Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

Phastek Performance

Old 04-03-2020, 04:56 PM   #337
FollowMyLine
Driver for Hire

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
I can tell you running OE Ferodo HP1001/1 pads, StopTech 600 brake fluid and the SS Track brake cooling stuff (deflectors and rotor shields), I have been able to do lap-after-lap on all the tracks I've been to, for every single session. The only time I began to feel an issue was at Gingerman in late July when my front pads got down to around 5mm thick. Once I swapped a set of new OE front pads for the next day I was fine. Even Mid-Ohio in mid-August braking from 140-60mph for T4 I had no issues. I'm a big proponent of giving the SS Track stuff a go...

Speaking to Ryephile at Grattan when he tried the ZL1 brakes he mentioned that they seemed WAY over-kill without even track-dedicated pads (I think he started off running the stock HP1001/1 pads). It seems the SS 1LE brake setup is just perfect for the application (i.e. driving the car at or near it's limits, there is little margin in extra capacity, but it 100% works).
I agree with this with exception to the stock pads. They ARE fantastic for most tracks, but take them to big boy tracks like Road America that demand high-speed braking 3x per lap and they fade FAST. I would imagine the same being said for tracks like COTA, Road Atlanta or Sebring where you encounter a few long straights with heavy braking zones.
YouTube Channel
FollowMyLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:58 AM   #338
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
I can tell you running OE Ferodo HP1001/1 pads, StopTech 600 brake fluid and the SS Track brake cooling stuff (deflectors and rotor shields), I have been able to do lap-after-lap on all the tracks I've been to, for every single session. The only time I began to feel an issue was at Gingerman in late July when my front pads got down to around 5mm thick. Once I swapped a set of new OE front pads for the next day I was fine. Even Mid-Ohio in mid-August braking from 140-60mph for T4 I had no issues. I'm a big proponent of giving the SS Track stuff a go...

Speaking to Ryephile at Grattan when he tried the ZL1 brakes he mentioned that they seemed WAY over-kill without even track-dedicated pads (I think he started off running the stock HP1001/1 pads). It seems the SS 1LE brake setup is just perfect for the application (i.e. driving the car at or near it's limits, there is little margin in extra capacity, but it 100% works).

I have never experienced an "overkill brake system" so far so I shouldn't lie I am a bit curious For the SS 1LE brakes and Aggressive tires, stock pads wouldn't really last too long and besides I am very used to high initial bite of the race pads and used to run ST43s, I think I like the ST47s on the Camaro a bit better. Good initial bite gives me confidence. I think track layout may have something to do with that too so OEM (with street tires or similar) may be just fine, pad life would never be as good as a race pad of course. So cost is another thing in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0DRN71 View Post
I agree with this with exception to the stock pads. They ARE fantastic for most tracks, but take them to big boy tracks like Road America that demand high-speed braking 3x per lap and they fade FAST. I would imagine the same being said for tracks like COTA, Road Atlanta or Sebring where you encounter a few long straights with heavy braking zones.
Ditto, I would add the tire compound (aggressiveness) in the mix too. OEM or equivalent pads wouldn't be enough to get the most out of that extra grip.
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:39 PM   #339
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0DRN71 View Post
I agree. The OE pads work fine on most tracks and are perfect for the average Joe/Jane on pretty much any track. They definitely have a limit. My point in my previous comment was more for telling towards the SS Track brake stuff.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:08 AM   #340
glamcem

Quote:
I agree. The OE pads work fine on most tracks and are perfect for the average Joe/Jane on pretty much any track. They definitely have a limit. My point in my previous comment was more for telling towards the SS Track brake stuff.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:11 PM   #341
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
How's it going? Did you have any issues with removing your passenger seat during or after?
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:58 AM   #342
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
How's it going? Did you have any issues with removing your passenger seat during or after?
It's pretty easy actually. It takes about 5-10 minutes to remove passenger and rear seats.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:39 PM   #343
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I read something about unplugging the battery first, did you do that?
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:20 PM   #344
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
I read something about unplugging the battery first, did you do that?
Yes, I always do that before remove/install the seat
Old 05-13-2020, 01:24 PM   #345
glamcem

I had a chance to attend a private event this past Saturday at the ORP with a special permission we were able to rent the track (limited to 6 attendees, extra measures taken due to virus etc).

It was rather a hot day and I missed the opportunity to run it at the best time which is early in the morning (once again!). I noticed that I forgot my Hans device at home so without the paddings harnesses hurt so bad so I had to go back to paddock and figure out what to do.

Luckily I had some extra trailer tie down paddings to be used for wheels and I cut it in half and wrap around the harnesses to give some extra cushion. It was a ghetto solution but it worked so I am not complaining

Also, titanium shims and/or brake deflectors definitely work. Even after many sessions on a hot day with aggressive tires, I couldn't see any discoloration on the calipers like may previous car. Temp sticker shows the temps dropped more than 100F degrees. Brake fade was almost non existent so I am very happy with how it turned out.

Now let's talk about the RR vs SC3R tire comparison. Since it was a hot day (worse than the last time) and I missed the opportunity of driving in early sessions, I can say there's some room for improvement. Bumping up the tire size on the RR set (from 295/30/18 on 18x10" wheels to 315/30/18" on 18x10.5") really helped to defeat the corner entry understeer and turn in.

Since last time, I tried the SC3R tires in the afternoon session, I wanted to try them first to see if I could best my previous PB. However, by the time I fixed the quirks and started running the car it was around 10:30 and the ambient temps were about 70s. (I typically see my PBs at this track when it's around 50s in the early morning)

I couldn't see an improvement since the before noon conditions this time were similar the afternoon conditions last time One thing is clear though, SC3R tires were more consistent than RR tires regardless of the condition while it lasted I ended up cording the LF tire (driver front) after about 5 sessions on them on the outer edge. Since the track configuration is CW and ORP with extended sessions, elevation changes, off camber turns and extra heat is a torture test on the tires, I didn't expect them to last too long but still.. I am very surprised. The other three tires looked just fine both inner and outer wear seemed normal. I will start rotating them after 2-3 sessions side by side for equal wear from now on.

Front driver side

Front passenger side

I also noticed that Apex now has 19x12" wheels for Camaro in stock so I ordered a couple wheels from them. I also ordered 325/30/19 SC3R tires so that I will have my guy move the rear tires (305s) to front and have a staggered setup once again. I feel like I am losing some time at corner exit and couldn't be on the gas as quick as I wanted to. Added rear grip should take care of that. Also bumping up the size will extend the life of the tires too.

My best time with the SC3Rs was 1:52.9 almost identical to the last time (1:52.8) I believe I still can shave another second and take it to 1:51s on a better day and/or with more grip in the rear. I'll see about that.

Best time with the RRs (315 SQ) was 1:55.7 but on much warmer conditions. So SC3Rs was about 2.8 seconds faster than the RRs but when track temps were much better (69-70 F). Since it's typical to see 1.5-2 seconds difference between morning and afternoon sessions, when it's taken to an account I'd say the actual difference between the RR and SC3R tires should be about ~1 second.

For instance, right before the lunch break when the track temps reached 75, my best lap with the SC3Rs was 1:53.9 (or only 1.8 seconds faster than the RRs) so that alone should give an idea about the effect of only 5 degree change.

One important thing to mention, heat affects the RRs more than the SC3Rs so on equal conditions and colder day. Also, even though the RRs are 315s, when they put on 11" wide wheels, 305 SC3Rs were still wider .. they run wider for sure. My starting/cold pressures were 27 PSI all around on both sets and they were stable at around 32-33psi as hot pressures.

When it comes to cold/hot pressures for Toyo RR there are two schools of thought:
On a colder/warm day , for the best lap time it's better to start at around 27 PSI and keep it around 32-33 PSI when they're hot. However, Toyo recommends 33-34 PSI starting pressures and 36-42 psi operating temps. Anything between 34-36 PSI hot pressure is the weak zone. My friend mentioned that he had good results when he increased the pressures on hot day, his lap times were slightly behind than running them first method but they were more stable. I have never tried those higher pressures on the RRs but since the track temps passed 80F degrees I noticed that I couldn't even do below 1:56. Then I returned to paddock and added 5 psi all around to keep it above 36 psi and boom I immediately dropped another second and did 1:55.7

When all things considered, and within the ideal conditions I am almost sure RRs would be about 1 second slower than the SC3Rs IMO but they are not like heat resistant like R7s or SC3Rs but they are still much better than tires like NT01, RE71Rs or R888Rs for consistency especially when followed the Toyo's recommendation. They are also cost effective tires with very communicative manners.

Video from the event:
Old 05-24-2020, 06:35 PM   #346
glamcem

I had my new rear tires (325/30/19 SC3Rs) mounted and balanced on the new Apex wheels ( 19x12" ARC8) to see if I could benefit from having more grip in the rear.

Poke is not bad at all even less noticeable in person.

I also ordered some 305/30/19 SC3Rs as a spare for the fronts.

I was at the ORP yesterday. A photo of a friend's beautiful Dodge Charger ScatPack (widebody)

I am not sure if I am seeing the benefits of using wider wheels/tires at this track. It was also the case with the previous 1LE, my PBs were on a square setup (305/30/19). Gearing seems better with shorter tires at the ORP. At the Ridge, I think I can see more benefit of using this wider setup. I would like to compare 305/30/19" SQ vs staggered (305/325) at the Ridge so I decided to keep the 19x11" rears and alternate between that and 19x12".

On a faster track with long sweepers added grip in the rear should help keeping the momentum and getting on full throttle quicker at corner exit (at least it was the case with 305/325 NT01s on the previous car).

I have an event scheduled this Tuesday at the Ridge so I will see how it feels there with the same setup.

I also noticed that the front passenger tire wear on the outer edge more noticeable than the other side (since CCW configuration puts more stress on the other/right side) and so I rotated front wheels/tires and it appears to be helping a bit. Hopefully I won't cord another tire after 5 sessions again

Last edited by glamcem; 05-24-2020 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:12 AM   #347
glamcem

New PB at the Ridge yesterday

I had a chance to attend to the "Late Apex" event at the Ridge (RMP) yesterday and seen two other Gen 6 Camaros (ZL1 1LE and SS 1LE) .. it was nice seeing other Camaros and talk with the owners

some photos from the event:

Ridge is a CCW configuration so I was expecting to see the outer edge on the front passenger side would give up first since most of the stress is on that side and I corded the outer edge of the driver side when I was running CW at the ORP (after 5 long sessions). However, it started chunking tires from the driver side again so maybe my toe is a little bit off .. some people say, it typically changes after the very first track event. However, I couldn't see any changes on the rear since bolts were marked ..

I will ask my guy (Doug from Chase Race) to check the alignment again to make sure..
This is about 14 HC though not 5 like the last time so I am not complaining

and clean again since I wasn't towing I stopped by at the self service car wash

I was able to improve my PB by about 1.2 seconds at the Ridge yesterday. (1:53.0 with the previous car with 305/325 but in the morning sessions and 1:51.8 with SC3Rs 305/325 afternoon/ewarmer sessions.. track temps are responsible for 1-2 seconds typically)
I was trying the 305/325/30/10 setup (with ZLE fitment wheels yesterday) .. I figured that adding wider/wheels tires would be more beneficial at the Ridge than the ORP. It was in fact the case with the previous car, 305/325 NT01s were faster than SQ 305s at the Ridge ..since rear grip is very useful at many, longer faster sweepers, at the ORP it was the complete opposite and SQ setup was faster ..most likely due to gearing advantage and elevation changes, and more tighter turns.

With the staggered setup car feels like it has a little bit of understeer but it wasn't as bad as the previous car. I think having stiffer sway bars help getting rid of the body roll and the understeer/push caused by it ..I slightly adjusted my driving style and applied the threshold/trail brake more into the apex to be able to rotate the car easily (especially at the tight turns) and got on the throttle much quicker once I feel the car is rotated ..that felt like helped shaving some tenths here and there. My lap times were pretty consistent throughout the day (low 1:52s) then once I made a slight change at the last couple of sessions I was able to see 1:51s.. I felt very close to take it into the 1:50s at some point but couldn't because of the traffic (or giving a point by to a race car) ..

I am planning to compare the 305 SQ (SC3Rs) and 305/325 SC3Rs at both Ridge and ORP and see if my theory is correct.
Video of a couple hot laps from the event
Old 06-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #348
glamcem

New PB!

Rotating the front tires helped getting more life out of the SC3R tires and I noticed I corded both inside and outside this time ..it's after about 15 sessions though so I am not complaining.

driver side

and Passenger side

The fact that it corded first on the driver side again (both inner and outer edges), even the Ridge has CCW configuration made me think that my alignment might be off a little bit.

I had my guy install the new set of tires for front wheels but he was busy so I couldn't have him check the alignment. I attended another event yesterday at the Ridge and improved my PB by 1.2 seconds. I feel that on a better day and/or with less traffic I should be able to take it below the 1:50 mark. My friend with a Z06 and R7s was doing 1:47.9 yesterday for the reference .

and the video from the event:

Old 06-08-2020, 02:30 AM   #349
glamcem

Ordered a new set of Raybestos ST47 front pads (rears still have plenty of life on them) and will soon order Girodisc rotors. Rotors just started showing some hairline cracks but they're barely visible and it looks like I can still get about 3-4 events from both the pads and rotors so I will change them together.

I have attended a total of 5 events 3 at the ORP ( can easily say it's equivalent to a 1.5-2 events compared to a session format at the Ridge) and 2 at the RMP so far (5 sessions on each about 15 minutes sessions) and brake fluid still seems fine. With the previous 1LE, I forgot bleeding my brake fluid after the 2nd event and on the 3rd one I boiled the fluid.. it looks like titanium shims, Castrol SRF and/or brake deflectors are doing a great job keeping the brake temps in check.

On a side note, mystery solved for premature tire wear. It was the front toe
I would expect to see the alignment go off a little bit but holy cow the front toe was way off.. I was checking the marked bolts in the rear and camber (front and rear) didn't change much . I hope it won't go off this bad again

Before

and after

another paired installed on the 19x11" rear wheels so I will compare 19x11" SQ (305/30/19) to 19x11 and 19x12 staggered setup (305/325) , Basically I have a 1.5 set of 19" wheels I have a feeling this setup will be slightly faster at the ORP

Old 06-19-2020, 11:42 AM   #350
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Brilliant. The ARC8 wheels look the business on your car and totally completes the look.

I am a huge ARC8 fan myself as my ZLE has it.