Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 03-11-2020, 06:18 AM   #1
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Cadillac Blackwing to live on...kind of.

The story of this vehicle (CT6 and its variants) and this engine is a tragedy of monumental proportions. The CT6 lasted a mere 5 MY's and the Blackwing engine was utilized for 2 MY's. All of this wasted money on design, engineering, development, etc.. It just makes you shake your head in disgust. This engine was hyped so much, only to be thrown into the GM scrapheap. I don't get it.

"At Cadillac, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.".

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/03...otors-product/

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:21 AM   #2
LU8

Drives: 1977 Camaro Z/28
This isn't the first time this has happened at GM. You look at what they do with model and engine changes, and you wonder if there was any real thought put into it. Just bad planning, and not enough ground work is what it is. Then trying to mask over it with marketing.

In the past it was models coming good after a few years, and then getting canned when they were just starting to show promise.
LU8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:41 AM   #3
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I'm very sure that the engine will re-surface. GM is all out of sorts right now; I wish they would figure themselves out before they are forced out of business. On the one hand, I am glad that the LT4 is still around, but then again the twin turbo v8 had a lot of possibilities.....they will need to figure out how to manufacture it cheaper and more in line with a regular production scenario.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:49 PM   #4
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by LU8 View Post
This isn't the first time this has happened at GM. You look at what they do with model and engine changes, and you wonder if there was any real thought put into it. Just bad planning, and not enough ground work is what it is. Then trying to mask over it with marketing.

In the past it was models coming good after a few years, and then getting canned when they were just starting to show promise.
I actually feel some sorta way reading this. I was literally the Director of Powertrain Product Planning at GM 2001 - 2005 and therefore hands on in the planning of which engines go into which vehicles when. Planning worked hand in hand with Product Engineering to plan the engine and transmission combinations for each vehicle. One of the reasons I have first hand knowledge of why there was no Camaro 2003 - 2009.

Deciding which products go in which vehicles and when is a high stakes balancing act of understanding what customers want, what competitors are doing, how each entry is going to affect regulatory compliance (fuel economy, emissions, crash testing, etc) and financial factors (tooling investment, capital equipment required, profit potential, etc). A lot of cool stuff happened during my time in that chair. And a lot of cool stuff was considered that didn’t happen. All in all, one of my favorite assignments during my years at GM.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:22 PM   #5
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Always enjoy your posts Martinjlm, what is your take on Blackwing? Why is it missing? They surely didn't recoup development costs.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:06 PM   #6
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Always enjoy your posts Martinjlm, what is your take on Blackwing? Why is it missing? They surely didn't recoup development costs.
The cool thing about Planning is plans change. The frustrating thing about Planning is plans change. It takes longer to develop an engine from a clean sheet of paper than it takes to develop a vehicle from a clean sheet of paper. Blackwing launched after Omega. The design for Blackwing could have started before or at the same time as Omega. I do not know for sure, but I suspect it to be the case. Blackwing was designed to optimize Omega, and with an assumption of a certain product rollout of nameplates on Omega. The plans for Omega changed. Dramatically. Forcing the engine into other platforms would be flushing good money after bad.

Choosing my words V-E-R-Y carefully now. Here is a potential scenario...

Blackwing packages in the Omega platform.
Blackwing does not package in Alpha, Alpha2 or T1XX platforms
Omega platform appears to have been vacated
Omega, Alpha, and Alpha2 are expected to all converge to a new common architecture (VSS-R)
Blackwing could resurface when VSS-R rolls in.
There is a chance that VSS-R doesn’t happen. In that case, Blackwing will make wonderful cocktail discussion 10 years from now. “Remember that Cadillac engine....”
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:07 AM   #7
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Let's hope it's not the last we see of Blackwing even if we have to wait for VSS-R. I hear the engine is brilliant.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote