Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-19-2021, 08:26 AM   #1
scantone

Drives: 18 Z1E - 18 Raptor - 17 Jeep SRT
Fuel Surge Tank

Has anyone looked into one of these over an AUX fuel pump setup in order to avoid the fuel starvation issue with 800+hp and corners? Wondering if you could do the following -

1. Use the stock in-tank pump as the surge tanks lift pump by running switched power to the stock pump.
2. Intercept the FPCM and run one of the surge tank pumps in order to keep the ecu happy.
3. Second/third surge pump could be set up for an XDI belt pump etc.
scantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:48 PM   #2
Corey7519

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
From what ive read its an issue under a half tank of fuel. Again its what ive read - i have yet to road couse the ZL1.
Corey7519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:38 PM   #3
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
I have looked into it, the existing aux pumps and the dual pump hanger both create dangerous problems under 1/2 tank on track--I would never risk that. I have experience with this from my prior car, the only way I would build a high WHP ZL1 for track is with a fuel cell with a large integrated surge tank and dual high flow Walbro/Ti E85 pumps for both lift and the surge tank (dual on both). It's the most proven solution, and you can remove it as one unit and install in your next car.

Radium Engineering has a lot of universal Fuel Cell Surge Tank options for this, I'd start there.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:12 PM   #4
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
I am looking at getting a surge tank installed soon because I too am having fuel starvation issues on a particularly hard and long right hander on my formerly stock ZL1 on 2/3's of a tank of fuel or less.

(I've now bumped up the power slightly with intake, headers and a tune)

Right now I'm about to look under the car for a suitable location for the surge tank because I think having it in the trunk would not be the safest idea.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:16 PM   #5
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
I have looked into it, the existing aux pumps and the dual pump hanger both create dangerous problems under 1/2 tank on track--I would never risk that. I have experience with this from my prior car, the only way I would build a high WHP ZL1 for track is with a fuel cell with a large integrated surge tank and dual high flow Walbro/Ti E85 pumps for both lift and the surge tank (dual on both). It's the most proven solution, and you can remove it as one unit and install in your next car.

Radium Engineering has a lot of universal Fuel Cell Surge Tank options for this, I'd start there.
Would you say that is over kill for a slightly modified ZL1 with intake, headers and a tune? From 650hp to 720hp(ish)

Do you think a surge tank alone would be enough without the need for a fuel cell? (If I'm getting any of the terminology mixed up feel free to point that out as I'm not really sure how a fuel cell and a surge tank work together)
Old 02-24-2021, 02:37 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Keep an eye on Travis' thread and fueling issues... He's determined to figure this one out.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:51 PM   #7
scantone

Not much room under the car for one, the only place I can see would be in the trunk.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:57 PM   #8
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
I have an over the top surge tank set up. I didn’t like the radium because once you put 3 pumps in there isn’t much fuel volume.

The set up I have is a 4 dw350il pumps in 2 eBay surge tanks. I don’t remember the math but it is something like 2000hp worth of e85 for 15 seconds.

I left the stock line in place and put a t under the car by the tank. I attached a 100hp jet to that t and then to the surge tanks. Basically I have 100hp worth of fuel filling the tanks at all times. I have no fueling issues and can run the tank as low as I like. It is busy looking but behind the trunk side cover so you can’t see it. I will find some pics.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:22 PM   #9
parish8

Don’t laugh, told You it was busy looking. I will say I haven’t had to touch it since installing it. It seems to have clicked all the boxes. The extra pump only come on under load, 2 at a time.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2021, 03:31 PM   #10
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
Don’t laugh, told You it was busy looking. I will say I haven’t had to touch it since installing it. It seems to have clicked all the boxes. The extra pump only come on under load, 2 at a time.
You’re a gosh darn wizard!
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:47 PM   #11
scantone

Quote:
I have an over the top surge tank set up. I didn’t like the radium because once you put 3 pumps in there isn’t much fuel volume.

The set up I have is a 4 dw350il pumps in 2 eBay surge tanks. I don’t remember the math but it is something like 2000hp worth of e85 for 15 seconds.

I left the stock line in place and put a t under the car by the tank. I attached a 100hp jet to that t and then to the surge tanks. Basically I have 100hp worth of fuel filling the tanks at all times. I have no fueling issues and can run the tank as low as I like. It is busy looking but behind the trunk side cover so you can’t see it. I will find some pics.
Please explain how the surge tanks are being filled, Im not following the jet idea.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:15 PM   #12
parish8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scantone View Post
Please explain how the surge tanks are being filled, Im not following the jet idea.
There is a quick connect right in front of the tank in the factory fuel line going to the engine. I put a t fitting in there. I wanted most of the fuel to go to the front like normal so Installed a fitting with a 100jet sized hole in it coming off the t. From there to the first tank, then the 2nd tank, then return to the factory tank.

For normal driving only the stock pump runs. You don’t have to do anything in the tank or mess with the controller. There isn’t a great deal of fuel circulating but there is a little.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2021, 04:19 PM   #13
scantone

Quote:
There is a quick connect right in front of the tank in the factory fuel line going to the engine. I put a t fitting in there. I wanted most of the fuel to go to the front like normal so Installed a fitting with a 100jet sized hole in it coming off the t. From there to the first tank, then the 2nd tank, then return to the factory tank.

For normal driving only the stock pump runs. You don’t have to do anything in the tank or mess with the controller. There isn’t a great deal of fuel circulating but there is a little.
Got it, and where do you have the surge tank feeds plumbed into?
Old 02-24-2021, 04:20 PM   #14
parish8

Then I built a full fuel system off of the surge tanks up to the pi rails, I also tied the rails to the factory line up front just to be sure everything gets plenty of fuel. This means the regulator for the new fuel system had to be set above the pressure the factory system would produce to keep fuel from returning when normal driving.