#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 05-10-2020, 11:18 AM   #29
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Not so much, given the laptime delta was in the hundredth of a second (albeit on a short track) and Cup2s cost is astronomical, compared to other choices.

In stock size, there isn't a better tire than G3, which costs hundreds less and doesn't give up much, if any pace over a Cup2 (from my first hand experience). RE71R is another good choice for just a bit more in 295/20 square
4S is a good choice with less ultimate track pace, but better longevity (for more $). That's about it.

The best track choice (in street legal category) for absolute pace is a G3R, which requires an investment in 19 rims. But as they say: speed costs
IIRC RE-71R is more of an Autocross tire. I have read that on tracks, they overheat pretty quickly and their grip will significantly decrease after that. Autocross laps are short and you have plenty of time to cool down in between.

I have rode with people at Autocross before and the grip for RE-71R is mind-blowing. They are pretty much Autocrossers' go-to tires, but most of them don't daily those tires because they don't last.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:43 AM   #30
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
IIRC RE-71R is more of an Autocross tire. I have read that on tracks, they overheat pretty quickly and their grip will significantly decrease after that. Autocross laps are short and you have plenty of time to cool down in between.

I have rode with people at Autocross before and the grip for RE-71R is mind-blowing. They are pretty much Autocrossers' go-to tires, but most of them don't daily those tires because they don't last.
Yes the are favoured by autox folks as they come up to temp very quickly. This does not mean they are not great track tires. Or that they last shorter for DD as any other track specific dual purpose tire (RS4 excepted).
Dont know about you, but i have actually used them on my car and have another set waiting. And i am not alone having used RE71R as a track tire on this forum.

Having said that, i do favour G3s as they are a great tire and at a great price. BOTH LAST THE SAME. Trust me.

BUT, if i only DD my car, or just did an occasional track day vs 20 per season, i would likely roll on 4S.

Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:15 PM   #31
EWard

Drives: 2019 Camaro RBM M6 LTG 1LS
Quote:
Yep. About the same longevity as G3s: 6 or 7 days based on my experience (not corded yet, but insufficient tread for safe DD in the wet).
This is an interesting view point and true by your experience. But for us over-driving types that haven't learned to respect the tires/car and take what they give us. I feel like we would put to much heat in the RE71's tires and thus wear them out faster

Driver Mod is everything to making your tires last. Being a guilty partner in over-driving the tires/car. I have witnessed drivers beat me at autocross and have much less tire wear over the season.

Just posting as food for thought for over aggressive drivers, that haven't learned the total mental game, that the great driver understands.
EWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:31 PM   #32
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
If you have 19s and are worried about overheating RE71Rs, look at the Rival S 1.5. They take more heat than the REs do. I got a set of 305/30/19s when they first came out last year. Ran two drivers every autocross event thru the summer and never had to cool the tires. for wear, they do pretty well. I have 7 weekends on the tires (4 runs x 2 drivers for Sundays and 12-18 runs on Saturdays) with about 150 runs plus some street driving. They are now beyond their best grip but still have 2.5/32" of tread left.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:35 PM   #33
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWard View Post
This is an interesting view point and true by your experience. But for us over-driving types that haven't learned to respect the tires/car and take what they give us. I feel like we would put to much heat in the RE71's tires and thus wear them out faster

Driver Mod is everything to making your tires last. Being a guilty partner in over-driving the tires/car. I have witnessed drivers beat me at autocross and have much less tire wear over the season.

Just posting as food for thought for over aggressive drivers, that haven't learned the total mental game, that the great driver understands.
Well said indeed! Can't argue that an experienced driver who really feels the traction limits and knows how to correct for under and/or oversteer before slip angles get overly exaggerated, will be easier on tires vs somebody who willfully over drives a car.

BUT, they will likely also be much, much faster, meaning the tires will work much, much harder under heavier G loads and hence wear faster. Versus say a driver that pushes the limits to 80-90%. By and large, that's the case, except for over aggressive novices in **slow** corners, who may have a propensity to overdrive entries and generate gobs of understeer (which makes them feel like they are going fast, while killing rubber).

BUT, again, i would argue that once the tires overheat and lose grip, most folks have no choice but to slow right down, or else experience a big "oh shit" moment. And sometimes it takes the latter for them to slow down.

So, the difference between say RE71R which comes up to temp in a lap vs a G3 which may take 2 or 3, is that an average driver will have to slow down sooner vs later, as if over driven they will become greasy FASTER.
And slow down they will have unless they know how to manage under/over steer and tires in general and/or are highly proficient in drifting a car at high speeds (which quite obviously no inexperienced driver is even remotely capable of).

What ive noticed by and large, is that beginners are much easier on tires vs experienced folks, only because they are nowhere the limits of the tires (on a race track). And also, because they lack skill to effectively counter big under/oversteer moments without losing pace, so they just slow down. And that leads to less vs more tire wear.

Anyway, i am splitting hairs, so my apologies. My main point was that tire wear will not be as much related to how QUICKLY a tire comes up to temp, but rather how soft the compound is. Unless somebody is highly proficient to continue to push a car on greasy tires. And that would take an expert driver indeed.

Cheers!
Old 05-11-2020, 04:09 AM   #34
SOFO

Drives: Camaro Fifty
Quote:
Not so much, given the laptime delta was in the hundredth of a second (albeit on a short track) and Cup2s cost is astronomical, compared to other choices.

In stock size, there isn't a better tire than G3, which costs hundreds less and doesn't give up much, if any pace over a Cup2 (from my first hand experience). RE71R is another good choice for just a bit more in 295/20 square
4S is a good choice with less ultimate track pace, but better longevity (for more $). That's about it.

The best track choice (in street legal category) for absolute pace is a G3R, which requires an investment in 19 rims. But as they say: speed costs
What I wanted to say is:
I mean, if you want to squeeze out the best time on the track with Michelin tires, you have to go with the Cup tires.
For a daily, it's better to go with the 4S as the difference on track is not that big.
This is valid for the Michelins.
SOFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:28 AM   #35
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOFO View Post
What I wanted to say is:
I mean, if you want to squeeze out the best time on the track with Michelin tires, you have to go with the Cup tires.
For a daily, it's better to go with the 4S as the difference on track is not that big.
This is valid for the Michelins.
Agree! It all depends on what the priority is
Cheers!
Old 05-12-2020, 10:46 PM   #36
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Agree! It all depends on what the priority is
Cheers!
Couldn’t have said it better myself 😉
Old 05-13-2020, 12:14 AM   #37
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Couldn’t have said it better myself 😉