Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 01-29-2023, 02:20 PM   #15
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
I previously had a 2019 V6 Camaro and moved on to a Kia Stinger GT2.

I actually loved my V6 as a fun car, but the shitty trunk, limited storage in general and shitty rear seat really got annoying. It was effectively a 2 seater car and I sometimes need to have 3 adults in the car. It's terrible for that. It was my only car and I thought I could deal with the limitations, but I had to move on. I ****ing loved the NPP exhaust though.

The Stinger has been excellent for me so far. Yeah its not as fast as a modern V8 Camaro, but I don't care. I can fit 3 adult passengers, the trunk is huge, I have AWD for Pittsburgh winters and hills. The interior blows the Camaro out of the water. It's fast enough for me. Its still one of the fastest sedans in its price range. Only the Scat Pack Charge and BMW M340i are definitively faster.

If I had the extra space and money then I'd consider the Camaro as a second/toy car, maybe. Frankly I feel like I've got my need for speed and would likely go BRZ or GR86 instead.

The Stinger responds very well to mods for more power as well. I'm not modding mine cause I want to keep the warranty. The engine is stout and the 376 torque is apparently underrated from the factory. Stock dynos show it making that much torque to the wheels. Just realize its a sporty grand touring car and not a sports car. It's super good as a jack of all trades vehicle.

In terms of straight line, going by C&D instrument results, it's more in line with the 5th gen V8 Camaro which I still think is pretty ****ing good:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...e-test-review/

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.5 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 10.3 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 30.2 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.1 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 11.0 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 10.8 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.9 sec @ 111 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 156 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 145 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 1.01 g

https://www.caranddriver.com/kia/stinger
C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 4.6 sec
100 mph: 11.5 sec
1/4-Mile: 13.1 sec @ 107 mph
130 mph: 20.8 sec
150 mph: 32.6 sec
Results above omit 1-ft rollout of 0.3 sec.
Rolling Start, 5–60 mph: 5.3 sec
Top Gear, 30–50 mph: 2.6 sec
Top Gear, 50–70 mph: 3.4 sec
Top Speed (mfr's claim): 149 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 187 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft Skidpad: 0.85 g
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:47 PM   #16
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
A buddy of mine has brought up this car as an after warranty replacement for his wife's Impala, if it's around.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:00 PM   #17
Malbjey

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
A buddy of mine has brought up this car as an after warranty replacement for his wife's Impala, if it's around.

2023 model year (which is out now) is the final year for the Stinger.

Otherwise the Audi A5/S5 sportback is a VERY similar car.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:01 AM   #18
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
I'm assuming Audi's are more $$. They would be looking for a deal, and the warranty is also part of that. Her dad was a Ford dealership guy. She'd have to get past the foreign car thing first.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 05:11 PM   #19
Malbjey

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
I'm assuming Audi's are more $$. They would be looking for a deal, and the warranty is also part of that. Her dad was a Ford dealership guy. She'd have to get past the foreign car thing first.
The Audi A5/S5 used to be alot more. But Kia took away a bunch of the cheaper trim levels on the Stinger over the past couple years.

Now the turbo 4 Stinger starts at around 37K. Add 2K if you want AWD. Add 2.5K-ish more if you want upgraded sound system and sunroof.

The turbo 6 Stinger starts at around 53K. Add 2K again if you want AWD. Other than that you really can't add anything significant. It comes fully loaded.

For Audi, the A5 sportback (turbo 4) starts at 44.5K. So if you're only shopping turbo 4 cars, the Stinger is definitely cheaper.

The S5 sportback (turbo 6) starts at 55.8K. So its pretty damn close to the turbo 6 Stinger after you add AWD to the Stinger (55K vs 55.8K).

However the Audi S5 would be the stripper model. The Stinger comes with more features at the 55K price point. If you want an apples to apples comparison on features you're going to spend at least 60K on the Audi.

In prior years you could get a turbo 6 Stinger in the low to mid 40K range but Kia did away with those lower trims for 2022 and 2023 model years.

I'd buy the Stinger if I planned on keeping it long term, and I'd lease the Audi if I didn't care about keeping it. Repair/maintenance costs should be lower on the Stinget outside of the warranty period too.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:19 PM   #20
Kezos

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE
My brother gots a Stinger v6 turbo awd. Way better daily than my 1ss 1le but I don't daily mine. It's a great all around car, plenty quick and doesn't handle bad, till you push past 7 or 8ths. I would love to have it for my daily. If I had to choose between it and my ss for my only car it would be a tough call.
Kezos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 10:26 AM   #21
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
2023 model year (which is out now) is the final year for the Stinger.

Otherwise the Audi A5/S5 sportback is a VERY similar car.
The sportback is one of if not the smallest of the segment. Arteon, panamera, 4 series CG and the stinger are bigger inside. The stinger is more like between bmw 4 gc and 5 series for rear room. In other words, decent if you have to ride back there. The sportback and the stinger are beautiful IMO and still really close. The 2022 and on stinger gt-line with the 300hp/310tq also kinda tries to straddle the space in between and the A5 and S5.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote