, if you want to go all the way down to M1, you must manually down shift to that gear.

Hope this clears things up a bit! Now...go forth and tap-shift. It's a blast!
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #14
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
I think I figured out how to get my car to downshift to 1st in tutd mode. But it will never upshift on its own. Trust me, I tried.....not on purpose I might add.
Me too.

I was accidentally in manual/tap shift mode at the track. I thought I was in sport mode, but I must have accidentally hit the tap shifters while staging or launching off the line. Well when I got to about 70 mph or so (7000 rpms on the tach - yes the tach was stuck at 7000 rpms) and my car didn't shift to 3rd gear, I figured out what was going on and let off the gas.

And just the other day I did a major screw up. I had in in M (Sport) and tapped down two gears (like the OP described) while having the gas floored. The tranny dropped me down two gears (gas still floored) and within a second or two I was hitting fuel cut off deep into redline territory.

I'm getting to the point where I don't even want to use M mode anymore.

And to the OP (Thread Starter).

The left paddles are for down shifting.
The right paddles are for unshifting.

So when you tap the left paddle twice you drop 2 gears (example - from 5th to 3rd gear) thus the rpms jump up the tach.

And for anyone that's new to the L99 A6, let the computer do the shifing if your ever in a race situation. Letting the computer do the shifting will get you from point A to point B faster.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote