Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 01-28-2020, 06:24 PM   #1
OzzieSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
A quick DIY project that made changing my LT1's oil easier

I use to have an F150 with an Ecoboost engine that held 6qts of oil. I remember the first time I changed the oil which was a complete disaster resulting in used oil all over my garage floor. This happened because I tried to use a normal oil drain pan which was pretty useless because of how fast the oil shot out of my Ecoboost's oil pan. On top of that, the oil came out so quickly that the stream of oil completely bounced off the drain pan on to my garage floor. Never again...... I began using a 5 gallon bucket that I'd turn sideways to catch the "gusher" of oil shooting out from the Ecoboost oil pan, the oil stream would shoot directly in to the 5 gallon bucket. It was a good and effective idea. Too bad I can't get a 5 gallon bucket under my '16 SS.......

So here's my nifty little idea. I bought a regular storage container that is something like 30qts in capacity. I then drilled a hole and inserted a bulkhead valve which would make draining the container much easier and a lot less messier. The storage container is both wide and long enough to make sure the oil "gusher" is caught in the container and not on my garage floor. It's also long enough to where I can let the oil pan drain while loosening the oil filter and let it drain as well before I remove it.

The idea worked really well. This gizmo took me about ten minutes to make and it will be a very useful tool when I do future oil changes again.
Attached Images

OzzieSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:27 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Looks good, I think a drain valve is a bit less complicated:

https://www.stahlbus.com/info/en/pro...l-drain-valves
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:31 PM   #3
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieSS View Post
I use to have an F150 with an Ecoboost engine that held 6qts of oil. I remember the first time I changed the oil which was a complete disaster resulting in used oil all over my garage floor. This happened because I tried to use a normal oil drain pan which was pretty useless because of how fast the oil shot out of my Ecoboost's oil pan. On top of that, the oil came out so quickly that the stream of oil completely bounced off the drain pan on to my garage floor. Never again...... I began using a 5 gallon bucket that I'd turn sideways to catch the "gusher" of oil shooting out from the Ecoboost oil pan, the oil stream would shoot directly in to the 5 gallon bucket. It was a good and effective idea. Too bad I can't get a 5 gallon bucket under my '16 SS.......

So here's my nifty little idea. I bought a regular storage container that is something like 30qts in capacity. I then drilled a hole and inserted a bulkhead valve which would make draining the container much easier and a lot less messier. The storage container is both wide and long enough to make sure the oil "gusher" is caught in the container and not on my garage floor. It's also long enough to where I can let the oil pan drain while loosening the oil filter and let it drain as well before I remove it.

The idea worked really well. This gizmo took me about ten minutes to make and it will be a very useful tool when I do future oil changes again.
A 5 gallon bucket fits with the longer, taller race ramps....of course, there’s a decent cost them. Your solution is cheaper for sure.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:34 PM   #4
OzzieSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Looks good, I think a drain valve is a bit less complicated:

https://www.stahlbus.com/info/en/pro...l-drain-valves
I'll pass.... That valve looks like something could eventually wear out or something to that affect. Simple drain plugs have been tried and trued for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
A 5 gallon bucket fits with the longer, taller race ramps....of course, there’s a decent cost them. Your solution is cheaper for sure.
True but this gadget is also long enough to allow the oil to drain from both the plug and the oil filter at the same time. A five gallon bucket isn't wide enough.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:51 PM   #5
Choda

Drives: Turbo 6.2
Or a 15mm wrench and the ol trusty oil catch pan.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:56 PM   #6
OzzieSS

I will never use a catch pan again. The oil shoots out of these oil pans so fast and hard that the oil bounces off the oil catch pans directly on my garage floor. I do all my preventative maintenance with surgically precision methods. I can't stand making a mess and I will avoid them at all costs.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:28 PM   #7
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Those bins are super fragile.. hate to see you create your own valdez.

rubbery type materials ones are more durable. I like 5 gallon bucket idea.

I picked up 15qt sump thing, replaced the drain cap w one from apple juice or washer fluid bottle ~30mm - the stock cap is really poorly made and leaks - find nicer one in your recycle bin.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:10 PM   #8
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
cool idea

Thanks for posting
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:52 AM   #9
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieSS View Post
I'll pass.... That valve looks like something could eventually wear out or something to that affect. Simple drain plugs have been tried and trued for years.
I have a good friend who has been a mechanic at our local road commission for the last 15 years. He showed me a Stahbus valve shortly after he started working there one night when I stopped after work (he worked evenings in the beginning)

They put one on every vehicle they bring into the fleet. I myself have the same valve on at least 5 different cars since 2006 (the one on my Camaro now is the one I bought for my 2006 Silverado back then) and it has at least a 300k miles on it with a lot of oil changes. Everything down to the hose that came with it is still as good as new.

If your goal is to have the lowest probability of creating a mess, then this is your solution.

I have the same oil recycling jug that you have in your picture (the black one) - on the top side where the oil goes in, there are two holes. I slide the pan under the car, thread one end of the hose into those small holes, unscrew the cap on the Stahlbus, pop the adapter on the valve and dont get as much as a drop on anything other than the inside of the jug.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:34 PM   #10
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
I have that same black large capacity oil drain pan. Pouring that beast into a empty gallon jugs with a funnel requires some sort of special talent. I pay my dealer $15 and get a receipt proving I had it done and I don't see a thing on my garage floor anymore.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:32 AM   #11
Z28GTOSSMike

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS
I used this and it worked fine. I thought the oil would splash right out but it didn't. No mess at all

https://m.autozone.com/shop-and-gara...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Z28GTOSSMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:30 PM   #12
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
^ That's what I have. I just got tired of trying to pour it into jugs to go dispose of it without making a mess. Then one of my sons put the wrong size cap on a jug of it and I knocked it over spilling around 1/2 quart on the floor. Fun stuff, doesn't completely come up either. I guess I could just take the whole drain pan to the store and they can pour it out. Some of them have limits though, which is weird.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote