Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-26-2021, 05:50 PM   #15
Sweptwing

Drives: 2017 2LT RS V6 M/T
TPMS Relearn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
This is a simple topic, but I recently had quite the headache getting two new TPMS sensors to learn to my car. Through some quick searching, I noted a lot of confusion and trouble from people in the past on this topic. So, with that, if figured to make this quick DIY post to hopefully help someone out and keep them from tossing potentially good TPMS sensors.

Background of my issue:
I recently bought two new, different width wheels to change up my setup. I like to keep TPMS operational, if I can, in my car, it being a SS 1LE with PDR. I purchased two, new GM/AC Delco TPMS from the same place I've purchased others. Same part number as I've purchased before and verified the correct parts before installation.

Once I had everything put together, tires and TPMS onto the wheels, I attempted to learn the new sensors to my car (the other two wheels on the car had known working sensors). The two new wheels were on the front of the car, the other two were on the rear. Attempting the relearn for nearly 30 minutes, time after time, I could not get the front wheel TPMS to learn. I tried doing the rear wheels, first, out of order, and I could get them to learn; however, they were, for whatever reason, proving more difficult than what I could remember. I had never had this much of an issue learning TPMS to a car!

So, I tried, in the mindset of process of elimination of issues, and toward the possibility of the car or my TPMS tool (EL-50448 equivalent) being the cause, to relearn my OEM wheels that I had just taken off the car. The OEM wheels/TPMS relearned, no problem, even being stacked at the other side of the garage. The problem couldn't be the tool or an issue with the car.

I began to believe the new sensors that I got were bad, but I had a very hard time settling on the fact that two, brand new sensors were both bad. Possibly, but these were brand-new, OE, Schrader TPMS.

Taking a step back, and thinking about the system, how it works and how the components work:
  1. 1. Typically, TPMS sensors will go into a "sleep mode" if they do not seem to be in use in order to save battery life. A brand-new TPMS will definitely be in a "sleep mode".
  2. 2. The TPMS system works by communication between the TPMS and the RCDLR module and that module to the BCM. There is a sending, receiving, sending, receiving.... and so on that goes on back-and-forth. Half of that communication is via the air - between the TPMS and RCDLR module.
  3. 3. In order to learn a TPMS, the vehicle must be in some sort of "learn mode".

In respect to "1.", the TPMS tool, the EL-50448, is supposed to wake up ("ping") a TPMS and make it start sending transmissions out to the RCDLR module so that the sensor can be picked up and recognized.

In respect to "2.", it is possible to have the TPMS positioned, in respect to the vehicle, such that the TPMS signal is not able to be picked up or picked up easily, in that the signal must travel over the air.

In respect to "3", you will know you are in "learn mode" with the Camaro as there is a specific sequence of horn beeps, turn signal illumination/flashing and a visible message in the message center (DIC).

If "1", "2" or "3" is not occurring correctly, you will not be able to learn a TPMS. For "3", it is pretty evident - you will be able to tell if the vehicle is in "learn mode" or not. But for "1" and "2", there is no easy way to tell for most people. My suspicion was that my issue, most likely, was in "1" or "2" and, if anything, at least one of my new sensors was good, and very likely both were good.

Result
Cutting to the chase, both new sensors were good; however I had to do some messing around to get them to wake up and learn. It took a combination of valve stem/TPMS positioning on the vehicle, letting air out, using the TPMS tool and re-trying the learn procedure a handful of times.

6th Gen Camaro TPMS Learn/Relearn
Required Tools
-TPMS tool: the EL-50448 (learn tool) is the cheapest and most available, but an EL-46079 (learn/diagnostic tool) also works.
Potentially Required Tools
-Jack
-Tire pressure gauge
-Air pump/compressor/air tank

Camaro TPMS Info
-XL7 = 315 MHz
  • Rubber stem: PN 84413363, 12 in-lb screw [??? application]
  • Metal stem: PN 13598786, 80 in-lb nut [??? application]
-XL8 = 433 mHz
  • Rubber Stem: PN 13598773, 12 in-lb screw [most LS, LT]
  • Metal Stem: PN 13598787, 80 in-lb nut [LT1, SS, ZL1, 1LE-variants]

Procedure
  1. 1. Check the position of the wheel TPMS/valve stems relative position and position to relative to the vehicle. I suggest starting: (view from looking at the wheel) LF @ 4-to-5-o'clock, LR @ 4-to-5-o'clock, RF @ 4-to-5-o'clock, RR @ 7-to-8-o'clock. Other positions may work for you. The point is to position the TPMS/valve stem in a manner that is easiest for the TPMS signal to transmit to the car (RCDLR module), providing the least amount of possible blocking of the signal and to make it easiest for you to point your TPMS at.
  2. 2. Turn on and start the car.
  3. 3. Navigate, in the DIC (driver information center), to the TPMS display. The car must be running to get to the DIC and navigate to any screens. Once at the TPMS display, press and hold the steering wheel "Select" button down until the DIC displays a message indicating TPMS "learn mode". The horn should beep once, as well.
  4. 4. The sequence you will be directed to follow, to learn each TPMS, is LF->RF->RR->LR. You can visually verify which wheel you need to be at by looking at the corner of the vehicle's turn signal - it should be solidly illuminated, indicating the wheel position that requires learning. You will receive a horn beep from the car when it acknowledges the particular wheels TPMS. The car will then illuminate the next positions turn signal. Note that you have approximately 2 minutes to learn a TPMS to a specific corner of the car before the TPMS learning will time out.
  5. 5. To learn a TPMS, place the TPMS learn tool antenna on the tire sidewall, as near to the tire bead/tire-to-wheel split as possible. You may need to either point the TPMS tool antenna in, toward where there TPMS would be (the actual sensor part) or with the antenna point upwards (yes, UP, toward the sky, but against the tire sidewall). You may need to repeat the TPMS learning, all together, if you can't complete the TPMS relearn on a particular wheel, and play with TPMS/valve stem position - the best positions seems to be 3-to-5-o'clock or 7-to-9-o'clock.
    For a brand new sensor, it seems that "waking up" the sensor can be a little temperamental. You may need to release air [fairly rapidly] while attempting TPMS learning with the tool. The TPMS may not learn at the attempt and may require a fresh, normal TPMS learn, starting from the beginning.*
  6. 6. Once you complete the LR TPMS learn, you will get a single horn beep, as with all the other three wheel position, but then there will be a short pause, followed by a double-beep, which will confirm the TPMS learn was completed for all four wheels and accepted.

*For the two, new front TPMS, my RF simply require the TPMS position to be at the 7-to-8-o'clock position. My LF required the TPMS to be positioned at 4-to-5-o'clock (it would not work at 7-to-8-o'clock) and me to attempt TPMS learning, while letting out air and activating the TPMS tool. I did not get the TPMS to directly activate, I had to re-start the entire TPMS learning and the TPMS was learned right away. My LF, RF and RR TPMS would learn with the TPMS tool antenna pointed at/toward the TPMS sensor, where my LR TPMS seemed to like the TPMS antenna point UP.

Picture 1 is LF TPMS position.
Picture 2 is RF TPMS position.
Picture 3 is RR TPMS position.
Picture 4 is LR TPMS position and the two ways to point the TPMS tool.
It’s has been my experience that the tool itself #EL 50448 must be held with the antenna parallel to the valve stem and outside the wheel diameter.
In both of your photos the antenna is in the right area but not parallel with the valve stem. Hope this helps!
Old 11-26-2021, 09:41 PM   #16
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweptwing View Post
It’s has been my experience that the tool itself #EL 50448 must be held with the antenna parallel to the valve stem and outside the wheel diameter.
In both of your photos the antenna is in the right area but not parallel with the valve stem. Hope this helps!
I second that. After trying several orientations, my tool (see here) only registers the TPMS when its stubby antenna is held parallel with the valve stem. Held correctly, however, it is quick and 100% reliable.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:38 PM   #17
SS_AL

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS l4 turbo
Has anyone seen the you tube video of doing the TPMS setup without the Scanner? All the guy does is get the car into the "learn" mode, then starts at the drivers side front tire, letting air out of the tire until the dashboard light comes on, (about 25 lbs.), and the car automatically beeps, then does the rest of the wheels clockwise, until he gets the two final beeps on the rear drivers side tire.....Just wondering if really works
SS_AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:49 PM   #18
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_AL View Post
Has anyone seen the you tube video of doing the TPMS setup without the Scanner? All the guy does is get the car into the "learn" mode, then starts at the drivers side front tire, letting air out of the tire until the dashboard light comes on, (about 25 lbs.), and the car automatically beeps, then does the rest of the wheels clockwise, until he gets the two final beeps on the rear drivers side tire.....Just wondering if really works
Even if it does, there's a time limit for each corner and another one for the whole prodecure. The price of the tool I have is less than $15, at that low cost I'd rather do it the right way instead of messing with pressures, but that's just me.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 02:53 PM   #19
Sweptwing

Drives: 2017 2LT RS V6 M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Even if it does, there's a time limit for each corner and another one for the whole prodecure. The price of the tool I have is less than $15, at that low cost I'd rather do it the right way instead of messing with pressures, but that's just me.
+1
Old 11-27-2021, 11:24 PM   #20
SS_AL

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS l4 turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Yeah you've got a point..
SS_AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 04:53 PM   #21
Thestormoverkrynn

Drives: Camaro Zl1
for the record!

For the record, and for whatever stupid reason!!! There are 2 tpms screens, one under performance and one under settings... pls use the 1 under settings when trying to program the tpms! The one under performance u can hold the button till your blue in the face nothing will happen!

andrew
Thestormoverkrynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 12:07 AM   #22
R8R1LE

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2SS 1LE Manual
$5 tool worked great!

Just finished this process on my '23 ILE. Finally mounted my runflats on 19x10s. literally took less than 2 minutes. You don't technically have to start the engine, just get the care in run mode (hold the start button down for awhile, always seems to take 2 attempts?)

Held the antennae parallel to the stem, took about 2 seconds for each one to honk the horn.
R8R1LE is offline   Reply With Quote