Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-07-2021, 05:44 PM   #1
Shay

Drives: Camaro
Shaking and shifting hard at certain speeds

Just tired. At 40 my car would shake and then jerk when the car kicks in. 60 even worse. 75 on up. Terrible. I just got the car in Jersey The end of Dec 2020 I took the car back after 3 days for the shaking. They found nothing said it’s how they drive. Took it back again to the same dealer 3 more times.(4 total) They did a fluid exchange I moved to Pa. took my car to another dealer. Didn’t say what was done just to see if they would find anything different. Nope. They did a fluid exchange no change. Opened a claim with GM. Took it to another dealer. This is dealer number 3 Visit number 6 they change my torque converter. Car was worse. Now I’m here with visit number 7. Trying to give them a chance to fix it. Yet again. Gm advisor was supposed to send some special team down. My car sat for a week. Nothing. I had to go down and literally take the mechanic on the freeway for him to see what I was talking about. The rpm needle jumping up and down fast. Car shaking at speeds. So they call me and tell me. Gm is sending a water kit to see if my transmission is contaminated. 1 week later Oh. Yeh it’s positive. You need a new transmission. After 7 visits. Driving around since December on a bad tranny. Now Almost 3 weeks later . Now n I get a call today that they put a defective part on and have to remove the tranny n torque converter after they noticed it. . N reorder and do everything all over again. So another two weeks. Mind you they have had my car before my last car note and yet again Another note. . So another two week wait for my car. I have a loaner but I’m not paying almost $600 for this crappy loaner I was given. So just a heads up to anyone who may have experienced the shaking and hard shift issues. Have a water kit done just to see if they would like to finally admit it’s your tranny. Something I knew from the beginning. This just can’t go on like this. Any suggestions or options ?? I don’t even want the vehicle now
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:48 PM   #2
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
At least they finally found the issue and are fixing it all for you, under warranty. I can't believe you say you don't want the car anymore after Everything you went through to get it right! But, that's up to you. Hang in there.
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:02 PM   #3
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Give some specs on your car... What model, what trans??? If you want help, you need to provide details...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:17 PM   #4
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
As slow as my M6 may be, I draw immense inspiration daily that I did not end up with a catastrophic automatic as frequently seen here and in other sites. These autos fly at the track, but when they have an issue... oh boy...the m6 seems like a plague-free concept as slow and archaic as they may be.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:35 AM   #5
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
As slow as my M6 may be, I draw immense inspiration daily that I did not end up with a catastrophic automatic as frequently seen here and in other sites. These autos fly at the track, but when they have an issue... oh boy...the m6 seems like a plague-free concept as slow and archaic as they may be.
Agree. Give me a manual any day, it’s way more fun when you actually have to drive a car.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:12 AM   #6
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupilbone View Post
Agree. Give me a manual any day, it’s way more fun when you actually have to drive a car.

When you live in Florida a manual isn't very fun to drive unless you're in rural FL.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:18 AM   #7
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
When you live in Florida a manual isn't very fun to drive unless you're in rural FL.
If you are using your camaro as a daily. I wouldnt use my camaro through a weekday morning or afternoon during rush hour, that's what the work car/beater is for.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:07 AM   #8
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
If you are using your camaro as a daily. I wouldnt use my camaro through a weekday morning or afternoon during rush hour, that's what the work car/beater is for.
i certainly would not use the camaro for a daily. if that was my only option for it id buy something else. these cars are atrocious daily drivers.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:27 AM   #9
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
i certainly would not use the camaro for a daily. if that was my only option for it id buy something else. these cars are atrocious daily drivers.
I've driven all four of my Camaros (1983, 2002, 2010, and 2017) as daily drivers. I find nothing atrocious about it. I've thoroughly enjoyed it everyday and get psyched just going out to the garage to drive it every time!

It's great for back and forth to work, getting groceries, running errands, day trips, road trips, etc. We use my wife's SUV when I need to haul something that won't fit in the Camaro (not often).

In my opinion, it's the ideal daily driver!

OP... Get it fixed and enjoy!

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:36 AM   #10
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post
Just tired. At 40 my car would shake and then jerk when the car kicks in. 60 even worse. 75 on up. Terrible. I just got the car in Jersey The end of Dec 2020 I took the car back after 3 days for the shaking. They found nothing said it’s how they drive. Took it back again to the same dealer 3 more times.(4 total) They did a fluid exchange I moved to Pa. took my car to another dealer. Didn’t say what was done just to see if they would find anything different. Nope. They did a fluid exchange no change. Opened a claim with GM. Took it to another dealer. This is dealer number 3 Visit number 6 they change my torque converter. Car was worse. Now I’m here with visit number 7. Trying to give them a chance to fix it. Yet again. Gm advisor was supposed to send some special team down. My car sat for a week. Nothing. I had to go down and literally take the mechanic on the freeway for him to see what I was talking about. The rpm needle jumping up and down fast. Car shaking at speeds. So they call me and tell me. Gm is sending a water kit to see if my transmission is contaminated. 1 week later Oh. Yeh it’s positive. You need a new transmission. After 7 visits. Driving around since December on a bad tranny. Now Almost 3 weeks later . Now n I get a call today that they put a defective part on and have to remove the tranny n torque converter after they noticed it. . N reorder and do everything all over again. So another two weeks. Mind you they have had my car before my last car note and yet again Another note. . So another two week wait for my car. I have a loaner but I’m not paying almost $600 for this crappy loaner I was given. So just a heads up to anyone who may have experienced the shaking and hard shift issues. Have a water kit done just to see if they would like to finally admit it’s your tranny. Something I knew from the beginning. This just can’t go on like this. Any suggestions or options ?? I don’t even want the vehicle now
Sorry to hear about your woes.

Is this an A8 (8L90 or 8L45) transmission? If yes, a new one plus a new torque converter with the proper fluid will solve the problem, like it did for practically everyone else.

Another note, in me experience, finding a dealership with a decent service department is key to happy vehicle ownership.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:30 AM   #11
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
In part, driving stick is what you make it out to be. Doesn't matter if you go into it optimistically looking for the involvement or pessimistically at it seeming like too much work - you'll get what you expect to get.

Norm
Old 05-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #12
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
There is a lot missing from the OP detail-wise.
But as far as water in the transmission fluid and the amount of trouble he had, I would want to know how much water.
I would look at the radiator for damage (rocks, etc.) and any coolant loss. Thinking about coolant getting into the tranny fluid.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote