Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-02-2017, 05:59 AM   #1
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Question Should I Upgrade Ground Cable?

I was talking to someone on here about slow starts because of starter heat-soak on a warm engine and one of the tips he told me is to change the ground cable in the trunk to a thicker one. What exactly does this do and should I do it? Also can someone send me a link to what I should get?

Old 03-02-2017, 06:40 AM   #2
Ponchonutty

Drives: 2012 SS L99 Converible
My SS turns over slow all the time. I plan on replacing the battery with a better one
Ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:53 AM   #3
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Battery is new
Old 03-02-2017, 07:07 AM   #4
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Mine has turned over slow since day 1. I guess I've never heard anyone else's SS start, so I have nothing to compare it to, other than other vehicles I've owned in the past.
I assumed it was normal.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:14 AM   #5
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
I was talking to someone on here about slow starts because of starter heat-soak on a warm engine and one of the tips he told me is to change the ground cable in the trunk to a thicker one. What exactly does this do and should I do it? Also can someone send me a link to what I should get?

Sounds like your car only turns over slow once the starter has been subjected to "heat-soak", I don't think a bigger NEG battery cable will solve your issues. While it certainly won't hurt anything to put a bigger NEG cable on, you would need to increase the size of the POS cable as well.

The increase in cable size allows for a greater current carrying capacity. When the starter motor heats up, the copper windings that make up the motor and field circuits increase in resistance, meaning you would need to supply more current to the starter to get the same performance when the starter is cold.

It's not the cheapest option, but a high torque mini-starter, such as the PowerMaster XS Torque series will solve all of your heat soak issues.

If the issue is just a weakening battery, nothing will fix that other than a replacement battery. Good luck!

-Scott

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:32 AM   #6
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Have you checked the terminals at the starter?
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Still chasin this one huh? Just askin did you chase down and clean every ground connection..in the car? Heat soak on a ground cable..in the trunk? Only reason would be if that cable was damaged/kinked some how..did that happen?

Lol..still no sig with your specs..It would make things easier when peeps respond with legit suggestions...just sayin...

FYI...when I upgraded my stock ignition wiring with a MSD harness upgrade, I tapped off the hot on the engine compartment..and that connection was also a bit corroded which I cleaned off...so you may want to check that also..good luck...peace out..
Old 03-02-2017, 03:44 PM   #8
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Not really chasin it because I know what the problem is. I changed the starter myself at the beginning of this year and that solved everything perfectly fine for a few weeks but now the problem has come back. Funny how I made a thread before I changed the starter asking if I should get one of those high torque ones and everyone told me no need to spend a lot of money and OEM is better even though aftermarket doesn't cost that much more.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:03 PM   #9
762ch

Drives: 2011 2SS
After my car was tuned it stopped turning over slow. Might have something to do with timing while starting. Not sure. I also have a good AGM battery
762ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:37 AM   #10
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Do you have header pipe mod that runs near the starter?
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:56 AM   #11
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Not really chasin it because I know what the problem is. I changed the starter myself at the beginning of this year and that solved everything perfectly fine for a few weeks but now the problem has come back. Funny how I made a thread before I changed the starter asking if I should get one of those high torque ones and everyone told me no need to spend a lot of money and OEM is better even though aftermarket doesn't cost that much more.
I did the same thing (replaced the starter), had the same problem (worked for a few weeks, back to hard starts), and I'll bet the terminals AT THE STARTER aren't clean, offering a bad connection. The problem is, when the starter gets hot it pulls more power from the battery to work. If the connection AT THE STARTER isn't clean, the starter does not get all of the juice and boom: hard start problems. Clean the power wire connection AT THE STARTER, apply some dielectric grease and you should have better starts.

Also, check your grounds from engine to chassis. I found one that wasn't on the block and it also helped with my starting problems. It was even starting to weld itself to the bolt holding it. Clean them up and apply a bit of dielectric grease.

If you go with the high torque starter I hope you check/clean the connections because those aren't cheap. Good Luck.

Edit: Check this out. Someone else found a bad ground on their engine and starting has been perfect ever since:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=48
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53

Last edited by xc_SS/RS; 03-03-2017 at 11:14 AM.
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #12
BurnedRubber
Ben Rakers

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I used to respond to this guys posts, but he never seems to want to listen to advice from anyone who has had similar problems, must be a certified internet mechanic! lol good luck homeless man.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS K&N Blackhawk Cold air intake, Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, BAER drilled and slotted rotors, Side louver black faded inserts, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, BMR Trailing Arms, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MSD Spark Plug Wires, Texas Speed 1 7/8in Headers and cat back, High Flow Cats, 3 inch X-Pipe, Speed Dawg shift knob, Tuned by Nickey. And oh, its My first car.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_L...5jF6EQEoKDNQ2g
BurnedRubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #13
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnedRubber View Post
I used to respond to this guys posts, but he never seems to want to listen to advice from anyone who has had similar problems, must be a certified internet mechanic! lol good luck homeless man.
What are u talking about I always listen to people's advice on the forum and private message with many people. Don't have anything useful to say don't bother posting on my stuff
Old 03-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #14
Ponchonutty

Drives: 2012 SS L99 Converible
Mine turns over slow all the time. It has nothing to do with the temperature of the engine.
Ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote