Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 01-11-2023, 06:49 PM   #29
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yea i was going to buy one and a wing a few years ago but didnt think it did much if i did a apr one id have them make me a custom honeycomb one thats thicker
Old 01-11-2023, 09:08 PM   #30
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
It's cosmetic until your 120plus and the splitter rips out. Do it to correctly.
I really don't see how, seeing what I see of it, that it's any different than just running a plastic lip on the bumper that's held on with little screws and 3M tape. My lip is just fine at 140mph, and if APR doesn't design it to get supported by something structural, that should tell you everything you need to know. Either it's useless or APR doesn't have any idea what they're doing ...
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:02 PM   #31
eimarshall

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyperblue
The APR splitter is pretty solid. In order to "properly" mount it with the rods to the crash bar, you'd have to remove and modify the entire plastic and foam bumper support, fabricate a support bracket and get it to fit behind the bumper or feed through the lower opening. That's just for the two rods and you would lose the rest of the bumper support, unless you found a way to modify that too.

I queried MFR about their design and they said it was quite a bit of work to get the bracket in there and at a minimum required cutting up a significant portion of the internal bumper support/bumper itself.

My thought is that its not like the entire force acted on the splitter is put on just those two rods. I'm going to mount it to the lower edge of the bumper(through the 1LE splitter and I'll create a couple of support brackets on the underside to reinforce the existing bumper/1le lip. with 8-10 other points across the entire from edge, it should have enough support. I plan to physically stand on it to test it.

Unfortunately it got moved to 3rd on my priority list since the last component of my suspension swap(DSSVs, BMR, Hotchkiss) showed up and i really need to get the roll bar and race seats in the car. I'm still hoping to get the aero done in the next 2 weeks.
eimarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 04:28 PM   #32
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Most off the shelf aero solutions don't do much. Clearly the APR splitter is 90% cosmetic. Otherwise you wouldn't be bolting it to a plastic bumper. You ever see pictures of people standing on their splitter.... Don't try that with the APR splitter.

You want functional aero you are going to need to pay the money for custom stuff or build it yourself.
Old 01-12-2023, 11:37 PM   #33
eimarshall

I’ll report back once I take the bumper back off. Im open to suggestions. Im not expecting thousands of pounds of downforce. But a hundred certainly wont hurt.
Sure you could take it to a shop and have them sort it out for a few grand, but a diy solution with details offered to others could also save us all some money(to spend on tires, fuel and brake pads) and hopefully keep the mustang guys staring at our tail lights.

Speculation and criticism are only helpful if a solution is also offered.
Old 01-13-2023, 07:33 AM   #34
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by eimarshall View Post
I’ll report back once I take the bumper back off. Im open to suggestions. Im not expecting thousands of pounds of downforce. But a hundred certainly wont hurt.
Sure you could take it to a shop and have them sort it out for a few grand, but a diy solution with details offered to others could also save us all some money(to spend on tires, fuel and brake pads) and hopefully keep the mustang guys staring at our tail lights.

Speculation and criticism are only helpful if a solution is also offered.
I started the process of attempting to build my own splitter / Diffuser. IF i can get it to work i'll post a write up with pics.
Old 02-22-2023, 12:58 PM   #35
eimarshall

Sooo... I actually got the APR splitter out and realized it was way more flimsy than I thought. I'm ditching it and am going to make my own out of plywood for now. If I settle on a design I like, then I'll look into other materials for less weight.

For anyone else's info, both Professional Awesome and AJ Hartman have some great videos on aero/splitter design.
Old 02-23-2023, 06:03 AM   #36
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
This guy went all in
Attached Images

carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 08:52 AM   #37
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I went with APR. Adding a splitter to the car is not easy. What we did since I replaced my 1st gen OEM splitter with the 2nd gen, we contacted APR and they have a splitter that works with the 2nd gen OEM splitter. Its not listed on their website. The only thing we had to trim was in the wheel area. My installer fabbed up some mounts for the support rods which we upgraded to Professional Awesome Splitter Rods, which can flex up if the splitter hits anything. We also had to get additional hardware to make it work and made a gap filler. Set it for a 2* AoA. Are there better ones out there, for sure.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2023, 12:39 PM   #38
eimarshall

Nice! What did you use for mounts further on the underside? And what is your gap filler? I was thinking of making a couple brackets up to the sides of the trans cooler or all the way up to the crash bar. And I found some rubber threshold stripping but it might be too flimsy.

I'm trying to make a set of front wheel well diffusers like that full carbon one as well. mine will be ABS for now though.
Old 02-27-2023, 02:27 PM   #39
ATl_1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
So i'm clearly a few weeks late for this, i had ordered and started working on my apr splitter before seeing this thread.
I ran into every problem mentioned including they gave me zl1 nuts and bolts which aren't long enough for the ss gen1 lip. Even when properly mounted the gap in the center from the lip curved up looks like it would cut any high pressure half if not more. Went and grabbed some plastic trim to help dam up the front some but then the rods only option appear to be bumper and good luck getting to the support behind it.
The front part of the lip might be short enough that the rear bolts and the front rod supports is enough to handle the pressure but i still have to find something secure to attach the rear sides and not seeing many easy options.

Thankfully splitter is only like 550-600 but its obvious you get what you pay for here. Pure cosmetics, will probably toss mine as well being i gotta custom almost everything anyways and if anything goes its taking bumper with it.
ATl_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 02:33 PM   #40
Baddawg53

Honestly, I'm about to cut mine up to see if I can fab a sunroof delete, try to make it not a total loss ... As a splitter, it's useless..
Old 06-27-2023, 10:52 AM   #41
Baddawg53

I found a guy selling his custom splitter, lot of work getting it in there, drilling and cutting. But it looks good and I think it'll have a positive effect.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2023, 11:13 AM   #42
eimarshall

Baddawg53, Nice! looks solid!

I just finished making a couple adjustments to mine. I had to make it fairly easily removable in order to get it on my trailer. Takes about 5 min to get it on/off. I also made some carbon fiber air curtain vent block off plates.

I'm going to add side fences like yours(haven't seen a double fence like that before) and I already have plans for a second iteration with diffuser tunnels.