Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-19-2022, 06:58 AM   #15
adamjwilson

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS A10
All these METH haters...lol.
Old 12-19-2022, 09:17 AM   #16
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 2SS View Post
currently running a 2.9 whipple, big gulp intake, headers, 103mm tb, full borla exhaust, and my current fuel upgrades include a lt4 hpfp and dsx low side at 600whp.

My next step is going to be heads\cam with forged pistons\rods, injectors, and debating on meth to push it to around 850-900whp. is anyone running meth on a mainly street car that gets driven a lot? It'll be going to RPM in delaware getting their trunk meth kit if I decide to do so. so if anyone is running their kit specifically that would be even better. any additional maintenance that comes with the meth kit that you'd like to share will be appreciated too
I don't really have an issue with meth in the right application. I don't suggest it for stock bottom end LT1's because they don't tolerate it very well. If you notice almost every Meth setup RPM does is on a forged motor. Pray performance won't even mess with stock bottom end boosted cars. I was one of the last guys that he provided a base tune file that I finished myself before getting away from SBE boost stuff. The reason being is there is a very narrow window on them. And when you are remote tuning, you are relying on the customer to be able to read data and know when things don't look right and let off the throttle. Forged piston with proper ring gaps widens the margin of error 10-fold.

Since you are doing forged pistons with properly gapped rings, you can really go whatever direction you want. Yes, there is maintenance with Meth. The pumps have a short lifespan or at least they use to. Supposedly AEM updated their pumps for better longevity. You also can't see the flame from meth, so it can be sketchy if you ever had an accident in traffic and/or it caught fire. That is one of the reasons I don't like it for a car that will be daily driven.

That being said places like RPM and Pray Performance have been using it successfully and have their setups dialed in pretty well. You seem sold on RPM doing the work, so trust what they say and let them handle it. The worst thing you can do is take your car to a shop and second guess what they do. That almost never works out well. Better off to go elsewhere or do it yourself if you don't agree with how they do things.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 09:18 AM   #17
Schlok

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #397 2022 ZL1 #1799
If you want to go port injection, 19 2 SS, I have a 2.9 whipple already setup by Crawford. I'll cut you a good deal on an un-used blower.
Schlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 04:08 PM   #18
Kerry

Drives: 2019 2SS Camaro
meth is no harder on sbe than any other fuel. What it does do is provide more power than the stock fuel system can do. So power goes up over what is possible with the stock fuel limit. octane goes way up so more power.
Therefore pushing sbe past its limit easier.

Same thing happens with the idea (myth) that boost breaks ring lands and heads cam is safe. U can typically only make so much power with heads cam. Boost allows more power, again exceeding the sbe capacity easier.

Power is power or should I say (cylinder pressure) is the same anyway you get their. Its just an air pump. with a bang.

Heads and cam allow more air to combust razing cylinder pressure. same exact thing happens with boost. Just easier to get more in. Theirs no magical or secret formulas.
How much air u get in and fuel and light is how much power it makes end or story.

Another note its really in a way hard to break one of these motors UNLESS U TURN OFF THE KNOCK SENSORS.

Now u can push it past the parts limit with out any knock and it will break because of too much cylinder pressure, rods bend break ect. Knock can do it but not if the sensors are working and u pay any attention to it at all. U dont want to continuously run it with lots of knock retard all the time.

BUT then again my 2020 silverado 6.2 runs 6 deg of knock may times in a normal drive. on 93. U see they run them against the knock sensors sometimes for fuel efficiency. 450000 miles and still running strong even on that nasty 87 that is NOT recommended ha

When u get to 700 on sbe its time to stop no matter the fuel. Thats about the limit on lt1 rods. dont forget it takes power to spin those blowers so with a turbo i suppose u could go higher, maybe another 100 to get even.

Iv always said that boost will keep making power till the bottom falls out of it. lol and it will.

all out motor race gas makes what 1500. put same motor on pure meth about 2500 put it on nitro now were talking 10000 generally

Last edited by Kerry; 12-19-2022 at 04:33 PM.
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 04:42 PM   #19
KingLT1

Bullshit. Your SBE let go at lower power then where I am at. The difference is I am on E and you were on meth like the rest of them that fail.

Pump gas and meth has a much higher Cylinder temp then Ethanol. Rings are gapped wider for boost so they don't butt due to increased cylinder temps. This is engine building 101 my guy. Make a phone call to Mike Sitar aka ToohighPSI so he can explain it better for you.
Old 12-19-2022, 05:01 PM   #20
Kerry

got my own experience. dont need to call anybody been there done that. My short block broke a rod at about 1000 crank. bullshit lol funny mr king dont know every thing hahahahah. touch a nerve kid. break a few motors then you know something.

Mike is a good tuner no doubt and im not saying he is not. When u make 800 on a 1.8 liter with pure meth maybe u know something ha.

Just pokeing ya lol

o yea sized a rod berring somewhere around 700 crank i guess. 0w40 oil was the problem i know u disagree with that so why dont u run that for about 30000 at your power level put that 5w30 on the shelf. lets see what the cam berings look like. i know what it looks like with 15w50 mobil 1. its a different world.
p.s. i think the 5w30 oil u run is good oil by the way.

if it was the meth why has it not sized the 7 rod again it makes a shit ton more power now at 30000 miles.
i have 7.5 gig and 3416 logs. i dont log unless im hitting it. ha i take it out more than once a year u dont even have 30000 on your car

Last edited by Kerry; 12-19-2022 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-19-2022, 05:01 PM   #21
Kerry

What is the ring gap on the lt4 stock? King im asking you.
Old 12-19-2022, 05:08 PM   #22
Kerry

temp makes power the 1.8 at that power had a ring gap of 12 thou. no problems won alot of races.
Old 12-19-2022, 05:11 PM   #23
KingLT1

Your SBE wasn't 1000 crank when it let go the first time.

Big difference in distribution between injecting M1 methanol through actual fuel injectors vs a fertilizer pump.

I don't really care what you did on 1.8 liter engine built for boost. That has nothing to do with boosting a high compression small block with tight ring gaps.

Talk about touching a nerve...you have made 3 posts in a row. Wow
Old 12-19-2022, 05:30 PM   #24
WiggyB

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
There's a guy I ride with he's fully built LT1 with a maggy 2650 and alky meth kit and he's putting high 800 to 930 to the wheels (not really sure he won't tell me). No issues from his build and they (RPM here in NC) did 1 hell of a job with his car.

I myself am going the route of Kerry and staying stock and going e with mines. From the stories I have heard from guys blowing the bottom ends with meth it always seems to be a cam was added when it happened (I'm sure you can get the same power from e as a cam but just me thinking). I'm not sure but for myself I haven't noticed any issues and like I stated those guys at RPM here are good at what they do. I won't even bother touching my tune and I have an HP kit. Hell I may as well sell it to be honest because I going to always take it back to them if there are any issues.

Let me also add we're just weekend warriors so not really tacking the cars but do have spirited runs from time to time. I guess it depends on how you drive your car which will determine how long it will last.
Old 12-19-2022, 05:47 PM   #25
Kerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Your SBE wasn't 1000 crank when it let go the first time.

Big difference in distribution between injecting M1 methanol through actual fuel injectors vs a fertilizer pump.

I don't really care what you did on 1.8 liter engine built for boost. That has nothing to do with boosting a high compression small block with tight ring gaps.

Talk about touching a nerve...you have made 3 posts in a row. Wow
read the post again u missed it i got nothing to hide. How may pulls u got and it has everything to do with 1.8 with tight ring gaps it was wait for it 11.5 to 1 compression.

you failed to answer the question mr king. what a screen name by the way.

what is the stock ring gap on the lt4 boosted motor. go for it. KING us commoners would like to know lol hahahahah
Old 12-19-2022, 05:53 PM   #26
Kerry

Dont want to put too much in one post sos not to confuse u too much.

If u run meth through normal injectors it will stop them up if u let them sit for like a week. Thats been my experience with id 1700s and also with the 2200s i was running at the end tapped out with 100 pds of fuel pressure.

The old fertilizer pump routine lol. works pretty good.
Old 12-19-2022, 06:32 PM   #27
KingLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
read the post again u missed it i got nothing to hide. How may pulls u got and it has everything to do with 1.8 with tight ring gaps it was wait for it 11.5 to 1 compression.

you failed to answer the question mr king. what a screen name by the way.

what is the stock ring gap on the lt4 boosted motor. go for it. KING us commoners would like to know lol hahahahah
I have over 200 1/8, 1/4, 0-60, 60-130 pulls and 17k miles on my stock bottom end. The car traps 137 in the 1/4 full weight on 20" wheels. I have already posted this several times. You should work on your selective reading.

I already said in another thread (where you went on a rant about the same stuff) that the LT4 gap was around .025. That was based on what someone else measured. I personally haven't measured them have you? Most aftermarket piston companies call for .028 for boost applications from what I have seen.

What does a screen name have to do with anything? Let me guess you want to know the story behind that name? I got that name 22years ago back when I had a 1996 Z28 M6 with a gen 2 LT1. I was out racing one night and beat up on 3 LS1 cars... some guy at the hang out spot came up and called me KingLT1.

https://auto.wiseco.com/blog/everyth...about-ring-gap
Old 12-19-2022, 07:09 PM   #28
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
I have over 200 1/8, 1/4, 0-60, 60-130 pulls and 17k miles on my stock bottom end. The car traps 137 in the 1/4 full weight on 20" wheels. I have already posted this several times. You should work on your selective reading.

I already said in another thread (where you went on a rant about the same stuff) that the LT4 gap was around .025. That was based on what someone else measured. I personally haven't measured them have you? Most aftermarket piston companies call for .028 for boost applications from what I have seen.

What does a screen name have to do with anything? Let me guess you want to know the story behind that name? I got that name 22years ago back when I had a 1996 Z28 M6 with a gen 2 LT1. I was out racing one night and beat up on 3 LS1 cars... some guy at the hang out spot came up and called me KingLT1.

https://auto.wiseco.com/blog/everyth...about-ring-gap
Love it!!! Finally, we get some origin story enlightenment.