Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
GM4LIFE
*KissMySS*13 my other 1/2

Drives: 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE
2013 Camaro L99 Exhaust

I have a 2SS/RS on its way but......
I want some loud exhaust and want it done as soon as the car comes in. I feel the stock exhaust is WAY to quite.

-I want to keep a warranty. So prob no tune.

I thought about just doing straight pipe and reusing the stock tips. We have a local exhaust shop in town that will do it for cheap. I have seen a lot of threads and people doing this on LS3s and tuned L99s. My question is:

Is it going to be extremely noticeable when the AFM kicks in? I don't want a Camaro that sounds like a Cobalt.

Will there be an enormous amount of drone without disabling AFM at lower speeds?

Would I be better off going with the Borla ATAK or something similar? I would like to go with the straight pipe after resonators.

Please Help a fellow member out

Thanks!
GM4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
JEFF75645

Drives: his wife crazy buying mods
I have headers, custom x pipe, and Lingenfelter axle back and have been told by a few people that it's obnoxiously loud. And no drone. And the afm wasn't very noticeable.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Careful what you wish for lol. I have no tune and a Magnaflow comp 3" catback. It is a little louder at idle. Pretty decent at normal driving ranges and really loud at WOT.

But, yes it does drone and the sounds cuts in and out with the AFM. Most people would HATE it but, i deal with it as it's going to be tuned out soon enough.

If you don't want a tune check out Solo with the J pipes. kills the drone and sounds pretty decent.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
TheNewCzar

Drives: 2011 SS Rally Yellow Vert, 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF75645 View Post
I have headers, custom x pipe, and Lingenfelter axle back and have been told by a few people that it's obnoxiously loud. And no drone. And the afm wasn't very noticeable.
Mission Accomplished

I have Kooks headers, Kooks hiflo cats, magnaflow tru-x replaced chamber of horrors , SLP LMII axle back. I left the rest of the exhaust stock including the weird springy things.

Sounds great with a deep growl and zero drone.
TheNewCzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
Ishamj1

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
AFM is the only thing I hate about these cars
Ishamj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
GM4LIFE
*KissMySS*13 my other 1/2

Drives: 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
If you don't want a tune check out Solo with the J pipes. kills the drone and sounds pretty decent.
I just checked this out and WOW! sounds good I think I'm still going to try the straight pipe idea and well if I don't like it I can always change it. BUT THAT is what I'm looking for!
GM4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Smilinirish

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS Victory Red
I have a 2013 2SS Automatic and just ordered the Borla ATAK axel backs (Christmas present early from my wife).

What are folks referring to about the AFM? I realize that the fuel management system (and the mid span muffler) have to stay in tact - but will the sound better then stock?
Smilinirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Warrantys are for Toyotas!

Tune that AFM crap out and run it loud and proud!

I have kooks, no cats( cats are for the softies) and flowmaster 3" out the back thru a center mount exhaust! Loud and love it! Tuned at Straightline!
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilinirish View Post
I have a 2013 2SS Automatic and just ordered the Borla ATAK axel backs (Christmas present early from my wife).

What are folks referring to about the AFM? I realize that the fuel management system (and the mid span muffler) have to stay in tact - but will the sound better then stock?

AFM when it shuts down to 4 cylinders at cruise...it can sound quite bad.

I really really like the Borla Atak WITH cats and stock manifolds. It gets a bit rough after you go headers and hiflo cats
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
2SSRSinBama

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro CGM
AFM sounds terrible once the stock mufflers come off...

either invest in some j-pipes or be prepared to tune out AFM if you don't want your car to sound like crap... there is a reason the L99s have those boats for mufflers, lol

once AFM is tuned out, well, its a typical V8 and most exhaust systems will sound great on it

2010 Camaro SS L99... has a few mods
2SSRSinBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
IMO The stock exhaust does an AWESOME job of getting rid of the AFM noise. as soon as thats gone you are gonna notice it. i only drove with my Corsa for a few days before i got it tuned out. and i wasnt a fan of the sound at all when it was in AFM mode.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
louder the better, get Flowmaster
Old 11-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
2SSRSinBama

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro CGM
when I got my car retuned using Hptuners a few months ago, I forgot to tell my tuner to disable it after we did the logging of my car and adjusted the tune... we put it out on the highway and he thought something was wrong with my car, lmao... I said "nope, we just didn't cut off AFM"... it sounded like pure shit with headers, no resonator, and no cats... luckily it took all of 5 seconds in getting it to sound like a damn V8 on the highway

2010 Camaro SS L99... has a few mods
2SSRSinBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #14
SoTHavok

Drives: 1
Forget the warranty. id say buy your headers (of your choice) which cat-back or no again upto you. and save $$$$ you won't need the warranty haven't seen to many problems or heard of any with the car.

i wish i did buy exhaust with my headers. ended up getting american flowmaster for my L99 and paying about the same as i couldv'e paid for headers + pipes/cats/ not sure if it would sound the same but would definately save couple 100$. and i still dont have headers LOL also i tuned the AFM crap out as if you do drive the car without music on (i never drive without music) then you can always hear the drone on the highway when it kiks in
SoTHavok is offline   Reply With Quote