Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-23-2020, 08:38 PM   #1
chevybill

Drives: 1994 z-28, 2017 2ss 6spd
Sams club engine oil.

Has anyone used Sam's brand engine oil? They have full synthetic that is dexos 2 approved in 5 w 30 and 0 w 20.
It's substantially more affordable than the mobil one. The sams oil was 16 dollars for 6 quarts.
Thought and opinions?
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:55 PM   #2
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
so you know your 6.2L takes 10qts. its the same bottom bidder oil that comes in a AC Delco bottle.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:56 PM   #3
Dark Phoenix

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS Redline
If it was for your beater car I’d say sure but do you really want to cheap out on your Camaro? IMO it’s basically Walmart brand, and I’m sure it’s a case of you get what you pay for.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:03 PM   #4
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
As long as it meets the standard (Dexos2) you are good. The extra cost is for the name brand (i.e. advertising and profits).
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:06 PM   #5
JCunningham

if its dexos2 labeled its better than walmart supertech. supertech is recycled or at leased it used to be. Its the same oil your dealer would put in if you dont request Mobile1.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 02-23-2020, 10:00 PM   #6
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
if its dexos2 labeled its better than walmart supertech. supertech is recycled or at leased it used to be. Its the same oil your dealer would put in if you dont request Mobile1.
As long as it meets the certification it shouldn't matter, right?
I mean, there is no magic "synthetic oil well" in the middle of Texas pumping virgin, ready-to-rock, motor oil for our cars.

Conventional oil out of the ground has to be refined, cleaned and modified to meet the API spec, right?

Why can't used oil be re-refined, cleaned and have the additive package blended in to meet API spec?
Old 02-23-2020, 10:11 PM   #7
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
$2.67 a quart for synthetic oil? Lmfao what are you hoping for? Buy it and send a sample to blackstone when you do a follow up oil change. Im willing to bet the additive package is nearly non-existent. They dont just charge 10 bucks a quart out of pure greed. You can get 5 quart jugs of mobil 1 at walmart 5w-30 for pretty cheap. You shouldnt be using 0w-20 though....
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:25 PM   #8
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares05050 View Post
$2.67 a quart for synthetic oil? Lmfao what are you hoping for? Buy it and send a sample to blackstone when you do a follow up oil change. Im willing to bet the additive package is nearly non-existent. They dont just charge 10 bucks a quart out of pure greed. You can get 5 quart jugs of mobil 1 at walmart 5w-30 for pretty cheap. You shouldnt be using 0w-20 though....
That's like saying a $9.00 beer or an $8.00 hot dog at a football game is better than the stuff at the grocery store because you paid more....

If GM says the standard is Dexos2 and the oil meets that minimum it will be fine in your car.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:27 PM   #9
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybill View Post
Has anyone used Sam's brand engine oil? They have full synthetic that is dexos 2 approved in 5 w 30 and 0 w 20.
It's substantially more affordable than the mobil one. The sams oil was 16 dollars for 6 quarts.
Thought and opinions?
Here is my thought, you have a 2017 2SS, you probably paid at LEAST $40k for it (if you bought it brand new), is oil something you REALLY want to save a few bucks on??? I do all my work myself and buy the best of everything I can for my car... I don't want to kill my "investment" cheaping out after the fact... If you can't afford "good" oil, you probably can't afford the car.[/RANT]

Sorry, but my 2020 2SS is the most expensive car I've ever bought and I waited until I could do it right, without compromise... I wasn't going to spend $50k on a car to have it trashed by some minimum wage greasy haired kid at the Quik-Lube putting in some random oil from an unmarked barrel and hope my $18,500 engine will be ok...

The ONLY engine (in my 35+ years of car ownership) that I have EVER had an oil (burn) issue with was my wife's 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan (which I bought brand new) and got lazy and started taking to Jiffy-Lube... After about 4-5 oil changes there the van started going through an entire quart of oil every 600-700 MILES!!!... I have NEVER had to add even a SINGLE quart of oil to ANY of my cars between 3,000 mile oil changes! (I've owned the following model year cars that I NEVER had to add oil to between oil changes BUT I did all of my own oil changes) 1980 (V8), 1983 (V8), 1987 (V8), 1991 (I4), 1995 (V6), 2007 (V6), 2012 (I4), 2016 (I4), 2019 (I4))

DO NOT go to a "Quik-Lube" place with anything but your beater car...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:32 PM   #10
JCunningham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
As long as it meets the certification it shouldn't matter, right?
I mean, there is no magic "synthetic oil well" in the middle of Texas pumping virgin, ready-to-rock, motor oil for our cars.
Conventional oil out of the ground has to be refined, cleaned and modified to meet the API spec, right?

Why can't used oil be re-refined, cleaned and have the additive package blended in to meet API spec?
yep
synthetic is man made not crude.
yes
because the molecules are damaged. It wont meet dexos2 spec.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:36 PM   #11
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
DO NOT go to a "Quik-Lube" place with anything but your beater car...
THIS!

I don't know how many different ones I've taken my Silverado to that do not grease the front end. Even when I've called them on it, I've heard "there is no way to grease it. It has a sealed front end." That is until I tell them exactly how many fittings there are and what joint they are located at. Then they remember and pull it back in to finish.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:39 PM   #12
JCunningham

what year Silverado do you have? i dont remember my 2000 Sierra having any. i might be wrong but my 2007 2012 and 2017s dont have any.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:47 PM   #13
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
That's like saying a $9.00 beer or an $8.00 hot dog at a football game is better than the stuff at the grocery store because you paid more....

If GM says the standard is Dexos2 and the oil meets that minimum it will be fine in your car.
I NEVER said more expensive means it is better. I just said its not more expensive just becuase of greed. Just because an oil meets dexos cert. has little to do with the actual quality. It just means it passed GMs test to run in their vehicles.

There are so many different additive packages, anti-wear additives, etc that each manufacture uses that an oil testing lab will be able to verify for you. You should test TBN to get a better idea as well. To say "sams club oil" is anywhere near on the same playing field as say... amsoil, mobil 1, penzoil platiunum, etc is laughable. Its kinda like saying a fram oil filter is the same as a mobil 1 or amsoil filter. Yea, i mean, they all just filter oil right? Its not like 1 is made with cardboard endcaps and a shitty bypass and glue and the others with a much better filter media and can last a yr and 10k +miles and a thinker casing.

You get what you pay for and if you dont care about your 40k car then nobody else will. Oil is cheaper than a motor...
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:53 PM   #14
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
yep
synthetic is man made not crude.
yes
because the molecules are damaged. It wont meet dexos2 spec.

No, it probably wouldn't. So, it's safe to say that the Sam's Club oil, which does meet the spec, isn't re-refined oil like was suggested.