Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-04-2016, 09:04 PM   #1
Navy Chief MoonsSS

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3
Supercharging "pulling the trigger"

Hey guys...so I am finally going to pull the trigger so to speak and I have been speaking with Chris at ECS about their Novi 1500 S/C package. I also want to get some LT headers with it...so over all the car will have full Borla exhaust and AR Lt's with the S/C from ECS. I don't want meth or anything crazy just some more getty-up. This being my daily driver I am just wondering how the reliability is with the forced induction...either way I am doing it...I just want to know if their is anything up front I should do to give it a long healthy life? And I don't want to have to upgrade suspension and things...Active duty Navy with three kiddos so budget is important lol. Is this a practical setup? Thank you for your time. Oh btw car has 64k miles on it all fluids have been changed and maintenance kept up very well.
Navy Chief MoonsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:17 PM   #2
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Thank you for your service.

While that combo has been proven to be reliable, shit happens. Even stock motors blow up. If money really is tight, I would strongly consider something else. Clutch, axles, diffs, etc can all have issues as you start to add power, and can be expensive to fix.

ECS/LT is a great combo, but when people are talking about kids and a budget, it makes me cringe to think of what can happen if it pops. It shouldn't, but no one should be modding unless they are ready to replace a motor at any given time.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:34 PM   #3
failshift
Banned

Supercharging "pulling the trigger"

*raises hand*

Shit happens. I saved up. Working 80-90hrs a week. Paid for my blower cash. All my new gauges. Intake. Everything cash. Then 600mi after install needed a new engine.
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:47 PM   #4
Navy Chief MoonsSS

Wow that is scary! Don't get me wrong I have enough to buy a new engine if this happen...been saving the pennies right for a while now but I can say this has been a dream of mine my whole life and I do know it is costly, but is it more of a money pit than it is worth? Or can I s/c with good success and longevity? That is one of the main reasons I contacted ECS for the right professional expertise to do the job. I want to eventually pass this car on to my son. And thank you for your support. I serve willingly and happily because of my family and their support!
Old 07-04-2016, 09:49 PM   #5
Navy Chief MoonsSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by failshift View Post
*raises hand*

Shit happens. I saved up. Working 80-90hrs a week. Paid for my blower cash. All my new gauges. Intake. Everything cash. Then 600mi after install needed a new engine.
Might I ask what happened? Sorry that happened to you.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #6
failshift
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief MoonsSS View Post
Might I ask what happened? Sorry that happened to you.

Freak circumstance. Bent a connecting rod in half at 565rwhp only 8 psi
Old 07-04-2016, 10:23 PM   #7
Navy Chief MoonsSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by failshift View Post
Freak circumstance. Bent a connecting rod in half at 565rwhp only 8 psi
Ouch! And that required a whole new engine? I am not the smartest when it comes to this stuff I was hoping maybe something like 550-600 myself and also hoping to keep boost low around 5-6 in order to add her but not strain the engine. Should I upgrade the rods then to make this safer? And btw I really respect the fact that you worked long hard hours in order to realize your goal/dream and again I am sorry the freakish things happened. I thank you for your responses and hopefully I can get my dream car with longevity and reliability *very humble face*
Old 07-04-2016, 10:54 PM   #8
Gearheaded

Drives: 2014 SS
Quote:
Ouch! And that required a whole new engine? I am not the smartest when it comes to this stuff I was hoping maybe something like 550-600 myself and also hoping to keep boost low around 5-6 in order to add her but not strain the engine. Should I upgrade the rods then to make this safer? And btw I really respect the fact that you worked long hard hours in order to realize your goal/dream and again I am sorry the freakish things happened. I thank you for your responses and hopefully I can get my dream car with longevity and reliability *very humble face*
Sometimes it requires a new engine, sometimes they can machine the engine and save it, everything is circumstantial.

Honestly have you thought about just a cam? You make between 460-500 depending on the cam and it definitely adds some pickup. It'll save you money as well. Obviously it's not sub 600rwhp, but it is a huge pickup for less than 3k usually.

Just a thought.

Don't get me wrong, I'll all for FI. I'll be either adding a blower to my car or buying a ZL1 here in the near future, I haven't decided yet, but I'll definitely be doing FI. Just a temporary thought for you until things get a little less tight or you pick up a beater.
2009 YZF R1 - Race bike (road course)(totaled racing)
2008 YZF R6 - Race bike (road course)(still own)
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:07 AM   #9
avido

Drives: camaro ss\rs
Quote:
don't be so scared. it's plenty of people with more then 10 psi on stock bottom end without problem. there is someone who has 19psi from the lsa conversion without problem. boost doesen't always mean blow the engine
2014 camaro SS Whipple powered ,3.750 pulley,ID850, CAI,Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust,MGW racing shifter,Bo White ported tb,MightyMouse Catch Can,Vitesse throttle controller,GM 3.91 rear end, Dynatech longtube haders, BTR Pd cam,Fluidampr stock pulley,ZL1 fuel pump and ADM fpcm, Phastek scoop and fluid thank relocation Bmr Motor mount . Tuned by Mastuning

avido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:32 AM   #10
Todd808
ANTI-MATTER Hawaii band

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS, manual,Kooks,
I have a magnuson, 6 psi boost. Long tubes. 30,000 miles. Although I just bought the car, I know the previous owner. And the car. The supercharger has been on for 15,000 flawless miles already. 100's of 1/4 passes on drag radials and many high speed runs. This car could be a daily driver and was, but now it's a weekend warrior. Oops, I forgot though. The stock clutch did not last long. Got a monster stage 3 in there now j believe. Have to check the receipts to verify.
Supercharging power curves are awesome !!
2010 SS LS3 6speed. Supercharged, kooks Lt heeders, 3" exhaust,monster clutch, 1000 hp axles, peeders drop springs, hurst short throw, borla. Hotchkins race pack, all lights blacked out. 1.2" front 1.5" rear drop
Todd808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:36 AM   #11
Navy Chief MoonsSS

Thanks for the responses...and yes I have thought of just the cam and in order to do that right...upgrade the heads and springs and alp that stuff is still around 5k $...so nother saving money on that...it is in most people's thought that it is under 3k and I guess it "could" be but I don't want it to bite the dust because of a cam without the right stuff either. And that's what I am hoping as far as daily driver...I have 3 vehicles so if I need to I CAN keep the miles off of the Camaro...but lol where's the fun in that? I bought the monster in order to have fun and show it off...from my roots I don't want problems hince why I am avoiding meth and all of the above 650 rwhp world. I just want a reliable few pounds of boost...I mean factory cars come wIth this now a days...thank you again for your opinions and thoughts.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:42 AM   #12
Navy Chief MoonsSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd808 View Post
I have a magnuson, 6 psi boost. Long tubes. 30,000 miles. Although I just bought the car, I know the previous owner. And the car. The supercharger has been on for 15,000 flawless miles already. 100's of 1/4 passes on drag radials and many high speed runs. This car could be a daily driver and was, but now it's a weekend warrior. Oops, I forgot though. The stock clutch did not last long. Got a monster stage 3 in there now j believe. Have to check the receipts to verify.
Supercharging power curves are awesome !!
Thank you lol and quick question ...is that if you are beating on the clutch? I am not planning on getting forced induction and becoming"Rambo" or anything lol just more power without the 1/4 or pushing it at the line even...I have never been a fan of 0-anything because that hurts the car...I am more of a fan of pulls like 50-100 (also hurts the car) but less.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:18 AM   #13
failshift
Banned

Quote:

It was cheaper for me to buy a LSX crate engine than it was to have mine fixed properly (stroker) because doing the stroker. I would've ended up needing a few more things for the power I would've ended up at.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:21 AM   #14
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Start from the ground up. Tires, wheels, suspension, bushings, etc. That will easily eat your $5k budget up. You will want/need all that stuff anyways when you add power.