#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-24-2020, 11:56 AM   #1
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
Best way to launch from a dig?

Recently I've been going to more and more car meets to have a bit of fun with my ZL1. I've learned from roll racing that I have the best results throwing the car into manual, holding left paddle to the lowest allowed gear, then slamming it back into auto when gunning it.

Now I want to learn how to launch from a dig better. The other night when doing digs I had my first experience with line lock and launch control. As a rather noob driver, line lock is incredibly nice. Few questions:

1. How do you drive off after burning out? I see people smoke the tires then drive off a bit after. Would cancelling the line lock with the cruise control/select button allow you to move off after? Is there a point to this or is it for show? Is burning out in place then moving up a couple feet after enough?

2. What is the best PTM setting for launch control? I was using sport 1, but I feel like I didn't get a full launch with it. I heard sport 2 and race take off more of the nannies, but I don't want to look like a mustang driver and go off into a ditch or crowd if I lose control. Though the car feels fairly planted.

3. What launch settings do you use? I just used the default settings, but I noticed you can play around with it. I'd like to launch at a higher rpm, but I assume you'd need to be confident in your tires grip.

4. Which leads to my final question. Are the factory goodyears sufficient? I noticed after a lengthy burnout they were pretty sticky. I've never seen so much crap stuck to them. I've been told the only tires really worth looking into for daily use (spirited driving, roll racing, digs) are the factory, PS4S, and R888R. I've also heard the Goodyears are very good when hot. I don't want drag radials or anything like that.

Any answers or tips are greatly appreciated. This car has brought a lot of joy to my life and I want to make sure I'm using it to its full ability.
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
ReevZL1

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 A10
The best way to launch is leave it in auto, turn all the nannies off, make sure your in Touring mode for best weight transfer, foot brake and hold at 2,000rpms. I’ve run 1.5s 60’ this way and high 9s in the 1/4 mile.

Factory Goodyear tires are not sufficient. I did 2 line lock tests and they were bald. also when you air down your tires below like 20psi the line lock does not work. I start my burn out with the foot brake and gas then roll forward releasing the foot brake. I personally only use Mickey Thompson ET street Rs which work great for dig and roll racing which is what you are talking about. Factory tires work better for corners as well as R888Rs. I heard the Nitto NT05Rs are good as well. For your roll racing you can also stab the throttle once and the car will go into performance shift mode. So the car will down shift and hold at higher RPM for a little bit. You can keep it in performance shift mode by using the throttle.

If you are scared to look like a mustang driver then you need more time driving your car with all the nannies off. Practice on a flat wide open safe place with no one around. Learn how your car handles. This is very important to learn as well as throttle control.

Last edited by ReevZL1; 07-24-2020 at 02:33 PM.
ReevZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:38 PM   #3
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReevZL1 View Post
The best way to launch is leave it in auto, turn all the nannies off, make sure your in Touring mode for best weight transfer, foot brake and hold at 2,000rpms. I’ve run 1.5s 60’ this way and high 9s in the 1/4 mile.
So no launch control? Is it even possible to turn off all nannies in touring? I thought only race in PTM mode allowed that.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
gotswap

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Crush
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGofast View Post
So no launch control? Is it even possible to turn off all nannies in touring? I thought only race in PTM mode allowed that.
If you do this with stock tires, you better be prepared to keep yourself out of the ditch

All besides the 2650 is bone stock down to the air filter.
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:48 PM   #5
gotswap

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Crush
Also, set your suspension to touring mode in your setting

All besides the 2650 is bone stock down to the air filter.
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #6
ReevZL1

Quote:
You can turn all the nannies off by holding down the off button for 10 seconds. Yes you can retain Touring mode. I don’t recommend turning off all the nannies unless you are in an flat, open safe place. You must really know your car well.

All the Nannies are never really turned completely off until you hold the off button for 10seconds. They are there for good reason.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:45 PM   #7
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Quote:
You can turn all the nannies off by holding down the off button for 10 seconds. Yes you can retain Touring mode. I don’t recommend turning off all the nannies unless you are in an flat, open safe place. You must really know your car well.

All the Nannies are never really turned completely off until you hold the off button for 10seconds. They are there for good reason.
Is this better than launch control just because of the weight transfer? Does launch control do nothing else to make it more worthwhile?
Old 07-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #8
ReevZL1

Quote:
Is this better than launch control just because of the weight transfer? Does launch control do nothing else to make it more worthwhile?
Yes it’s better than launch control. My times have proven to me it’s better. Also it helps a lot to have your trans shift points tuned.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:44 PM   #9
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Quote:
Yes it’s better than launch control. My times have proven to me it’s better. Also it helps a lot to have your trans shift points tuned.
So you power brake instead of using the line lock? I’m trying to get this down. I had my car modded again in February and only did one crappy pass with no burnout bc the line lock disengaged. On the second pass I broke the right rear axle. Axles have been replaced with GForce axles now and I’m ready to go back in the next month or so.

So set suspension to touring?
Turn off all nannies (holding button for 10 seconds)?
Burnout using foot brake for 3-5 seconds and then roll forward?
Launch at whatever RPM using foot brake?

Any of this sound about right?

For regency my car is port stock SC, cam, and meth. Makes 780whp and 803wtq.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:59 PM   #10
ReevZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
So you power brake instead of using the line lock? I’m trying to get this down. I had my car modded again in February and only did one crappy pass with no burnout bc the line lock disengaged. On the second pass I broke the right rear axle. Axles have been replaced with GForce axles now and I’m ready to go back in the next month or so.

So set suspension to touring?
Turn off all nannies (holding button for 10 seconds)?
Burnout using foot brake for 3-5 seconds and then roll forward?
Launch at whatever RPM using foot brake?

Any of this sound about right?

For regency my car is port stock SC, cam, and meth. Makes 780whp and 803wtq.
Yes that’s correct.

When I do my burnout I wait till I see a decent amount of smoke then roll forward. I recommend doing the Solid Bushings for your rear cradle. This will prevent wheel hop. I just picked my car up from the Shop yesterday which they installed the 1LE Solid Bushings from Chevrolet performance. I’ve done this on 2 6th Gen ZL1s trust me it’s worth it.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:39 PM   #11
ReevZL1

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDC_T47J...=1jtakffb5u57t
Here’s a clip of me heating up the tires at the Drag strip.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:47 PM   #12
ReevZL1

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDDA3Uip...d=exv4metyiqrx

Here’s another example.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:43 PM   #13
Cake's Z

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I agree, I have run multiple 1/4 miles at 11.4 (onboard monitor) using the above procedure. This was even on factory tires, no burnout, bad road. Launch control has the cool factor an im sure would work great in non ideal conditions.
2015 TRD Tundra (traded)
2014 Subaru WRX (traded)
2000 Z28 (sold)
1970 GMC 1500 (stolen)
2017 YXZ1000 (sold)
Cake's Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:27 PM   #14
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Quote:
Yes that’s correct.

When I do my burnout I wait till I see a decent amount of smoke then roll forward. I recommend doing the Solid Bushings for your rear cradle. This will prevent wheel hop. I just picked my car up from the Shop yesterday which they installed the 1LE Solid Bushings from Chevrolet performance. I’ve done this on 2 6th Gen ZL1s trust me it’s worth it.
Any other suggestions?

I was looking into a new drive shaft but wonder if there are other things to do first? Car makes plenty of power and the trans has been tuned as well. Would any suspension work be a good idea?
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote