Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-07-2021, 05:57 PM   #1
Russ.
Super Sport Track Pack

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE, 2015 JKU
Pi Toolbox for downforce

Out of curiosity has anyone used Pi Toolbox and their PDR to calculate how much downforce their car makes at any given speed?

I just installed Pi Toolbox this weekend and noticed that it contains data for suspension displacement for each corner. I assume that using the spring rates for your model, downforce should be relatively easy to calculate for a given speed.

I want to give this a shot once my car is out of storage. I think it would be cool if this proved to be somewhat feasible using what is already available in the car.
Russ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:45 PM   #2
TWG1
TWG1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZLE
I used Cosworth toolbox to verify my ZL1 rear would rise ~1” on back straight of Road Atlanta, which confirmed the seat of the pants feeling. Compared that data to a friends ZLE, which didn’t do the same thing and it was enough to get me interested in upgrading Aero, or move to ZLE. (I no longer own a ZL1).

I think you’ll need a specific track that’ll let you get to 140+. I thought the standard ZL1 was fairly stable until 130, then it started buffeting in the rear end. Also, you should do comparisons on same day, same direction, etc. My opinion: the platform is really good, so you got to go pretty fast to find measurable improvements.

Finally, the data has a lot of scatter. I actually eyeballed a trend line with a ruler on the monitor screen. I didn’t bother to try and find a way to export data...which would have been better data-wise.
2021 F150 Powerboost (on order)
TWG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:44 AM   #3
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
2017 cars do not list suspension displacements :( but its a great tool for you newer car guys
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:14 PM   #4
Russ.
Super Sport Track Pack

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE, 2015 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1 View Post
I used Cosworth toolbox to verify my ZL1 rear would rise ~1” on back straight of Road Atlanta, which confirmed the seat of the pants feeling. Compared that data to a friends ZLE, which didn’t do the same thing and it was enough to get me interested in upgrading Aero, or move to ZLE. (I no longer own a ZL1).

I think you’ll need a specific track that’ll let you get to 140+. I thought the standard ZL1 was fairly stable until 130, then it started buffeting in the rear end. Also, you should do comparisons on same day, same direction, etc. My opinion: the platform is really good, so you got to go pretty fast to find measurable improvements.

Finally, the data has a lot of scatter. I actually eyeballed a trend line with a ruler on the monitor screen. I didn’t bother to try and find a way to export data...which would have been better data-wise.

Sounds like you’ve had some good use of the PDR.

I’m planning to buy a wicker bill this spring and figured I test the car over a week with and without the wicker bill and review that data. The various wicker bills say they add downforce but their are no specifics given (lbs and speed). Driving on the street one might see a a few extra pounds at common highway speeds but I want to be able to quantify this. Once I have this, it should be relatively easy to extrapolate for track speeds just to have an understanding.

Similarly I was hoping to see someone in the velossa tech thread have conclusive evidence from the PDR showing lower intake air temps.

Seems like their are many advantages to the PDR other than just on track usage and I would like to take advantage of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Russ. is offline   Reply With Quote