Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-18-2020, 10:27 AM   #1
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Edelbrock EForce SC Check Engine Light

I installed my eForce finished last week. It seemed strong in the garage, but when I got it out for it's first easy test drives, it stutters a lot at 4,000 rpm. I was very disappointed and when I stopped for gas and restarted the engine I found a code. It read codes 0171 and 0174 left and right banks lean. I got hold of Edelbrock tech and they said to check everything over to see if it's installed correctly (which it is as far as I know) and that all the hoses and connections are tight. They also said to uninstall the tune and reinstall it to make sure the Edelbrock Calibration was programmed. It was.

On the next day, the code was gone and I started and stopped the engine several times and the code did not reappear. Then with a little more spirited drive, the code returned.

I called Edelbrock twice and had them call me back. The first guy that called back knew nothing about superchargers. And I never got a call back on the second. The next day I called Edelbrock again and their voicemail says they won't reopen until Monday the 18th. Since the engine is running lean, I'm taking no chances and the car sits in the garage.

Anyone ever had that code after a SC install?

I'm waiting as I sit here on a returned call from Edelbrock Tech Support.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Several people have had issues like this with Canned tunes. Hence why most here don't recommend them. It doesn't matter the system you choose, Canned tunes are blanket tunes...might work for some but not others. I believe I just posted this the other day in another thread with a canned tune PC setup. Just be glad you didn't buy that Whipple...
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:25 PM   #3
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Several people have had issues like this with Canned tunes. Hence why most here don't recommend them. It doesn't matter the system you choose, Canned tunes are blanket tunes...might work for some but not others. I believe I just posted this the other day in another thread with a canned tune PC setup. Just be glad you didn't buy that Whipple...
Yeah, I read that Whipple post and thought I saw your post on canned tunes.

I did a lot of research and found some who complained about the tunes in their kits being bad. I didn't see much negativity with the Edelbrock kits. What really sold me was the guy who had the All Girl Garage install his. I love that show. I wonder how much Edelbrock helped them through the process and how much they cut out to make it look like a piece of cake. It's really not that bad.

I have faith that Edelbrock will come through with a simple solution to my problem. Had it been something amiss in the install, I don't think the car would have run. Except for failing to plug in some of the connectors not much in the install procedure would prevent the car from running.

I have been looking at the possibility of data logging and looking at the Air/Fuel mixture ratio, but don't know what to look for. I did data logging for a tune with Janetty several times and the process isn't difficult...it's the analysis of the data that needs an expert.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:18 AM   #4
Davescamaro

Drives: Chevy camaro
Could it be something like a small vacuum leak? That's what those codes are for. P0171-B1S1 too lean and the other is bank 2. Is your idle rpm seem a bit higher than before the supercharger install?
Knockoff zl1 sideskirts, gm front chin spoiler, 1le blade spoiler, diode sides, 20" staggered Asanti black labels, azenis 510 245/40/20 fronts, goodrich comp sport 2s 275/35/20 rears, fifty brembos front, 13.6" slotted and drilled powerstop rotors
Davescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:24 AM   #5
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davescamaro View Post
Could it be something like a small vacuum leak? That's what those codes are for. P0171-B1S1 too lean and the other is bank 2. Is your idle rpm seem a bit higher than before the supercharger install?
I did a lot of research on the issue and it seems very reasonable to believe the engine is receiving unwanted air from somewhere and the likelihood of a leak is high. Some have said they used a smoke test to find leaks...I've never done that, but it can't be that hard. One person posted that they found the lid to the SC loose allowing extra air.

The idle is approximately what it was before. But, when warmed up and in gear like at a stop light it doesn't seem to idle as smoothly as before.

It's been 10 days now and I still haven't had contact from Edelbrock on the issue...at least not from the supercharger tech. I am patient and expect they are pretty much swamped, but....

Old 05-20-2020, 10:17 AM   #6
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
10 days...I think you need to re-engage. Admittedly, you issue may be hard to correct from 1000 miles away. I'd nut and bolt everything, check all clamps, reseat connectors, pull the battery to reset the ECU.

Did you install regapped spark plugs (unsure if Edelbrock requires)?
Old 05-20-2020, 02:21 PM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Does that blower have separate runners? I might try to make sure, if you haven't already, that the seals for all the ports are squared away. It's weird it one bank...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:18 AM   #8
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Does that blower have separate runners? I might try to make sure, if you haven't already, that the seals for all the ports are squared away. It's weird it one bank...
I spoke with another Edelbrock tech person yesterday afternoon and he was not a supercharger expert. The guy who is sits close by and he spoke with him who said he had been receiving my "cries for help" and that he would get back to me after his current call. Of course, I never heard a peep. So....I sent another email to him this morning...they're 2 hours behind us in time and I won't be able to speak with them until 10 am our time.

I'm not sure what you mean by separate runners, but it has a port for each cylinder of course. It has the small neoprene seals for each intake port and they were in place during the install for sure. I have checked every nut and bolt we touched during the install. I may go back and check the supercharger to head bolts and double check the cover to make sure they're tight. I don't know how I could confirm no leaks at the factory type snap on connectors, but I'm going to look at that today.

Thanks for your suggestions...

Old 05-22-2020, 12:01 PM   #9
alodg13

Drives: 2017 Garnet Red 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
I spoke with another Edelbrock tech person yesterday afternoon and he was not a supercharger expert. The guy who is sits close by and he spoke with him who said he had been receiving my "cries for help" and that he would get back to me after his current call. Of course, I never heard a peep. So....I sent another email to him this morning...they're 2 hours behind us in time and I won't be able to speak with them until 10 am our time.

I'm not sure what you mean by separate runners, but it has a port for each cylinder of course. It has the small neoprene seals for each intake port and they were in place during the install for sure. I have checked every nut and bolt we touched during the install. I may go back and check the supercharger to head bolts and double check the cover to make sure they're tight. I don't know how I could confirm no leaks at the factory type snap on connectors, but I'm going to look at that today.

Thanks for your suggestions...
I had issues with my Edelbrock tune when I first got it. I just emailed the address that was in their instructions explaining what was happening. (was running extremely rich in my case. No codes, but the car felt like it was pulling a lot of timing). A few email exchanges later, they sent me a revised tune that worked.

I still don't trust their tune though, which is why I'm getting Ted to tune it for me after I upgrade the fuel system and a couple other things.

Just a thought. Have you checked the plastic nipples vacuum lines hook too? It might look like they're on, but they are brittle and very easy to crack. (ask me how I know )
alodg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:33 PM   #10
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Quote:

We've already agreed to data log next week. I feel certain we can find the source of the problem doing that. I am really getting frustrated with the issues I'm having. I'm sure it's something the installer and I have done since the tech said he's monitored the install on at least a thousand cars and hadn't seen some of my issues before...we will see.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:44 PM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
We've already agreed to data log next week. I feel certain we can find the source of the problem doing that. I am really getting frustrated with the issues I'm having. I'm sure it's something the installer and I have done since the tech said he's monitored the install on at least a thousand cars and hadn't seen some of my issues before...we will see.
I misread your first post - my bad... I'm not sure how helpful more comments are, but it probably couldn't hurt...

I know you said you checked everything, but perhaps you're getting a vacuum leak or something in the intake system. Are you certain you didn't roll a coupler or the throttle body seal was installed correctly? Do you have a wideband? You said you were getting help previously from Ted, I believe, so maybe so. Can you confirm a lean condition with the wideband? Do you have HPTuners, and if so, can you read the Edelbrock file with HPTuners (after reading it into an hpt. file), and compare the stock tune and Edelbrock tune? At least your MAF should be different. I'm learning that many more common combinations don't really require more than a spot-on MAF tune, and just leave VVE alone, unless you've got a special combination, or that it's radical. Anyways - if you have the capability to compare the stock tune to Edelbrock's, maybe you can identify something there that could be a problem.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:49 PM   #12
Xbrentx

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss convertible A8
you have the gmpp cai on or stock box
Xbrentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:22 PM   #13
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbrentx View Post
you have the gmpp cai on or stock box
I installed a stock box since Edelbrock expects the vehicle to be stock.

Quote:
I misread your first post - my bad... I'm not sure how helpful more comments are, but it probably couldn't hurt...

I know you said you checked everything, but perhaps you're getting a vacuum leak or something in the intake system. Are you certain you didn't roll a coupler or the throttle body seal was installed correctly? Do you have a wideband? You said you were getting help previously from Ted, I believe, so maybe so. Can you confirm a lean condition with the wideband? Do you have HPTuners, and if so, can you read the Edelbrock file with HPTuners (after reading it into an hpt. file), and compare the stock tune and Edelbrock tune? At least your MAF should be different. I'm learning that many more common combinations don't really require more than a spot-on MAF tune, and just leave VVE alone, unless you've got a special combination, or that it's radical. Anyways - if you have the capability to compare the stock tune to Edelbrock's, maybe you can identify something there that could be a problem.
We found the vacuum leak it was quite well hidden. A problem with one of the quick disconnects that refused to seat properly. We replaced it and everything works perfectly.

So, it's installed, running perfectly and it's very fast! A few pics:
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2020, 03:30 AM   #14
Xbrentx

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss convertible A8
sc

nice work guess the strut brace wont fit back on?
Xbrentx is offline   Reply With Quote