Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #85
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
What is the difference between the three NA V8 Camaros?

Looking around the weight difference with the same options like transmission and sun roof is around 100 pounds. The LT1 model is most likely 50-75 pounds lighter than the 1SS. The 2SS 1LE is the heaviest V8 NA Camaro. The 1LE package add roughly another 100 pounds to the SS.

So I weighed my 2016 M6 loaded sunroof 2ss with 1/4 tank of gas: 3,685 pounds.
Comparable Weights:
  • M6 2SS 1LE: 3,785 pounds
  • M6 2SS: 3,685 pounds
  • M6 1SS 1LE: 3,685 pounds
  • M6 1SS: 3,585 pounds
  • M6 LT1: 3,535 pounds
So with similar options and driver at the drag strip LT (with SS wide rear tires) > 1SS > 2SS.
All things being equal driver, tires, track, and air each 100 pounds is = .1 in the 1/4. Also weight affects the polar inertia of the car. So depending on which Camaro you drive some will have better handling responses to your driving input.
The LT1 which has the SS suspension will feel the lightest and so on. The 1LEs are a nice step up from the LT1/SS in handling, but the feel is not that different on the street. However the 1LE is amazing that it is not a penalty box to drive. MRC really helps here I think.

LT1 hardware:
  • SS suspension
  • SS engine cooling
  • Brembo front brakes
  • All season tires
  • V8 differential
  • No Tow bar threads
  • No MRC
  • No Hud
  • Base Camaro Interior
  • No heated seats
  • No Track Mode steering/engine selection
  • NPP optional
1SS Hardware:
  • SS suspension
  • SS engine cooling
  • Brembo front and rear brakes
  • Trans and diff coolers
  • Summer tires
  • Base Camaro Interior
  • No heated seats
  • MRC optional
  • NPP optional
  • HUD and EDiff only with the 1LE option
2SS Hardware:
  • SS suspension
  • SS engine cooling
  • Brembo front and rear brakes
  • Trans and diff coolers
  • Summer tires
  • Upscale Camaro Interior
  • NPP optional
  • V8 differential
  • MRC optional
  • Hud
  • Bose
  • 2 zone HVAC
  • Heated/cooled seats
  • Cool interior lighting
  • NPP optional
  • Ediff with the 1LE option

All 3 NA V8 Camaros are world class handling cars All will stop about the same on the same tires. But the rear Brembos on the SS will provide a little more time on a race track. But as the fronts are more important to stopping they have less effect than the 6 pistons on the 1LE. The extra cooling on the SS helps you stay out on the track longer at higher speeds. On the street there is very little difference.

But of course performance is not the only reason we buy these cars. And the 2SS advantages over the 1SS are:
  • A nicer interior
  • Heated and cooled seats
  • Hud
  • 2 zone HVAC
  • Cooler lighting
  • Bigger dash pad and Bose
If these things mean a lot to you then enough said. But to the rest of the world they cannot tell the difference between the two SS versions. Except the 1LE looks cooler with the blacked out hood and the huge tires. People notice that.

As for the LT1 it still looks good to me with the car showing better the clean lines of the Camaro. And I like the sleeper effect. I went to look at an LT1 with nice wheels in silver grey and to me looked great.

As to the sleeper effect I had to explain to the salesman that this Camaro I am sitting in has a V8. LOL. He was shocked.

Last edited by Fraxum; 12-27-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 11:49 AM   #86
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Leather is more dense and weighs more than cloth, the seats have the heating elements and cooling fans, and the steering wheel has a heating element in it as well. Also the illuminated door sills probably weigh a couple pounds more than the standard plastic trim. What may make the most difference in weight though is the stereo. The extra speakers and larger amp all certainly add weight.
The difference between the leather and cloth is a couple pounds if I remember correctly. I weighed the 2 but I don't remember exactly how much the difference was.

The heaviest options for these cars are the mag ride and moon roof. The rest of the stuff is minor in difference. The moon roof alone is almost 60lbs.

A 1SS with no mag ride or moon roof gonna be 80lbs lighter then a 2SS with both of those options.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 11:59 AM   #87
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
That sounds right, I think the magride was 25-30lbs
Old 12-27-2019, 12:15 PM   #88
RockySS

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro SS
My 1SS has Magnetic Ride Control and the Dual Mode NPP Exhaust (and a sun roof). I have can't imagine having anything more would make me like the car more or less, she is a lot of fun as is!
RockySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #89
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post

As for the LT1 it still looks good to me with the car showing better the clean lines of the Camaro. And I like the sleeper effect. I went to look at an LT1 with nice wheels in silver grey and to me looked great.

As to the sleeper effect I had to explain that this Camaro I am sitting in has a V8. LOL. He was shocked.
I like the LT1's taillights. Just your basic/traditional red taillights. The clear SS taillights aren't bad looking, I just think they're trying a little too hard to get noticed. I will say the clear taillights look very nice when the lights are cut on.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #90
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Fixed
Thanks! My bad. And I fixed even more stuff. Any other mistakes?

Last edited by Fraxum; 12-27-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 01:10 PM   #91
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
If there is doubt in your mind now get the 2SS as you'll always regret it or spend money and time trying to convert it, I've seen it a hundred times. Better yet get a 2SS 1LE, sorry thats not helping.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 01:21 PM   #92
Wickedsprint

Drives: 2019 1SS 6M
The extra 2SS stuff is not worth it to me.
Wickedsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 01:42 PM   #93
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
If there is doubt in your mind now get the 2SS as you'll always regret it or spend money and time trying to convert it, I've seen it a hundred times. Better yet get a 2SS 1LE, sorry thats not helping.
Just get a ZLE
Old 12-27-2019, 02:00 PM   #94
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
Same thing trying to build a ZL1 from an SS. But if you start with a 1LE and add an SC with an engine rebuild you will be very close. All that would be missing is some suspension tuning. But you would have a ZL1/SS costing ZL1 $$ and worth maybe $40-45K used. Real used '17-18 ZL1s are only pulling a few $K more.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:12 PM   #95
CoeusAscended

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 2018
Personally I didn't have a lot of choice because I'm in Europe where we only have tricked out 2SS and base I4 models available, which I didn't know that at the time, but the leather interior, sun roof and bose speakers sold me on the 2SS models, I've seen pictures of the cloth seats and tbh it just doesn't do it for me, I feel that leather seats belongs in these cars. Of course these extra things are heavier, and the extra weight will cost .1sec in your quarter and/or 0-60, but I've had nothing but compliments over the interior and quality, and the sound system is just perfect. They're extra luxuries sure, but I feel they're not overrated luxuries for a performance car, like you don't get silly stuff like the M8's "ambience" control where it plays soft music and changes climate control/interior lighting to "soothe" you. So, for me, the .1-2 seconds slower and higher pricetag are without a doubt worth it. You can get those fractions of seconds back without breaking a sweat by upgrading tyres, and even more if you put on some boltons.

Also, I think the interior lighting strips are an 2SS exclusive too, right? You won't believe what an impression it makes on the fairer sex when you tell them they can pick the lighting color, especially when they notice there's like 5 different pinks lol.

Edit: as for the weight rating list I saw up top, to add to the bunch, mine is registered at 3850lbs, haven't had it weighed though, it has pretty much every option available I believe, sunroof, MRC and A8 tranny being the main heavyweights. My fastest 0-60 on stock tyres on the streets has been 4.1 seconds, using the lackluster factory launch control, so only .1 second away from the advertised 0-60 time.
CoeusAscended is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 02:33 PM   #96
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yes Fraxum I agree with you about your reply above. I was looking at buying a 2018-2019 2SS 1LE new and I found my used low mileage 2017 ZL1 for roughly the same price so I figured that the ZL1 was a better bargain! And it already had a supercharger which the SS 1LE didn’t have that I would have had to add at a later time!
Old 12-27-2019, 03:59 PM   #97
Bruiser0311

Drives: 2020 Camaro Convertible 2SS
IMHO YES, although I’m biased because I just purchased a 2SS convertible. If your planning on having it for a long time.....yes.....Good luck!
Bruiser0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:26 PM   #98
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoeusAscended View Post
They're extra luxuries sure, but I feel they're not overrated luxuries for a performance car...
thats exactly my view, without the contradiction...it’s a domestic performance car. you can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig. chevrolet and high quality (anything non powertrain) has never existed and never will. although seeing the cars for what they are, as opposed to what they’re trying to be, makes justifying the cost even more difficult.