Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 07-12-2017, 10:18 AM   #15
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI Tuning View Post
If you can borrow a scanner you should be able to isolate which cylinder it is.
Buy a $20 code scanner from Harbor Freight or get one shipped from China on ebay. It is worth that small investment to keep a handle on your problem.
Random misfires at startup don't sound "normal" to me. Sounds like early stages of developing problem. You need a certain number of misfires for the CEL (check engine light) to turn solid. But you will have a pending code before that happens which can be read by a scan tool, and it will tell you which cylinder or cylinder bank is the problem.
Of course, misfire is just a guess until you pull the code. Could be emissions code like evap for all we know.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #16
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
At this point your service advisor is probably correct. There are so many sensors and components involving engine management that every great once in a while a voltage spike or no voltage read on any of them can cause something like this. If it just came on for a few seconds, then went away completely and did not set a code, it was more likely than not something like this. These systems are designed to run multiple checks. It's when it fails the check x amount of times that the code is set. Some of these are more sensitive than others. A misfire fault will flash the light almost immediately, however, when the system rechecks and the condition is no longer detected, it goes off. You may very well never see it again. If it does happen again, get it checked out.

Of course, if the engine was actually misfiring, running rough, then it should be checked immediately.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #17
Bodyslide

Drives: Traded in 2016 BLUE VELVET 2LT RS
The first time it happened the code was for a misfire, I reset it at home. Down here no code reader, so I will check it once I get home and if needed go by the dealer to further investigate. I know the 14's had an issue that needed a refresh per a Google search.
Bodyslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #18
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
At this point your service advisor is probably correct. There are so many sensors and components involving engine management that every great once in a while a voltage spike or no voltage read on any of them can cause something like this. If it just came on for a few seconds, then went away completely and did not set a code, it was more likely than not something like this. These systems are designed to run multiple checks. It's when it fails the check x amount of times that the code is set. Some of these are more sensitive than others. A misfire fault will flash the light almost immediately, however, when the system rechecks and the condition is no longer detected, it goes off. You may very well never see it again. If it does happen again, get it checked out.

Of course, if the engine was actually misfiring, running rough, then it should be checked immediately.

While it is true on the sensors, the flashing check engine light has always been associated with misfire detection.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:12 AM   #19
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
While it is true on the sensors, the flashing check engine light has always been associated with misfire detection.
This is true. However, a P300 code, random or multiple misfire code, is typically set of by the knock sensors, and there are a lot of things that can set these off.

For example, I had a '96 Vette with the LT4 engine. I put a hotcam in it. Now, while these obviously run better with a tune, I never got around to it. The hotcam is mild enough that it isn't really necessary. However, it would throw a 300 every now and again. Well, some time later, I replaced the clutch and the dual mass flywheel, which was toast, with a single mass flywheel. Drove the car for another year and never once saw the 300 code again. I really think it had something to do with the dual mass vibration caused by the slight lope in the cam that triggered higher knock counts. the only time I had a flashing MIL, P300, was just before the fuel pump retired. (Which come to think of it, the GenV LT1 has two fuel pumps, one in the tank and the high pressure pump under the intake manifold)
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:21 AM   #20
TJay74

Correct, the knock sensors are what trip the misfire code, when the detect detonation at a certain frequency it trips the flashing check engine light.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:13 PM   #21
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Correct, the knock sensors are what trip the misfire code, when the detect detonation at a certain frequency it trips the flashing check engine light.
This just happened to me tonight. I've been noticing on hard pulls up to 150 mph, that I can feel a misfire in the high rev range. It finally happened today on a spirited 0-100 run. CEL flashed for about 20 seconds then went off. I do notice when I'm pushing it hard, I do hear some knock on the high rev range. I'm adding Meth Injection on Monday, so I'm going to have my tuner look things over. I'm running 93 plus Torco so it can't be an octane problem. I did change stock wires over to MSD. I wonder if that's the problem. Who knows. I'll find out on Monday what the issue is.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:22 PM   #22
TJay74

Have you pulled the plugs yet to make sure the plugs are not work or defective? Cheap insurance to check them or replace them.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:14 PM   #23
CFM

Drives: 2017 2SS, Twin Blown 429 LSX Av
My 2017 has been garaged all winter. I have started it up several times though. About 2 weeks ago I got a constant flashing CEL with code P0308...misfire cylinder 8. Didn't touch anything as it only has 2300 km on it and I haven't torn into it yet. Dealer says they found a backed out terminal on the #8 coil pack connector. Don't see that happening if the connector was assembled properly and 100% intact. They said all they did was seat the terminal and lock it down. So its possible it could happen to someone else.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:32 PM   #24
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
This just happened to me tonight. I've been noticing on hard pulls up to 150 mph, that I can feel a misfire in the high rev range. It finally happened today on a spirited 0-100 run. CEL flashed for about 20 seconds then went off. I do notice when I'm pushing it hard, I do hear some knock on the high rev range. I'm adding Meth Injection on Monday, so I'm going to have my tuner look things over. I'm running 93 plus Torco so it can't be an octane problem. I did change stock wires over to MSD. I wonder if that's the problem. Who knows. I'll find out on Monday what the issue is.
Loose wire....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:59 PM   #25
GarnetRedJuan

Drives: 2017 garnet red zl1 2022 AT4 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
Just found this while searching for this problem imon my stock zl1. I have a thread started. Same thing. Surging, low power once it’s in the 3 digit speed range. Flashing SES light now. It’s at the dealership now
GarnetRedJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #26
CUPRA

Drives: '21 Bronco OBX/'18 Jeep GC Altitude
This happened to me this morning. I picked my car up from the dealer after having the pinion seal replaced as it had started leaking.

My wife works at the dealership, so I drove half a mile through the dealership to her office and chatted for about 5 mins. I then left the dealership and hit the access road, accelerated into traffic, and as I did so, the 'Service Stabilitrack' warning came up and the flashing CEL.

Being as I was driving along side the dealership, I turned back in and went straight back to service. As I pulled in, I caught the Service Manager's (he's a friend of mine) eye, and he saw the flashing CEL on my dash. Grabbed an OBD-II reader with my Service Advisor and read the code. They took it back to the techs and they looked into it more. Said that I'd had a total 241 counts of a misfire on cylinder 2 (I have a V6 RS).

The code was cleared and there hasn't been an issue again since. I'll be taking it out this weekend for a drive just to make sure it's all ok. Was told to bring it straight back in if I see it again and they'll take care of it. I have 6800 miles on my car.
Built: 11/18/22
VIN received: 11/19/22
On a Train: 02/27/23
ETA: TBD

2023 Camaro 2SS Convertible/M6/Shadow Grey Metallic/Adrenaline Red Interior/Carbon Flash Wheels/NPP
CUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:05 PM   #27
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Drives: '21 2SS 1LE
Any follow up to this? 21 SS 1le only p0300 on the race track, after a few laps. I can’t get it to do it on the street
joeyazzata29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:50 PM   #28
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Drives: '21 2SS 1LE
Did anyone resolve this?
joeyazzata29 is offline   Reply With Quote