Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-19-2019, 09:24 PM   #1
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
ECS / Vortech - Paxton Novi 1500 Results

Well I must say it has been a stressful couple of months. Ordered my ECS / Vortech kit the week of Thanksgiving and had most of the stuff to begin the install by mid-December.

Original plan was the ECS kit with Novi 1500 with about 7-8lbs of boost on 91 octane (that is the best commonly available premium in MN). And then moved to adding a Alky kit to attempt to add more fuel on the top to try and reach 10-11 lbs.

Kit install went well - I had never put one on before but have been around engines and doing rebuilds my whole life so I wasn't intimidated. Other than some hiccups getting some communication worked out with ECS on pulleys and boost (which wasn't a big deal), the S/C went smooth as glass.

Now, the Alky kit on the other hand, while being a very well built and thought out product, the instructions for it are really open for interpretation. They have some rough guidelines for a 6th gen install, but you pretty much are left figuring a lot of it out on your own. (component location, where to run the lines, wires, etc....). Julio there is great to deal with - answered all questions very promptly.

After that was installed in mid-Jan, I had a longing concern in the back of my mind about fuel supply. I knew we could feed it to over 600hp with the LT1 HPFP & Injectors along with the Alky kit, but I knew if we had any hiccups in the Alky kit, I would roach the motor. I then pulled the trigger on a LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors and installed everything once they arrived. Other than that, it is a bone stock LT1.

The car was done by early Feb and I made my appointment for 3/19 with Carl Thomas at CJTunes. Took forever for the day to get here.

We went into this morning with the cogged gearing on the system targeted for what we thought was 11-12psi (about 51k on the Novi head unit), 91octane and no meth. First pulls with in the 560s, then 590 pretty quickly at only 5400-5500 rpm. We weren't running a lot of timing (5deg) and Carl started to voice some concern about boost. Said he had to keep pushing it some to creep up on how the fuel supply and timing looked - but we ended up at 670hp at only 5900rpm. The bad news was is we were at 12lbs already, and he informed me we will be north of 14lbs at 6500. He massaged it to 709hp at 6100 but pulled the plug at 14psi. We both felt we were headed towards disaster at 6500.

Unfortunately I only had one other pulley with me - a 30T lower cogged pulley which is the front side of the jackshaft - we would be dropping 4T, which according to ECS would net us about 4lbs loss. It felt like I was going to be way under boosted, but Carl said lets give it a try. Good news is we were in the clear to run it to 6500. First pull with the new setup was 565, then 590. Carl then said it was time to turn on the Alky - and with 91 & meth we smacked 657H/582T after some timing tweaks. He said we had a ton of room on fuel left, so to just pour all 15 gallons of E85 in and we will go for it.

We had to re-install the pin on the SMG fuel sensor as the pin really doesn't fit in the plug real well, but once we had the sensor talking to the ECU - Carl rolled it on and after 4 pulls we were sitting happy at 9.5lbs / 709H / 643T! North of 700 on a stock lt1, no headers, stock cam / heads / intake. He has tuned a lot of GenV LT1s and said none have come close to this on a stock engine. Some 680s on roots blowers but with headers. He thinks 750 could be in it on Meth / E85 / and 11lbs. He figures the head unit is suited very well for the engine. FYI - no pic of Run12 which had the 709/643 number - should get info from the tuner this week.

We are running it here for now - but I am very elated with my results. Nothing but great things to say about the help from Alex & Chris at ECS, and I would highly recommend Carl at CJTunes for any dyno or email tuning.

My build start to finish:
ECS Novi 1500 Head Unit / Stock Crank Pulley / 3.6" Jackshaft Serpentine Pulley / 30T Lower Jackshaft Cogged Pulley / 32T Cogged Pulley on the HU - Alky Control fuel nozzle meth kit with twin 10# nozzles / all stock pot settings / gain set to "5" - Stock 1LE Tank Pump / LT4 HPFP / LT4 Injectors - Secondary Cat Delete - Elite Engineering Catch Can - NGK LTR7IX Plugs / MSD Wires

2018 1SS 1LE LT1 Tune / ECS Novi 1500

Last edited by DorkMissile; 03-20-2019 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Added Pic from Tuner
DorkMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:54 AM   #2
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Wow that's incredible!. Congrats!
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:10 AM   #3
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
What percentage e are you running? You feel comfortable pushing that much boost on stock internals? @laynlo was running over 700whp with stock internals, but he just rebuilt with rods/pistons and cam.

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:16 AM   #4
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
awesome numbers!!! can't wait til i'm at that power level.
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:10 AM   #5
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsagacity View Post
What percentage e are you running? You feel comfortable pushing that much boost on stock internals? @laynlo was running over 700whp with stock internals, but he just rebuilt with rods/pistons and cam.
He is only at 9.5psi. Those numbers are what most cam setups make with headers at that psi. Laynlo was at 14psi when his popped.

nice results!
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:14 AM   #6
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Very nice setup/numbers. Now get out there and drive it for an even bigger smile on your face.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #7
DorkMissile

Offical numbers from the tuner - I must have mis-heard him on the torque, but 500FtLbs at 2500rpm is pretty meaty

E-Content was 68% on the gauge. Car had 2-ish gallons of 91 Premium (E10 is standard MN premium) and 12 gallons of E85 that measured 85% at the pump)

As far as the boost level goes - the tuner is a very knowledgeable guy and when we were at 12+psi at 6000RPM he took it upon himself to warn me that we were getting to no-mans land. He said he would be comfortable if it was his car, but he wouldn’t want to give it to a customer like that. I asked “on a scale of 1-10, where do you think we will end up as far ask risk” and he answered “6-7”. I then made the call to switch from the 34T fogged pulley on the jackshaft to the 30T

Had we had a 32T on hand, I would have run it and think we would have been there.

Carl said the headers would hep ease his concern on the boost more than anything - so I may save my scheckles and do Kooks 1-7/8” and the 32T. He thinks we would be 750 at 10.5-11lbs and still pretty safe.

As far as the current tune - his words exactly “You could drive this thing like a teen-ager and not have to worry about it”
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2019, 02:17 PM   #8
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
That's crazy.
Glad it all worked out!

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #9
streetyme

Drives: 2016 2SS nav mag ride npp a8
Those are Great #'s for that boost.. I have a Whipple going on , but I like seeing all types of builds and different forms of boost...
Weld Laguna 17x10 18x5

2006 mustang gt Magnuson Livernois stage 2 heads stage 2 blower cams dynatech headers 4.10's Circle D convertor 533/511bs) (9.8lbs)
streetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #10
tom's2005gto

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 Convertible
Wow. Very nice congrats. I have the vortech system, LT4 fuel system and aux fuel system along with ported MSD intake, ported 95tb, headers, and exhaust, all sitting in the box waiting to install soon. Still debating doing cam and pistons first.

Last edited by tom's2005gto; 03-20-2019 at 08:31 PM.
tom's2005gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:02 PM   #11
DorkMissile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom's2005gto View Post
Wow. Very nice congrats. I have the vortech system, LT4 fuel system and aux fuel system along with ported MSD intake, ported 95tb, headers, and exhaust, all sitting in the box waiting to install soon. Still debating doing cam and pistons first.
Vortech directly or ECS? The difference will be the head unit. The Vortech kit uses a V3-Si, which is a little less CFM than the Paxton 1500SL that the ECS comes with. It really is the same kit other than head units (ECS buys the head units from Vortech to their specifications and stocks them at their place in New Jersey), when I bought mine I got one box from ECS and two BIG boxes from Vortech in California.

You should have enough fuel to feed it with the second fuel pump all the way up.

My tuner has worked with a lot of E85 / Meth builds on LS/LT engines, he recommended the E85 to be able to run a lot of timing and the meth to be able to keep the charge cool.

I would assume for bigger numbers on gasoline you would want the pistons, headers and cam to control pressure and get max timing. We are basically skirting around it because of the E85.

To be honest to me it looks like you can feed that head unit without the aux fuel system (If it is the V3-Si).

Vortech does have a V3-YSi available which is a similar kit with the bigger HU and a HD 10-rib accessory drive (mine is the standard 6-Rib), which is a 2200CFM unit which will feed well past 1100hp.

ECS basically uses the Novi blowers because Vortech doesn't have a self contained HU any bigger than the Si for the Camaro. It uses a opposite rotation unit from the most common ones that Vortech sells, and their bigger options are all oil-fed blowers. The Novi 1500SL is the same as a Vortech V3-Ti unit that is made to spin the other direction.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:16 PM   #12
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
I was just looking at the install PDF for this kit. Wow quite a bit different from the Procharger. Very cool though to see how two different kits tackle things.

One thing I really like that you have is that heat shield right below the inlet filter and also the filter you have looks really cool.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:23 PM   #13
DorkMissile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
I was just looking at the install PDF for this kit. Wow quite a bit different from the Procharger. Very cool though to see how two different kits tackle things.

One thing I really like that you have is that heat shield right below the inlet filter and also the filter you have looks really cool.
The heat shield came with the Vortech kit, however the air cleaner came from ECS. That is the only other component from ECS that isn’t from Vortech. I ended up with the round Vortech filter also.

I had a D1SC quoted also and think the head unit is fine, but didn’t like the long belt and the adapter that went in the end of the crank pulley. In the end this has more belt area and less drag. The cogged belt sounds a little odd, but hood closed and you barely hear anything. BOV is actually quiet (has a air filter on it that acts like a muffler)
Old 03-21-2019, 06:33 AM   #14
tom's2005gto

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
Vortech directly or ECS? The difference will be the head unit. The Vortech kit uses a V3-Si, which is a little less CFM than the Paxton 1500SL that the ECS comes with. It really is the same kit other than head units (ECS buys the head units from Vortech to their specifications and stocks them at their place in New Jersey), when I bought mine I got one box from ECS and two BIG boxes from Vortech in California.

You should have enough fuel to feed it with the second fuel pump all the way up.

My tuner has worked with a lot of E85 / Meth builds on LS/LT engines, he recommended the E85 to be able to run a lot of timing and the meth to be able to keep the charge cool.

I would assume for bigger numbers on gasoline you would want the pistons, headers and cam to control pressure and get max timing. We are basically skirting around it because of the E85.

To be honest to me it looks like you can feed that head unit without the aux fuel system (If it is the V3-Si).

Vortech does have a V3-YSi available which is a similar kit with the bigger HU and a HD 10-rib accessory drive (mine is the standard 6-Rib), which is a 2200CFM unit which will feed well past 1100hp.

ECS basically uses the Novi blowers because Vortech doesn't have a self contained HU any bigger than the Si for the Camaro. It uses a opposite rotation unit from the most common ones that Vortech sells, and their bigger options are all oil-fed blowers. The Novi 1500SL is the same as a Vortech V3-Ti unit that is made to spin the other direction.
Good infor thanks. And yes, my kit came from ECS as well.
tom's2005gto is offline   Reply With Quote