Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-20-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
teddyca

Drives: Blown C7 and 6th gen
Is a throttle controller worth it on a SC/Tuned A8?

So for weeks I been scouring the forum and corvetteforum looking for the right deal. I spoke to Mike at Solar (What amazing customer service) along with others and the majority feels a LT1/4 87/95mm ported tb is a waste for my build and that a LT5 tb is my best bet for today and tomorrow. My issue is the retune requirement. In my searches I have stumpled around tons of throttle controllers for sale and everyone seems to love them. I still don't know enough to understand if they are worth it for a tuned car. Here is where I am at. In the Camaro with my A8 at times it feels "lazy" and the throttle response isn't ideal for me or very responsive. I feel like it hunts to kick down gears. Now I know the ultimate package is a ported LT5 tb along with a tuned TCM and that will come in time but for the time being would a controller make any difference? At $100 used or roughly $180 new the cost is nothing and I can get my money back for the most part down the road. Am I just wasting time here or do I grab one, mess with it and have fun?

17 Camaro 2SS 50th edition. TOTALED 6/2019
K&N Intake, MRBP axleback, Eibach kit, 20" Z28 wheels, smoked lights all the way around, Rockford Fosgate system

17 Camaro 2SS 50th edition. Round 2- 8/2019 550/600 RWHP, Magnuson TVS2300, Rotofab Intake, Corsa Xtreme, Air Lift P3 System, 20" Stance SF-07, smoked lights all the way around, Rockford Fosgate system.
teddyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:08 AM   #2
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Anything the throttle controller does can be adjusted in the tune. The throttle controller is for those with stock tunes not wanting to void the warranty.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:14 AM   #3
Jbanta1983

Drives: 2019 2ss 1LE
They are garbage, all they do is shorten your pedal so when you are halfway down on the pedal the throttle body blade is wide open, so now the second half of your pedal is worthless.
Jbanta1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:57 AM   #4
teddyca

Drives: Blown C7 and 6th gen
King I knew you would chime in and help a brother out. Thank you for your response and Jbanta as well. I will save my money. Now to see if I can get my damn cell close enough to my PCM to see what ver. it is and just tune the trans. LOL
teddyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:50 PM   #5
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
This, I have the Soler TC and it plain works on a non tuned car. Pedal is more crisp and the first bit of pressure on the pedal makes it go.

I had a tuner for my Indian motorcycle and using the Caned tunes from DynoJet/ fuelmoto it took all the lag out of the grip throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Anything the throttle controller does can be adjusted in the tune. The throttle controller is for those with stock tunes not wanting to void the warranty.
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:50 PM   #6
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Drives: 2015 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyca View Post
So for weeks I been scouring the forum and corvetteforum looking for the right deal. I spoke to Mike at Solar (What amazing customer service) along with others and the majority feels a LT1/4 87/95mm ported tb is a waste for my build and that a LT5 tb is my best bet for today and tomorrow. My issue is the retune requirement. In my searches I have stumpled around tons of throttle controllers for sale and everyone seems to love them. I still don't know enough to understand if they are worth it for a tuned car. Here is where I am at. In the Camaro with my A8 at times it feels "lazy" and the throttle response isn't ideal for me or very responsive. I feel like it hunts to kick down gears. Now I know the ultimate package is a ported LT5 tb along with a tuned TCM and that will come in time but for the time being would a controller make any difference? At $100 used or roughly $180 new the cost is nothing and I can get my money back for the most part down the road. Am I just wasting time here or do I grab one, mess with it and have fun?
Teddyca, a pleasure helping you out. Not sure if I mentioned that all our products are fully and unconditionally refundable within 30 days from delivery, including return shipping. Get the controller, try it, and decide for yourself with absolutely nothing to lose.

This is a part that sharply divides folks into the "love it" or "hate it" categories, but b/c the "love it" ones are so many more, we take our chances. Yes, even tuned cars can still feel lazy, that's b/c the tuner didn't match your exact taste, and that is a big plus of the controller, you have 37 choices to match your taste on the fly, no retuning required.
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:50 PM   #7
Root

Drives: Silverado, Camaro
I would recommend against one with a tuned vehicle. I had the same issue as shown in this video (3:45 mark) when I first got a tune for e85. Ran fine before the tune but issue came up when tuned with hptuners.

Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:40 PM   #8
supersportss

Drives: 2019 SS
I never put mine in I'm glad I didn't 100 percent snake oil.
supersportss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:59 PM   #9
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersportss View Post
I never put mine in I'm glad I didn't 100 percent snake oil.
Like King said, they’re great for someone keeping the stock tune. We have a throttle controller in the wife’s Alfa Romeo since there’s no way we’re modding that car. The TC works mint. But in the Camaro...not needed.