#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-01-2021, 03:11 PM   #15
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackpack View Post
The car is stock with a track alignment of ~-2.8 camber up front and zero toe with ~-1.6 camber out back with a slight amount of toe in. The tires are Michelin S8M slicks (soft compound). Top speed was only 126 MPH. Check out how the inside of the fronts wore down. The tire wear was essentially even on Brainerd and Topeka and twice the number of sessions produced less overall wear?

It was a cold day and the tire pressure only rose ~4 psi. This tells me that I wasn't able to get them hot enough. The other thing to consider is the wear caused by the downforce at the bottom of the hills. This was enough to make me hold my breath and maybe enough to cause heavier wear. The track surface was excellent as is expected.
after watching the video and before I saw your Post, I was thinking that course is going to eat tires.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:02 AM   #16
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
So...any more personal experiences that anyone would like to share about this track?

I live roughly 45 minutes from this track. When I heard back in 2020 or 2021 that this track was going to be built I was shocked. I never thought there would be actual raceway like this built anywhere near me here in mid-Missouri.

Honestly, driving it would be a dream I'm sure (and I'd probably also be sick from nervous tension lol ) but I'm also a complete track newb with a basically stock 2016 Camaro SS. I'm not sure hitting up a track like this on stock tires (and not to mention I swapped out my brake pads for ones that don't dust as bad as the stock pads do) is a great idea and I'm not keen on buying track only tires and brakes for something I might do once. Then again if I do it once, good chance I may do it again.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:22 AM   #17
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
It's too bad elevation never comes through well on video, this track already looks wild on video, I can't imagine how much more intense it is in person. Road Atlanta is similar, it looks somewhat tame on video but the elevation makes the experience like your own personal roller coaster.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 05:33 PM   #18
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
So...any more personal experiences that anyone would like to share about this track?

I live roughly 45 minutes from this track. When I heard back in 2020 or 2021 that this track was going to be built I was shocked. I never thought there would be actual raceway like this built anywhere near me here in mid-Missouri.

Honestly, driving it would be a dream I'm sure (and I'd probably also be sick from nervous tension lol ) but I'm also a complete track newb with a basically stock 2016 Camaro SS. I'm not sure hitting up a track like this on stock tires (and not to mention I swapped out my brake pads for ones that don't dust as bad as the stock pads do) is a great idea and I'm not keen on buying track only tires and brakes for something I might do once. Then again if I do it once, good chance I may do it again.
If your tires are at least summer ones, I'm sure you will be fine. During your first HPDE, there's a lot to get used to (communicating with instructor, watching flag stations, keeping track of where the other cars are around you, learning the racing line, proper use of the pedals and taking corners) so you won't likely need to worry about hitting max cornering Gs.

Brake pads are another matter however. Each track places a differing degree of stress on brake system depending on how many heavy braking zones there are (heat build up) and how long the straights are (brake cooling). Not sure how hard Ozarks is on brakes, but hilly tracks with downhill brake zones definitely adds stress. Check the operting temp specs on your low dust pads, as I'd suspect they are likely designed for lower temp street driving and may fade at track temps. Also, you'll need to swap your brake fluid for a Dot4. Motul 600 will be fine for 1 HPDE weekend, Castrol SRF if you want to do a whole season of HPDE without worrying about having to change the fluid.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:11 PM   #19
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:

In addition to what Camarolina wrote, I have a few thoughts. I haven't been to this track yet, so my impressions are based on what I've seen from videos of it, the track map, and impressions of a couple people who have driven it already.

First, it's not a good first track...or second...or probably third. Frankly, it looks scary to me, with lots of blind portions (partly due to elevation) and some pretty unforgiving boundaries. A friend of mine - a fairly new person to track events himself - already crashed there. For a first track event, I would start somewhere with a much simpler layout and better sightlines. Honestly, World Wide Technology Raceway (formerly Gateway) is a pretty good starting point. The infield is generally all 3rd gear in our cars and there's really only one anxiety-provoking turn (Turn 1/2 coming off the banking). I've never been to Heartland Park in Topeka, but it might be another option. WWTR is closer, though.

My other thought is that I would start off with some autocross work if you haven't done that before. It is a safer, cheaper, and less anxious way to build experience pushing to and beyond the limits of the car and getting a feel for car control. It seems like not much seat time, but each run packs a ton of experience into it. And you won't even need to better brake pads. You might consider enrolling in the Evolution School in Salina in April. You get a lot of seat time and great instruction for autocross skills over three days. After you do that and build some skills, a track won't seem so intimidating. I will also shamelessly plug the St. Louis Region's SCCA autocross events (we have a Novice School day on our calendar this year as well), as well as our PDE track day programs (on Tuesdays). The Neosho Region may also be holding autocross events again, and it might be closer to you. I'm not sure.

I want to reinforce what Camarolina wrote about brakes for a track day. It's important. I don't know of any low-dust pad that's good for track use (except carbon ceramic setups). Maybe your stock pads would tolerate an HPDE if you saved them and they have good material left. If not, you'd want to buy some. And do the fluid flush. Luckily, pads aren't hard to swap out for a track weekend, and then swap back for street use.
Old 01-27-2023, 06:40 PM   #20
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
In addition to what Camarolina wrote, I have a few thoughts. I haven't been to this track yet, so my impressions are based on what I've seen from videos of it, the track map, and impressions of a couple people who have driven it already.

First, it's not a good first track...or second...or probably third. Frankly, it looks scary to me, with lots of blind portions (partly due to elevation) and some pretty unforgiving boundaries. A friend of mine - a fairly new person to track events himself - already crashed there. For a first track event, I would start somewhere with a much simpler layout and better sightlines. Honestly, World Wide Technology Raceway (formerly Gateway) is a pretty good starting point. The infield is generally all 3rd gear in our cars and there's really only one anxiety-provoking turn (Turn 1/2 coming off the banking). I've never been to Heartland Park in Topeka, but it might be another option. WWTR is closer, though.

My other thought is that I would start off with some autocross work if you haven't done that before. It is a safer, cheaper, and less anxious way to build experience pushing to and beyond the limits of the car and getting a feel for car control. It seems like not much seat time, but each run packs a ton of experience into it. And you won't even need to better brake pads. You might consider enrolling in the Evolution School in Salina in April. You get a lot of seat time and great instruction for autocross skills over three days. After you do that and build some skills, a track won't seem so intimidating. I will also shamelessly plug the St. Louis Region's SCCA autocross events (we have a Novice School day on our calendar this year as well), as well as our PDE track day programs (on Tuesdays). The Neosho Region may also be holding autocross events again, and it might be closer to you. I'm not sure.

I want to reinforce what Camarolina wrote about brakes for a track day. It's important. I don't know of any low-dust pad that's good for track use (except carbon ceramic setups). Maybe your stock pads would tolerate an HPDE if you saved them and they have good material left. If not, you'd want to buy some. And do the fluid flush. Luckily, pads aren't hard to swap out for a track weekend, and then swap back for street use.
This track is not beginning friendly in any shape way or form. I had other drivers and instructor's commenting that I couldn't have picked a worst track for my first time. Needless to say I haven't been back since.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:34 AM   #21
SDF62

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Just adding to the discussion....I have participated in multiple events at OIR. I have quite a bit of track time over my lifetime, in various classes of cars and my thoughts on this track are the following.....the first time I attended an event there it was rather intimidating. The facility is first class, the track is fast and very technical. It is a track that allows a driver to get in a rhythm. The track does garner a lot of respect as there isn't a lot of room for error. My opinion is that if a driver knows and is honest about his/her abilities, then this track is ok for new drivers. Many of the HPDE groups have instructors there and that option should be utilized. If a new driver thinks there are trophies to be won at the end of the day then this track will bite hard. I really enjoy the track and the challenges it provides.
I run a highly modified Camaro SS with Katech power and my car really likes the track. I have not noticed any extreme brake or tire wear there. I do agree with everyone regarding brake pads and fluid. Low dust pads not made for performance driving are definitely a no go there.
I recommend this facility to anyone, it truly is a fantastic facility. Just take your time getting up to speed. Drive within your abilities. Stay safe and enjoy....
SDF62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 03:18 PM   #22
Trackpack

Drives: 1LE
I went back in October of 2022. One car kissed a wall on day one and two cars had wall contact leading to airbag deployments on the second day in the rain. My son is an intermediate driver in a ~460hp Golf R. I had a good level of uneasiness when he went out on track but his instructor was excellent.

The owner moved the wall back a good amount at turn one (downhill and off camber). This was due to feedback. The change inspires more confidence.

My best lap is now 2:41. My Camaro is an M6 and was noticeably slower than the A10 ZLEs.
https://youtu.be/Dx7zr0S7tjM

This is a good partial session recording. I'm still faster following others. The track is fun at 8/10ths and a bit tense at 9/10ths.
https://youtu.be/vpIYPGcb_BE
Trackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 03:36 PM   #23
N Camarolina

Thanks for the vids.

Looks both fun (roller coasters) and intimidating. So many blind corners and peaks of hills. You really need to know the track and the line, but there's a lot of corners to learn.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:13 PM   #24
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:

Quote:
I went back in October of 2022. One car kissed a wall on day one and two cars had wall contact leading to airbag deployments on the second day in the rain. My son is an intermediate driver in a ~460hp Golf R. I had a good level of uneasiness when he went out on track but his instructor was excellent.

The owner moved the wall back a good amount at turn one (downhill and off camber). This was due to feedback. The change inspires more confidence.

My best lap is now 2:41. My Camaro is an M6 and was noticeably slower than the A10 ZLEs.
https://youtu.be/Dx7zr0S7tjM

This is a good partial session recording. I'm still faster following others. The track is fun at 8/10ths and a bit tense at 9/10ths.
https://youtu.be/vpIYPGcb_BE
Nice work, and the track reminds me a lot of Nurburgring Nordschleife.

I think the key here is to work your way up in speed slowly, and take it section by section till you build confidence corner by corner. This looks like a technical track and you have to be very aware of your line not to overrun corners, or waist perspicuous 10ths.

Nothing wrong with this being a learning course for someone new to HPDE. Getting the basics down will be very rewarding here, and other places might look easy once this track is well known.

It's just so dang far from me, otherwise I'd visit.

P.S. I learned on fairly flat and wide open MI/OH tracks. But a few years later I had a chance to chase lap times on the 'Ring, and all the lessons still applied.

5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:18 PM   #25
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
...and two cars had wall contact leading to airbag deployments on the second day in the rain.
Yep, of those two, the white FRS was my friend.

PS - Those are great videos to study for someone who wants to bring a Camaro out there. Maybe one of these days...

Last edited by Msquared; 01-28-2023 at 10:29 PM.
Msquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:59 AM   #26
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Thanks guys. I do appreciate the feedback, and it just reinforces what I already figured was the case. Sounds like this track is not the place I'd want to start at...or at least maybe not for an HPDE. Their website does say they will eventually offer "Pace car" events where you can follow the leader around the track. What about something more along those lines?

If I was to go to this track, (if I can keep myself in check) I'd like to just run an easy but fun pace. lol...just driving on the track at all would be fun for me. If I could do that at an HPDE and not get ran over by other faster drivers it would be a good time.

As for my Camaro, at the very least I'd have to swap back to my stock OEM Brembo pads, and swap the brake fluid.

My 2016 SS / A8 has roughly 12,000 miles on it. I switched to the "dustless" Z26 PowerStop pads when the car had a few thousand miles on it and for the street they work OK for me, but I know they are not the best idea for an actual HPD event.

Side question: With this amount of miles on my rotors, can I safely switch back to Brembo or would I have to go with set of track pads/rotors?

My tires are the original summer runflats. I'm assuming I could run them, but with the mileage that is already on them I know that a fresh set of track oriented tires would be so much better.

Another question....would I want to invest in track tape? (paint protection) I've read that a lot of small rock/pebble chips can happen from these events, and tearing up my paint is something I'd like very much to avoid.

I don't know if this sort of thing will ever happen for me, but I like to entertain the idea of it.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:57 PM   #27
SDF62

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
For what you will be doing, if your original tires are in good shape, they will be fine. You are correct that there are better tires out there for more performance oriented driving.
As far as paint protection goes, some have luck with a product called "Track Armour". I have used it before, it works ok, not great. If you track your car a lot, paint chips are going to happen. It's just part of it....
MVP Track Time will be there in July....their novice group is very laid back. Give it a try...instructors are available at no additional cost. Like said before, just understand what your limits are. Everyone has to start somewhere.....
SDF62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:12 PM   #28
N Camarolina

Wherever your first HPDE takes place, I would highly suggest you do it with a group that provides instructors in the car and preferably classroom time. This is especially important at a track like Ozarks that has a lot of blind corners because your instructor can help you in citing the flag status at each flag tower (When you have elevation changes and blind corners, the flag stations are the only way you'll know if the track around the next corner or over the next rise is clear or whether there is an obstruction like a car that's spun out or dropped fluid on the track). They can also show you the driving line and correct your incorrect lines and poor driving habits that otherwise could put you at risk.

You can drive at whatever pace you are comfortable at an HPDE event, but just because you choose to drive slow does not mean that you can drive around the track oblivious to what's happening around you with the other drivers (managing traffic by a giving point-by to faster driver). Otherwise you can be a risk to everyone who's driving on the track with you.

As a novice driver, you are going to have your hands full, and having an in-car instructor takes some of these tasks at least partially off your plate while you get used to things.

MVP Tracktime did not offer enough instructors for all novice drivers when I did one of their events during COVID, so it was less than optimal. And classroom was not really a high priority for them either, so they are better suited to the intermediate/advanced driver. But there are usually plenty of car clubs that hold HPDE track days, and most of them provide instructors and classroom time. And if it's a brand of car club like BMW or Porsche, you don't have to have same brand car in order to participate. You can find events for most tracks at Motorsportreg.