Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #57
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Ok I've gone and cleaned most of this up... Way too much time has been spent in here.

Knock off both the name calling and the arrogant attitudes... Name calling isn't the only rule being broken in here...

1) Respect & Be Helpful — By far, the most important rule here. Generations of GM enthusiasts have come together through a shared passion for the car and the community, so the golden rule applies: Treat others as you wish to be treated. This means no foul language, insults, or rude remarks towards other members.

2) Agree to disagree — We encourage spirited discussions where members can contribute to the forum, and we understand that not everyone will be in agreement on a particular subject. However, repeated opposing posts with disrespectful intent to ‘win’ a debate will be moderated accordingly.

12) Moderator Discretion — All posting activity on the forums is monitored and subject to disciplinary action based on the discretion of the admins and moderators beyond the rules specifically outlined above in an effort to serve the community at large.

Any further posting of this type by any will result in this thread being closed and infractions being handed out...
I'm confused. Why was my post removed? It was not disrespectful...

I responded respectfully and with a valid counter argument to the original agitator in post 34. But that post remains and mine is gone?

The 1LE has parts from the ZL1 and is the budget track brawler. It is an accomplished budget racer.

The ZL1 is a grand touring power house. Is faster than the 1LE in all areas but can heat soak and is heavy. On the strip it is king besides the COPO.

The Z/28 is the car for track junkies and gives both the 1LE and the ZL1 a whopping on a track day. But it comes at a premium that some can't afford including maintenance costs.

In the end it comes to cost. The guy who would not own an FI car because of heat soak is a track minded person and the Z/28 is the car for him. Unless money is an issue then the 1LE makes perfect sense.

Last edited by 2013 ZL1 #7860; 11-03-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #58
tnspd

Drives: 18 Camaro ZL1 1LE (WILSON)
For me, and I'm a picky and specific SOB, ZL1 over a 1LE every time. Even if both were the same price.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #59
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
Having said that, H-town Camaro club just raced on a track today and we had an excellent 1LE with us. (QuickSilver1LE) What made his 1LE freaking awesome among other things was the SUPERCHARGER that is in it. Truly a badass car.
QuickSilver1LE lost traction and went off the track going into turn one at ~68 mph, I routinely hit turn one going 75 mph. His 1LE has stock suspension (but is supercharged), my only suspension mods are Front/Rear sways & end links. So that right there tells you about the trackability of a ZL1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I know a lot of guys like the pure N/A quality of the 1LE at the road racing track but if you want to go fast the ZL1 is the ticket when you compare the 2 cars. When Car and driver did the lightning lap in late 2012 at VIR they lapped 5 seconds faster with the ZL1 than the 1LE. With team Chevrolet drivers at the wheel the ZL1 is 6 seconds faster at VIR. On a road course that is just plain leaving it in the dust.

At Milford, the official GM track, which is very tight, the ZL1 is still 2 seconds faster than the 1LE. I bought my ZL1 before the Z/28 was officially even a thought but GM had it's hands full trying to make any Camaro faster than the ZL1. I still think the ZL1 is the most well rounded Camaro in the stable. It blows the others away in a straight line and it can hold its own very well in the corners, if you upgrade the tires, there is a lot more speed in a ZL1.

Different people have different reasons for choosing between the different models but if you want to go fast, the ZL1 is going to be faster. All of the time data when the cars run head to head backs this up. Yes the ZL1 gets slower as it gets hot, but I can promise you from first hand lap time, even if the power is being reduced a little after running multiple laps, it still has 100 more horses than the 1LE, and that is a pretty big difference.
Just as Expunge stated, we had a track day this past Saturday. I now have a dash hawk and I'm able to monitor my IAT2 temps. On the straights they would briefly hit 155 degrees (timing is being pulled at around 140) but within a few seconds of coming off the straights my IAT2 temps were consistently in the 120 range. My power mods are 2.55 upper pulley, headers, intake, injectors & tune. My cooling mods are Ron Davis heat exchanger & D3 reservoir. I looked back at my videos from the track and we were running 30+ minute sessions. So I'm not too worried about heat soak anymore.

Here's a quick video from the track day this past weekend. Mid way through the video I get stuck behind a 2013 GT500... so slow..

Old 11-03-2014, 03:31 PM   #60
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I know a lot of guys like the pure N/A quality of the 1LE at the road racing track but if you want to go fast the ZL1 is the ticket when you compare the 2 cars. When Car and driver did the lightning lap in late 2012 at VIR they lapped 5 seconds faster with the ZL1 than the 1LE. With team Chevrolet drivers at the wheel the ZL1 is 6 seconds faster at VIR. On a road course that is just plain leaving it in the dust.

At Milford, the official GM track, which is very tight, the ZL1 is still 2 seconds faster than the 1LE. I bought my ZL1 before the Z/28 was officially even a thought but GM had it's hands full trying to make any Camaro faster than the ZL1. I still think the ZL1 is the most well rounded Camaro in the stable. It blows the others away in a straight line and it can hold its own very well in the corners, if you upgrade the tires, there is a lot more speed in a ZL1.

Different people have different reasons for choosing between the different models but if you want to go fast, the ZL1 is going to be faster. All of the time data when the cars run head to head backs this up. Yes the ZL1 gets slower as it gets hot, but I can promise you from first hand lap time, even if the power is being reduced a little after running multiple laps, it still has 100 more horses than the 1LE, and that is a pretty big difference.
I would hope the ZL1 is faster it has 580hp vs 426hp.

The 1LE shouldn't be down only 2 seconds at Milford with a 154hp disadvantage, but it is. This shows the 1LE chassis setup is better in the handling department. Give a 1LE 500hp at the crank (bolt-ons) and it's right there with a ZL1 on a road course.

Let's see what time that ZL1 is running on the 3rd, 4th, 5th lap.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #61
JackalopeZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Must be all the long straights at milford where the horsepower really shows up via time..

Last edited by JackalopeZL1; 11-03-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #62
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem View Post

The 1LE shouldn't be down only 2 seconds at Milford with a 154hp disadvantage, but it is. This shows the 1LE chassis setup is better in the handling department. Give a 1LE 500hp at the crank (bolt-ons) and it's right there with a ZL1 on a road course.

The ability to run consistent track laps was the ZL1's claim to fame over the GT500. Recall the Motor Trend comparison? ZL1

Quote:
While the Mustang was a half-second faster around the track than the ZL1 on its best lap, it couldn't repeat the performance. By the end of the first lap, the brakes had already begun to heat up so badly, we could smell them from the pits as the car passed by on the front straight. By the end of the second lap, the Shelby had lost more than half of its advantage over the ZL1, turning a 1:39.03. By the third lap, the Mustang was behind the Camaro, turning a 1:39.30. The ZL1, meanwhile, never deviated by more than two-tenths of a second.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...0/viewall.html

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 11-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #63
z28lt1

Drives: 2014 ZL1
EDIT: I see HOTLAPZl1 had the same thoughts as I. I need to type faster...

Quote:

Grasping at straws at this point. Let's add 75 horsepower to one car, let's make up heat soak on the other car and call it even. Does the ZL1 pull some timing when it is hot? Sure. But let's not pretend it is a one lap only car. In case you missed the GT500 vs Zl1 Laguna laps, here is what Motor Trend found on the Zl1 as an exact quote "The ZL1, meanwhile, never deviated by more than two-tenths of a second." That was in the hands of Randy Pobst, pretty sure he was working the car hard.

While you are adding the 75 horsepower to the 1LE, better add some brake upgrades as well. Want to compare multiple laps? You'll need to fix the brake fade that is sometimes reported on these forums.

Again, as I've said in this thread, both are great cars, and I think Chevy is doing an excellent job with multiple options for the track and enthusiast, but people are starting to just about make up stuff to justify their preference.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #64
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
EDIT: I see HOTLAPZl1 had the same thoughts as I. I need to type faster...

Grasping at straws at this point. Let's add 75 horsepower to one car, let's make up heat soak on the other car and call it even. Does the ZL1 pull some timing when it is hot? Sure. But let's not pretend it is a one lap only car. In case you missed the GT500 vs Zl1 Laguna laps, here is what Motor Trend found on the Zl1 as an exact quote "The ZL1, meanwhile, never deviated by more than two-tenths of a second." That was in the hands of Randy Pobst, pretty sure he was working the car hard.

While you are adding the 75 horsepower to the 1LE, better add some brake upgrades as well. Want to compare multiple laps? You'll need to fix the brake fade that is sometimes reported on these forums.

Again, as I've said in this thread, both are great cars, and I think Chevy is doing an excellent job with multiple options for the track and enthusiast, but people are starting to just about make up stuff to justify their preference.
Not grasping at anything. Just a friendly debate. ZL1 guys like to ignore heat soak but it happens no matter how many times you quote a magazine article.

Did you see how close the 1LE was with the Z28 when MT did the tire swap test?

When you add 75 crank hp to a 1LE, keep the weight the same, keep same gears (1st-4th ratios with 3.91 rear), and add better brakes guess what that makes a car similar to the Z28. Which beats the ZL1 by 3 seconds on the short Milford course.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #65
JackalopeZL1

Must have missed that.. so us the same driver laps at milford
With the zl1 and z28.. love watching videos..
Old 11-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #66
z28lt1

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Not grasping at anything. Just a friendly debate. ZL1 guys like to ignore heat soak but it happens no matter how many times you quote a magazine article.

<SNIP>
People quote the magazine article because it is hard evidence that heat soak does not readily effect lap times on a road course on a stock car. There is no evidence it does. Not sure how else anyone would take that. You can read tons of posts here in this very forum that there is plenty of heat soak issues drag racing. Also beyond drag racing with modified cars (particularly those running more boost than stock). Don't think I've seen a post where anyone with a stock car has had worsening road course lap times in the standard 20-30 minutes sessions. With the car stock and moving, it just isn't a relevant issue (judging from the posts on this forum and the magazine articles, all I have to go on). Judging from the tables, we think the car will pull some timing, at track temps, but doesn't seem to be a relevant amount to impact lap times. I'll be logging the timing in the spring when I'm back at the track, and will report back.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #67
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
This thread is bordering on absurd.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #68
JackalopeZL1

Bordering?
Old 11-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #69
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:

Did you see how close the 1LE was with the Z28 when MT did the tire swap test?

When you add 75 crank hp to a 1LE, keep the weight the same, keep same gears (1st-4th ratios with 3.91 rear), and add better brakes guess what that makes a car similar to the Z28. Which beats the ZL1 by 3 seconds on the short Milford course.
and Wile E Coyote hoped that with rocket skates he could catch the Roadrunner.

The 1LE is a fine auto but it is not a Z/28... or a ZL1
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 11-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #70
rdrfronty

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE CRUSH
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
What i meant by cost of tires was that 1le runs a square set so they can be rotated. My zl1 was eating 2 sets of rears to one set of fronts every year. My zl1 averaged 12 mpg while 1le 17mpg avg. To the guy who said his insurance is the same for zl as ss then you better hope u dont wreck it, 60k same to insure as 40k car not with my experience. If you had driven a 1le you would know the suspension is way stiffer than a zl1 in mode 5 also
Not a biggie here, but the tires in the 1LE cannot be rotated. Same 285"s front & back. But we have 10" wheels up front and 11" wheels in the back. Thus a no go on rotating.
Kong Ported Supercharger, Nick Williams 103mm Throttle Body, Roto-fab Big Gulp CAI, Kooks 2" LT Headers, AWE 3" Touring Exhaust, Cordes Expansion Tank, Mighty Mouse Catch Can, MS Tuning -- 661whp & 684ftlbs

Closed Thread