Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 09-20-2021, 07:58 AM   #29
SDG23

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
I've heavily considered getting a 2022+ '86 as a daily next year, my Camaro is few months away from being paid off and plan to do some work to it (FBO, Cam, etc). I typically daily my truck but the new '86/BRZ seems like it would be fun to drive. I know they're not "fast" but there aren't really a ton of options for small, good handling, manual transmission cars out there right now. A Miata I think is probably too small to really seriously consider as a daily and while I will have to wait to see what the Civic Si will be, not too sure I want something that relies on a turbo, so to me a NA car would be best for a daily. Not too sure if I like the new WRX or not, it might be more versatile but it goes back to styling and they have turbos.

I've also considered a Camaro RS V6 M6 as a daily, while I have typically not been a huge fan of v6 Camaro/Mustang/Challenger type cars, it would be faster than an '86/BRZ and priced comparatively. It probably wouldn't handle as well but I'm sure it doesn't handle badly, either.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:45 AM   #30
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
This BRZ you speak of... what does it do?
Old 09-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #31
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Savage geese just dropped a thorough review. I think it’s a pretty solid car. It’s a great dual purpose like my camaro or the miata. They all just deliver in a different way.

https://youtu.be/4OAOh3OCSt8
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:51 AM   #32
s2mikey

Drives: Buick, Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
This BRZ you speak of... what does it do?
Well, according to trustworthy reviews it:
- Handles like a dream
- Has great feel & that "car thing" we all look for
- Reasonable price
- Balance
- Solid power/performance, especially when $$$ is considered
- Subaru tweaking network
- Cool styling

Ironically, its similar in many ways to the Camaro 6th gen(with the smaller engines anyways). Its my Plan B if the Camaro deals falls through or maybe Plan 1A.
s2mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:41 AM   #33
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
If I ever have enough $$$ for a second, fun car then the BRZ would be at the top of my list. I kinda feel like my current car is fast enough in a straight line. Going any faster will just earn me a worse speeding ticket.

I feel like I want to go the opposite direct with a 'slow car fast' approach. Plus I'd love something more toss-able.

I'd give the Miata serious consideration.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:06 AM   #34
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
On another note, how about BRZ vs. Veloster N? I came very close to buying the N. Handling was awesome, but I had my SS 1LE at the time, and I just needed more power than the 275 that came with the performance package. Quite a cool little car. Only about 100 lbs heavier than the BRZ.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:23 AM   #35
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
I like it but I like the 1LE more! It is more appealing if fuel and tire costs are a concern.

From what I can tell the updated Miata has a nicer sound.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:38 PM   #36
Roscoe1492

Drives: 2019 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx9rmal View Post
On another note, how about BRZ vs. Veloster N? I came very close to buying the N. Handling was awesome, but I had my SS 1LE at the time, and I just needed more power than the 275 that came with the performance package. Quite a cool little car. Only about 100 lbs heavier than the BRZ.
I just picked up a 21 Veloster N with the DCT to replace my daily, Fiesta ST. I really like it. It's quick, and agile for what it is. I've had a few different Evo's over the years, and it reminds me a lot of them.
Roscoe1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:14 PM   #37
18SS1LE

Drives: Black 2021 ZLE 10AT
owned 2 of them,
13 brz,
18 brz ts supercharged

great drift cars and plenty of power to get me in trouble even with 200 hp..
18SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:07 PM   #38
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
I had an FRS for a few years. Installed TRD intake and exhaust which made a noticeable bump in power. It wasn't very fast but I never really felt it underpowered, you just have to downshift. High amount of "fun" and the quality was pretty good. Great manual shifter. Cons are it is very small and it was noisy on the highway (in a bad way). I had a long highway commute at the time and the noise got to be very annoying.

I later got a Camaro V6 manual, which I found to be a lot more car all around. FRS/86/BRZ are kinda pricey for what they are and I felt like the Camaro V6 manual was a much better value plus better performance. The new 86 looks like a nice upgrade though and might be a better value.
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:58 AM   #39
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Good handling sport car but lacks power.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:46 AM   #40
Zone5

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Dodge TRX
My questions would be, how does the BRZ compare to a SS 1LE in price, and if you get the SS 1LE, can they still be had with a manual transmission? If the price is comparable, I'm guessing the SS 1LE would destroy it on the road-course, and drag-strip for that matter. Having 2 Camaros might seem weird, but they're so damn good, why not?
Zone5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:33 AM   #41
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone5 View Post
My questions would be, how does the BRZ compare to a SS 1LE in price, and if you get the SS 1LE, can they still be had with a manual transmission? If the price is comparable, I'm guessing the SS 1LE would destroy it on the road-course, and drag-strip for that matter. Having 2 Camaros might seem weird, but they're so damn good, why not?

The BRZ is going to be at least 10K cheaper, which is significant. The BRZ would lose on a road course and a dragstrip, obviously. But that's not the point of the car. It's a lightweight RWD sports car build for carving mountain/back roads for a very affordable price.

It will be significantly cheaper to run and own versus an SS 1LE as well. Cheaper tires, cheaper brakes, cheaper gas, probably cheaper insurance too. You can wring it out on the street without getting into trouble (i.e. speeding) very quickly, like you will with an SS.

If I already had a high powered Camaro, I would total consider a BRZ for a change of pace and driving dynamics.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:13 PM   #42
10mm
Account Suspended

Drives: My wife nuts...
Savage Geese recently did a great review.
Cool car but it lacks the following:

No Brembo's
Lame ass piped in engine sound
Buzzy engine when reved to redline
The tq is much more linear and sooner.
I do like 86 better.
10mm is offline   Reply With Quote