Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-08-2022, 12:29 AM   #1
Corbu

Drives: Camaro 2SS
A8 "tapping" noise when coasting (no gas)

Hello everyone,

I have a weird issue that popped up out of the blue and I am suspecting it is related to the transmission.

When driving on the highway and I completely lift off to slowly slow down or when going downhill, there is a metallic tapping / ringing noise that I can hear and it wasn't there before. At the same time, if I touch the transmission shifter I can feel a slight rhythmic tap.

- If I accelerate, even slightly, the noise is not audible anymore and the tap is not felt in the shifter
- If I put the transmission into neutral when coasting, the noise goes away and so does the shifter tap
- If I let the car coast and downshift from 8th to 7th or 6th, the noise frequency doesn't go up, so it is not related to the revs, it seems to be more connected to the speed > the higher the speed, the higher the frequency of the noise
- I also find that sometimes when I am coasting at very low speeds around town and I press the gas pedal, the car starts accelerating with a clunk and it has some jerkiness to it. My car was smooth when warmed up and accelerating, I find it a bit less smooth now. This last bit subjective, but I thought I should mention it in case it might give some clues relating to what might be causing the problem.

I am assuming it is the transmission since the noise goes away when it is in Neutral. I have had the A8 transmission shudder occur 2 years ago, the dealership did the transmission flush and everything went away. I have even tracked the car since the flush and it has been shudder free.

Any ideas on what it might be now? The car has approx. 96,00km / 60,000 miles on it.
Old 10-30-2022, 04:37 PM   #2
Corbu

Drives: Camaro 2SS
To close it off, the differential was the culprit.
Old 10-30-2022, 05:36 PM   #3
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbu View Post
To close it off, the differential was the culprit.
How did you learn this was the problem and what was the solution?

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote