Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-29-2023, 10:44 PM   #1
Saberscar223

Drives: 2023 Riverside Blue 2SS
Why does the SS come with summer only?

I understand the 1LEs coming with summer only performance tires but why does the base SS? Even the C8 Corvette comes with All Seasons. It’s too cold here (in Texas of all places) for summers and I find my self sliding like I’m on hockey pucks.
Saberscar223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 06:24 AM   #2
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
That’s a good question for the engineers/designers of the Camaro. I always wondered why they didn’t offer an all season tire option for the SS also.
Old 01-30-2023, 07:00 AM   #3
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
As I remember - back in the day 2015/2016 - the articles I read stated the performance target that GM used for the Gen6 Camaro SS was the BMW M4 of that time. They wanted a car that from the factory would beat the M4 in all around performance (acceleration/handling/braking - etc.) They worked with Goodyear to create a run flat tire that would provide the needed traction/grip to hit the target. Tires are a major component in handling/traction performance. What came out of the collaboration with Goodyear is the summer performance run flat tire we all got/get on the Camaro SS.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:59 AM   #4
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
As I remember - back in the day 2015/2016 - the articles I read stated the performance target that GM used for the Gen6 Camaro SS was the BMW M4 of that time. They wanted a car that from the factory would beat the M4 in all around performance (acceleration/handling/braking - etc.) They worked with Goodyear to create a run flat tire that would provide the needed traction/grip to hit the target. Tires are a major component in handling/traction performance. What came out of the collaboration with Goodyear is the summer performance run flat tire we all got/get on the Camaro SS.
I mean that does make a lot of sense. It sure does seem like a lot of guys pull those tires off the car as the very first Mod. Summer only tires would never work for me here in WI. I really want to go to the MRR 1LE wheels, but that is the major thing that stops me is I can not get all season tires that fit those wheels. I won't run a summer only tire.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:33 AM   #5
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
It comes with summer only tires because it's a performance car. The C8 only comes with all-seasons on the base, non-Z51 cars. Those tires were specifically designed and made for the C8, a car that has years and years of production left in it. Since the Camaro is pretty much dead, they're not going to spend the development money to come up with an all-season performance hybrid tire for it.

Last edited by GearheadSS; 01-30-2023 at 08:44 AM.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:07 AM   #6
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
As I remember - back in the day 2015/2016 - the articles I read stated the performance target that GM used for the Gen6 Camaro SS was the BMW M4 of that time. They wanted a car that from the factory would beat the M4 in all around performance (acceleration/handling/braking - etc.)
I don't doubt this. More detail than I remember.
Essentially, they wanted to market the car as "track ready."
The same logic applies to their choice of semi-metallic brake pads and the inclusion of (what could have been optional) brake cooling parts in the trunk of every SS.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:24 AM   #7
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
It comes with summer only tires because it's a performance car. The C8 only comes with all-seasons on the base, non-Z51 cars. Those tires were specifically designed and made for the C8, a car that has years and years of production left in it. Since the Camaro is pretty much dead, they're not going to spend the development money to come up with an all-season performance hybrid tire for it.

The base C8 is a performance car too, though...

The current gen SS Camaro has had summer tires since the beginning, so it being dead now has nothing to do with it still having summer tires later in life.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:35 AM   #8
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
The current gen SS Camaro has had summer tires since the beginning, so it being dead now has nothing to do with it still having summer tires later in life.
The other thing to remember is that in 2016 the SS was the top performance model. There was no SS 1LE or ZL1 or the mighty ZL1 1LE. Those models all came along in 2017 or later. So, GM wanted the 2016 SS to launch as the performance Camaro able to take down the Mustang GT, Challenger and the M4. They touted it to be a track ready all around performer. Thus the tires chosen were summer high performance to make that happen. . I'm not defending their decision - its just what GM chose to do.

BTW - I now run the Conti Extreme Contact Sport - a much better all around tire (dry & rain). I live in SC so I don't need to worry about super cold weather.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:39 AM   #9
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
The funny this here is that if GM -hadn't- built this car to the high performance spec that it is, including using summer only high performance tires, lots of people would be disappointed that they couldn't buy the car better equipped from the factory for what it's capable of.

Most car manufacturers have been doing this sort of thing with SUV's and crossovers for years - they put higher performance, summer only tires on the vehicles to improve the marketing numbers that they advertise and no one bothers to tell any of the buyers that they aren't going to perform well in the winter months... Personally, I feel there should be more of an uproar around those vehicles because being an all wheel or four wheel drive SUV presents a significantly higher level of expectation for rain/snow/ice operating conditions that it does with a performance vehicle.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:20 AM   #10
Newcastle

Drives: 2022 2 SS 1LE on order ....now a 23
After this week you will be fine in Texas...I hope!
Newcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:45 AM   #11
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
It absolutely does. GM is not going to spend the money to develop an all-season factory available tire for a car that they know won't be around after another couple of years. Tire technology was different before 2016(when the Camaro was designed) than it was when the C8 was designed. Corvette buyers have been asking for an all-season tire for years so the team decided to worth with Michelin to design one.

If you want all seasons, go buy an aftermarket set.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 05:56 AM   #12
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
There'd be no need to design anything new, all they'd need to do is offer PS4S summers or all-seasons. These are currently the best overall street tires for a Camaro. They could also offer Continentals (ECS and DWS) as a bit cheaper options. This would still cost GM money, though, so it's not gonna happen.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:10 AM   #13
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
There'd be no need to design anything new, all they'd need to do is offer PS4S summers or all-seasons. These are currently the best overall street tires for a Camaro. They could also offer Continentals (ECS and DWS) as a bit cheaper options. This would still cost GM money, though, so it's not gonna happen.
But...

They are not runflat and don't offer the same track performance. GM would have to change the way the car is sold (include a spare or kit of some sort) AND they would have to change the marketing performance numbers.

I don't disagree about Michelin making a great tire as I have almost always ended up switching to them on my cars, though.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:15 AM   #14
Carzzy

Drives: '24 Camaro 2SS Conv. & '21Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
The funny this here is that if GM -hadn't- built this car to the high performance spec that it is, including using summer only high performance tires, lots of people would be disappointed that they couldn't buy the car better equipped from the factory for what it's capable of.

Most car manufacturers have been doing this sort of thing with SUV's and crossovers for years - they put higher performance, summer only tires on the vehicles to improve the marketing numbers that they advertise and no one bothers to tell any of the buyers that they aren't going to perform well in the winter months... Personally, I feel there should be more of an uproar around those vehicles because being an all wheel or four wheel drive SUV presents a significantly higher level of expectation for rain/snow/ice operating conditions that it does with a performance vehicle.
I know on my '21 Blazer AWD, the 20" Michelin All Season Touring tires absolutely "Suck" in the snow and ice! They are more like a Summer tire vs. All Season!