Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-25-2023, 10:23 AM   #43
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
I've run MCS 3-way on my 2016 SS, and now I'm running MCS 2-way non-remotes on my ZL1 1LE. I like the non-remotes for simplicity, but I kinda liked the damping better with the 3-way, compression wasn't quite so digressive with those. I may get these revalved at some point.

I went from the DSSV to the MCS for the primary purpose of fitting more wheel and tire up front. I'm 18x12 in front now, and there is plenty of room. I'm considering 18x13, once some wider (fast) tires come out. Not for the faint of heart.

The damping on the MCS, as I have them set right now, is very similar to the DSSV. The DSSV have tons of low speed compression, and with 2wnr they feel very similar with the compression turned up.

I primarily autox, so it's tough to create any sort of direct comparison. So far I have been taking top PAX at local events by a bit more than I generally did last year on DSSVs against the same competition. I think any difference in time is primarily attributable to gaining an extra inch of front wheel/tire.

I'll be at the Ridge again later this year, but it's been repaved so my lap times would not be comparable.
Reviving this thread

Is there anything else you had to do in order to fit a 12 inch wide wheel upfront? I’m assuming it wolf have to be 18 inch Diameter and not 19 correct?

I have a ZL1 and magnetic ride control, would the MSC give me the same benefit as you for a wider, front wheel and tire? Right now I am 19x11 in the fronts
Old 03-25-2023, 04:08 PM   #44
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
I know there have been numerous threads over the years about track-focused suspension upgrades for the ZLE's DSSV's. However, they are just full of "options" and opinions without any real-world data. It also appears as if some of the mentioned options never actually came to fruition (Ohlins, and Penske no longer list a 6th gen option).

The only complete coilover systems I can find that are readily available appear to be DSC Sports DDA active suspension and Motion Control Suspension (MCS) 2,3, and 4-way dampers.

Is there anyone out there in the vast depth of the internet who actually has either of these systems on their ZLE? Anyone with data showing a comparison?

I see DSC posted one ZLE with their system on it, but there has been no follow-up info, and no details on why this owner switched. Any chance you are a member here?

If I remember correctly, someone on here has MSC 4-ways on their auto-x focused 6th gen, you still around? What top hats did you go with? What spring rates?

Looking for any real-world info.
I have KW Variant 3 Coil Overs installed on my SS 1LE but THAT is definitely an upgrade over the ZLE suspension no doubt if I compared that to my own ZLE set up that I had on my previous car. These are GERMAN made and I opted for these over the MCS Coil Overs based on the fact that I knew the KW had a great reputation for track worthiness on other cars primarily in the BMW and Corvette world. I track my car 3-4 times a month and this set up is about TWO seconds faster on a road course , I also daily drive this car and this set up is BY FAR a much better than the dump truck ride I got with my ZLE suspension.

It is NOT by any means a QUIET suspension especially when teamed up with VORSHLAG camber plates but I dont really give a shit about that anyway. The Variant 3's allow you to adjust the rebound and compression settings independently of each other and I have them currently adjusted to the FIRMER side . The QUALITY of the KW is VERY VERY good. They are height adjustable as well and I have them adjusted to about 1/2 inch of what would be their LOWEST position. At this setting you will have ABOUT one finger worth of space between the TOP if the tire to the CENTER of the wheel wells both FRONT and REAR (see pic).

Initially we went with with 12 clicks from FULL Soft on the COMPRESSION setting for the FRONTS (same as 4 clicks from FULL hard in other words). On the FRONT REBOUND settings we are going with 10 clicks from FULL SOFT.

On the REAR setting we are 8 clicks from full soft for COMPRESSION and 10 clicks from full soft on the rebound setting.

These cost about 3K and they come with a set of springs that work well with ALL the different settings (they pre-select the spring for you).
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Current Alignment.pdf (520.9 KB, 25 views)
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10

Last edited by sr71bb; 03-25-2023 at 04:48 PM.
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:30 AM   #45
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
I have KW Variant 3 Coil Overs installed on my SS 1LE but THAT is definitely an upgrade over the ZLE suspension no doubt if I compared that to my own ZLE set up that I had on my previous car. These are GERMAN made and I opted for these over the MCS Coil Overs based on the fact that I knew the KW had a great reputation for track worthiness on other cars primarily in the BMW and Corvette world. I track my car 3-4 times a month and this set up is about TWO seconds faster on a road course , I also daily drive this car and this set up is BY FAR a much better than the dump truck ride I got with my ZLE suspension.

It is NOT by any means a QUIET suspension especially when teamed up with VORSHLAG camber plates but I dont really give a shit about that anyway. The Variant 3's allow you to adjust the rebound and compression settings independently of each other and I have them currently adjusted to the FIRMER side . The QUALITY of the KW is VERY VERY good. They are height adjustable as well and I have them adjusted to about 1/2 inch of what would be their LOWEST position. At this setting you will have ABOUT one finger worth of space between the TOP if the tire to the CENTER of the wheel wells both FRONT and REAR (see pic).

Initially we went with with 12 clicks from FULL Soft on the COMPRESSION setting for the FRONTS (same as 4 clicks from FULL hard in other words). On the FRONT REBOUND settings we are going with 10 clicks from FULL SOFT.

On the REAR setting we are 8 clicks from full soft for COMPRESSION and 10 clicks from full soft on the rebound setting.

These cost about 3K and they come with a set of springs that work well with ALL the different settings (they pre-select the spring for you).
So bottom line the KWV3 are faster on the track than the magnetic ride control by up to a couple seconds based on your data/experience and more comfortable than the DSSV’s but no data to support if they are faster than the DSSV’s, correct?

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 03-27-2023 at 02:07 AM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:14 AM   #46
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
So bottom line the KWV3 are faster on the track than the magnetic ride control by up to a couple seconds based on your data/experience and more comfortable than the DSSV’s but no data to support if they are faster than the DSSV’s, correct?
The only data I have is with these KW V3's the car is the fastest it has ever been around the same road courses I have always run on including the period of time I had my ZLE.

That's probably not an entirely fair comparison since over the last two years the car and the driver have become more capable.

I will say though that the adjustability of compression and rebound settings along with being able to run MORE negative camber (-4.0) have me firmly convinced this is a more capable set up than the DSSV's are. The times themselves prove that.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:51 AM   #47
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
The only data I have is with these KW V3's the car is the fastest it has ever been around the same road courses I have always run on including the period of time I had my ZLE.

That's probably not an entirely fair comparison since over the last two years the car and the driver have become more capable.

I will say though that the adjustability of compression and rebound settings along with being able to run MORE negative camber (-4.0) have me firmly convinced this is a more capable set up than the DSSV's are. The times themselves prove that.
OK, thanks for the additional info and caveat, a few seconds more per lap from just coil overs did seem like a lot, so that makes more sense now, and I agree that driver improvement is always the biggest factor by far.

Sounds also like you are saying you are faster around the same race track with your SS 1LE than your former ZL11LE. If so, that race track must be a tight technical shorter track combined with your increase in your driver ability and experience. Thanks again for clarifying
Old 03-27-2023, 03:57 PM   #48
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
The guy that took 3rd place in the NASA TT2 championship was using these and was featured in a story about the car.

https://nasaspeed.news/columns/must-...podium-in-tt2/

https://vorshlag-store.com/collectio...en-camaro-2016
Old 03-28-2023, 12:24 AM   #49
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
The guy that took 3rd place in the NASA TT2 championship was using these and was featured in a story about the car.

https://nasaspeed.news/columns/must-...podium-in-tt2/

https://vorshlag-store.com/collectio...en-camaro-2016
Thanks for sharing that story and those links, that’s really good to know that there was a significant and noticeable difference between the two way non-remotes and the two adjustable with remote reservoirs.

However, I wish the article expanded upon why he switched from the MRC to the MCS in the first place, aside from the obvious end goal of faster lap time, the article seemed to suggest that the MCS 2 way adjustable, non-remote reservoir might not have been as good as the stock MRC over rough surfaces or maybe the article was trying to say that this was the only area that it did not improve over the MRC and the reason for the upgrade to the MCS remote reservoir version

Though I’m not sure why the article claimed the Camaro is heavier than the mustang and lacks the same front end grip, those parts made no sense to me, unless I missed something about the mustang being modified
Old 04-11-2023, 09:49 AM   #50
Vivid_1LE

Drives: 2022 Camaro SS 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
I know there have been numerous threads over the years about track-focused suspension upgrades for the ZLE's DSSV's. However, they are just full of "options" and opinions without any real-world data. It also appears as if some of the mentioned options never actually came to fruition (Ohlins, and Penske no longer list a 6th gen option).

The only complete coilover systems I can find that are readily available appear to be DSC Sports DDA active suspension and Motion Control Suspension (MCS) 2,3, and 4-way dampers.

Is there anyone out there in the vast depth of the internet who actually has either of these systems on their ZLE? Anyone with data showing a comparison?

I see DSC posted one ZLE with their system on it, but there has been no follow-up info, and no details on why this owner switched. Any chance you are a member here?

If I remember correctly, someone on here has MSC 4-ways on their auto-x focused 6th gen, you still around? What top hats did you go with? What spring rates?

Looking for any real-world info.
Pratt & Miller can still get ahold of the Ohlins dampers from the Camaro GT4.R but last I checked it was around 9k for all 4. Having said that any quality motorsports damper (JRZ, Penske, Ohlins) is going to run somewhere around that for cars like these.
Vivid_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote