Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-17-2019, 07:01 AM   #15
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy347k9 View Post
During my LEO career I covered a fair number of fatal accidents with the majority of the crashes equal in number when it came to cause... alcohol and or excessive speed. Many times the driver of the offending vehicle would live but claim the life of and innocent person or persons. The most difficult part of my job was going to someone's home and giving them that terrible news, their son or daughter was deceased. You can not even imagine how their lives were instantly destroyed. I knew exactly how they felt for a fellow officer had to inform me one cold Friday evening that my daughter and her two cousins were deceased. A young college student was driving beyond conditions and T-boned their car. The girls were 15, 16 and 17. They were on their way home from shopping and having an ice cream at Deering Ice Cream when the crash occurred at 2026 hours.

Please don't get me wrong or misunderstand what I am saying. Like many of you I enjoy a fast car. Matter of fact one of my collateral jobs was assisting with EVOC training. Emergency Vehicle Operation Course for the LEO. I was involved in a good number of high speed pursuits and some that I had to discontinue because pedestrians, heavy traffic or the offending driver was going to die before he stopped.

There is a place for displaying all that power and we all love the feeling of that power but we have to stand back and think... "what if it was my child"? When they are standing in a court of law charged with vehicular manslaughter and being sentenced to State Prison for a number of years they wish they could relive that moment.... it's to late then.

Don't destroy your families life by getting into a car with that individual.
bump...READ THIS PEOPLE ^^^^^^^^^^
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:06 AM   #16
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.1LE View Post
I agree 100% cool guy but yes drives like a jackass like out to prove something. I also drive slow. I like some of you here like that short burst of power when no one around or taking some fast turns again when no one around..Glad I am not the only one who feels this way. Before writing this post I told him how I felt because he is always wanting me to go with him to car events. He was cool about it and said he wouldn't do it again with me in the car. But of course he was trying to justify his actions...
Yep! All it takes is watching videos like this to remind me I like driving low and slow! I'de hate to ruin the ride I've worked so hard in making mine.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #17
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Save your hard, fast driving for the track. Showing off and speeding can hurt lives.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #18
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

Problem is, when you drive like an idiot you've got about as good a chance of killing someone else as yourself.
Please don’t take this the wrong way...I'm only trying to make a point here, not attack you personally.

I’m not reading anything about people turning their friends into the police or taking their keys away or having an intervention. All I’m seeing is a bunch of whining and crying and name calling and self preservation by “I’m never riding with that asshole again”. Then there’s the rehashed story telling about bad crashes and speeding and acting stupid so that’s just preaching to the choir.

Also, allow me to point out this thread is drenched in hypocrisy. I don’t doubt for a second people were riding with or seeing others driving dangerously at high rates of speed. However, I just know, and would bet the farm, that every author here has driven to a degree of recklessness that others would deem dangerous and stupid at a high rate of speed. Only it’s ok because YOU were driving and felt like you were in control. I’m no exception. I have done reckless things before, but I can honestly say no one was in the car and I’d like to think no one else was in danger...except the other car...

Like you all, I’ve personally been (on the scale of) nervous to scared riding with others. I didn’t say anything..I just never rode with them again.

I’ve went as far to tell someone, “yup you’re gonna die”, and I’ve not went on cruises and told the people exactly why I’m not going...because person X is going and they are really dangerous. It paid off once.

So that leaves only one thing. Darwinism.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:47 PM   #19
MR.1LE

Drives: 2019 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
Please don’t take this the wrong way...I'm only trying to make a point here, not attack you personally.

I’m not reading anything about people turning their friends into the police or taking their keys away or having an intervention. All I’m seeing is a bunch of whining and crying and name calling and self preservation by “I’m never riding with that asshole again”. Then there’s the rehashed story telling about bad crashes and speeding and acting stupid so that’s just preaching to the choir.

Also, allow me to point out this thread is drenched in hypocrisy. I don’t doubt for a second people were riding with or seeing others driving dangerously at high rates of speed. However, I just know, and would bet the farm, that every author here has driven to a degree of recklessness that others would deem dangerous and stupid at a high rate of speed. Only it’s ok because YOU were driving and felt like you were in control. I’m no exception. I have done reckless things before, but I can honestly say no one was in the car and I’d like to think no one else was in danger...except the other car...

Like you all, I’ve personally been (on the scale of) nervous to scared riding with others. I didn’t say anything..I just never rode with them again.

I’ve went as far to tell someone, “yup you’re gonna die”, and I’ve not went on cruises and told the people exactly why I’m not going...because person X is going and they are really dangerous. It paid off once.

So that leaves only one thing. Darwinism.
Well I hate to break it to you but you lost the farm...Maybe in my younger years late teen early 20's did a few stupid things. But I drive always very cautiously and defensively. I also ride motorcycles which I am glad I waited until my late 40's to do it. Just last night on my way to work a group of BMW's trying to race me. I just waved them on by..That is not what I purchased the car for. I wanted to enjoy the feel and the handling of a high performance machine. Not put other people in danger including myself. I told him his driving made me nervous and he was taking too many chances and putting people at risk. He advised me he would respect my opinion and not drive like that again with me in the car. No hypocrisy here as I too have seen my fair share of fatal accidents.
MR.1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:48 PM   #20
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Squawk usually I'm with you and have been just as guilty as the next person, in my younger years especially. But I have to disagree and say that logic would dictate that the deputy with the heartbreaking story has done more than take keys away. So again I'm with you to a certain extent except in the case of the deputy. Not trying to start an argument or get on your bad side as you seem like a cool guy. However for once in my life I have to stand up for the deputy here.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:59 PM   #21
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post
Squawk usually I'm with you and have been just as guilty as the next person, in my younger years especially. But I have to disagree and say that logic would dictate that the deputy with the heartbreaking story has done more than take keys away. So again I'm with you to a certain extent except in the case of the deputy. Not trying to start an argument or get on your bad side as you seem like a cool guy. However for once in my life I have to stand up for the deputy here.

.my apologies for not separating the two... I did not mean, for one second, to twist his tragedy into the other part... good lord I’m not a monster. Please please forgive if that wasn’t clear. One being a personal tragedy, the other being the other stories we’ve all heard about (bad crashes)...the ones that the idiots don’t seem to care about anyway. Are we good?

Ps. I want to reiterate...that was no one’s misunderstanding...it was my failure to be clear...I can’t back out of anything I said because I didn’t mis-speak, I just didn’t clarify to what I was referring more clearly. It’s important to me that this situation is rectified.

Thanks for reading...

Last edited by SquawkVFR; 09-17-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:04 PM   #22
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.1LE View Post
Well I hate to break it to you but you lost the farm...Maybe in my younger years late teen early 20's did a few stupid things. But I drive always very cautiously and defensively. I also ride motorcycles which I am glad I waited until my late 40's to do it. Just last night on my way to work a group of BMW's trying to race me. I just waved them on by..That is not what I purchased the car for. I wanted to enjoy the feel and the handling of a high performance machine. Not put other people in danger including myself. I told him his driving made me nervous and he was taking too many chances and putting people at risk. He advised me he would respect my opinion and not drive like that again with me in the car. No hypocrisy here as I too have seen my fair share of fatal accidents.

Really? You’re gonna say I lost the bet and admit to doing stupid things in practically the same sentence? C’mon man. You lost all credibility right out the gate...
Old 09-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #23
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I would wager that all of us, myself included...of course, have gone over the speed limit and/or have gone WOT with their rides. I must admit.........the sound of a v8 at WOT is intoxicating. There is a difference when you choose your exhibition responsibly. Doing this on a wide open road with limited traffic is wise; However its still illegal. If I were caught on one of these roads going over the speed limit, then there's nothing I could say. I'd take responsibility for it. That's the point of this discussion; Having a good car and driving it responsibly. If you are really into all out speed and want to hammer your car, its not wrong but you have to choose a venue that can handle this. Weaving in and out of traffic is the wrong venue, as I've stated before because it will cost lives if an accident happens. A dragstrip or an oval track is a good venue to exhibit speed and power. If you screw up, its bad but hopefully the damage will be limited to your car.

I'm no saint when it comes to owning a good v8, but I've seen firsthand more bad results of reckless driving than I care to admit.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote