Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-03-2017, 04:12 PM   #15
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchonutty View Post
Mine turns over slow all the time. It has nothing to do with the temperature of the engine.
Same here... -10*, 20*, 50*, 70*, 100*... same same.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:50 PM   #16
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Nah this thread doesn't have the details about the slow starts if u didn't read my past threads u wouldn't really understand. But yea I have 1 7/8 longtube headers
Old 03-04-2017, 12:02 AM   #17
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Mine always SOUNDS like it is turning over slow. Yet it starts just fine. I'm on the factory OEM battery plus my mods. Maybe its just a mind game.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:34 AM   #18
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

It's not a mind game when it starts so slow that it throws the computer off into a bad tune and lights up the dashboard or just won't even crank at all until it cools off
Old 03-04-2017, 10:28 AM   #19
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
I'm starting to think it's because of your headers?

I know it's cold in Philly, but your headers are uncoated. A lot of people here who have had coated headers like myself NEVER have this issue even in the heat.

Without question I can confirm there was an ever so slight difference in start up during the Texas heat, like if I go to the gas station in 100 degree weather, turn the car off for like 2 minutes and then turn it back on it hesitates slightly... but someone shot that idea down and said it was spark plugs?

So I'm thinking it's header heat. I know yours are uncoated, I'm not telling you to coat them, but maybe that golden heat wrap you linked a while back on a Starter idea you had, wouldn't be a bad thing to do now?
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:46 AM   #20
Ponchonutty

Drives: 2012 SS L99 Converible
My car is all stock
Ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:10 AM   #21
BurnedRubber
Ben Rakers

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Ground cable wont do anything most likely, if you want to upgrade the cables you need to upgrade the Positive wire going to the starter. But my bet is neither of those are your problem and the starter is just getting heat soaked and causing the electrical resistance to go up in the winding inside the starter. I would try coating your headers or putting some heat shield on your starter.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS K&N Blackhawk Cold air intake, Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, BAER drilled and slotted rotors, Side louver black faded inserts, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, BMR Trailing Arms, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MSD Spark Plug Wires, Texas Speed 1 7/8in Headers and cat back, High Flow Cats, 3 inch X-Pipe, Speed Dawg shift knob, Tuned by Nickey. And oh, its My first car.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_L...5jF6EQEoKDNQ2g
BurnedRubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:19 AM   #22
BurnedRubber
Ben Rakers

http://www.classicindustries.com/pro...ts/tt1002.html

Heres a heat blanket for the starter
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS K&N Blackhawk Cold air intake, Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, BAER drilled and slotted rotors, Side louver black faded inserts, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, BMR Trailing Arms, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MSD Spark Plug Wires, Texas Speed 1 7/8in Headers and cat back, High Flow Cats, 3 inch X-Pipe, Speed Dawg shift knob, Tuned by Nickey. And oh, its My first car.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:24 PM   #23
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Throw a high torque mini-starter in it, like I mentioned previously, and your troubles will be over with the slow starts. See my previous post, page #1, for the link.

-Scott

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:51 PM   #24
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnedRubber View Post
http://www.classicindustries.com/pro...ts/tt1002.html

Heres a heat blanket for the starter
Old 03-06-2017, 12:57 AM   #25
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Yea I'll get a high torque mini starter if this fails for sure. Also how am I supposed to wrap it on the heat shield blanket if there's already a solid heat shield that screws onto the starter? I'm assuming I would have to put holes in the blanket and just screw the heat shield on top of it.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:12 PM   #26
BurnedRubber
Ben Rakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Yea I'll get a high torque mini starter if this fails for sure. Also how am I supposed to wrap it on the heat shield blanket if there's already a solid heat shield that screws onto the starter? I'm assuming I would have to put holes in the blanket and just screw the heat shield on top of it.
This would replace the stock metal heat shield with a heat resistant fabric. should work much better than a metal heat shield.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:00 PM   #27
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnedRubber View Post
This would replace the stock metal heat shield with a heat resistant fabric. should work much better than a metal heat shield.
Can't I do both?
Old 03-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #28
BurnedRubber
Ben Rakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Can't I do both?
Not sure, I've never used one on a starter. but you shouldn't need both, i imagine putting holes in the blanket will cause it to fray and fall apart, probably also void any warranty on it.