Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-16-2011, 06:53 AM   #29
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Technically the tank cap never has to come off so you could seal the threads with blue RTV couldn't you? My other question is, if you have a vented cap at the top why run the 1/4 line into the tank? Is this just to help it fill faster?

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #30
13 ZL1

Drives: 2013 IOM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
Technically the tank cap never has to come off so you could seal the threads with blue RTV couldn't you? My other question is, if you have a vented cap at the top why run the 1/4 line into the tank? Is this just to help it fill faster?
The cap was leaking because I did not have it tight enough. I tried to tighten it with the air filter in place. With my setup, you need to have a vented lower cap or the 1/4in tube to allow the air pressure to equalize when filling an empty tank. The hose from the remote fill runs down a couple of inches and then runs horizontal along the length of the air box. It then turns out next to the radiator. It has a slight upward bend before turning down to the tank fitting. If the lower cap is not vented like I originally had it, the air pressure builds up in the tank as it starts to fill. Eventually, the pressure increases and prevents further filling of the tank because the fill hose is completely blocked with water and the air cannot escape. If the tank is vented, the pressure does not build up and you can fill the tank. With the vented cap on the tank, it will leak out of the vent hole if you overfill the tank.

I don't think the vent tube needs to be 1/4in. That was what they had at Home Depot and it was stiff enough for me to push it through the fill hose without dissasembling the hose. I hope that explains it.
13 ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:43 AM   #31
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange2SSRS View Post
The cap was leaking because I did not have it tight enough. I tried to tighten it with the air filter in place. With my setup, you need to have a vented lower cap or the 1/4in tube to allow the air pressure to equalize when filling an empty tank. The hose from the remote fill runs down a couple of inches and then runs horizontal along the length of the air box. It then turns out next to the radiator. It has a slight upward bend before turning down to the tank fitting. If the lower cap is not vented like I originally had it, the air pressure builds up in the tank as it starts to fill. Eventually, the pressure increases and prevents further filling of the tank because the fill hose is completely blocked with water and the air cannot escape. If the tank is vented, the pressure does not build up and you can fill the tank. With the vented cap on the tank, it will leak out of the vent hole if you overfill the tank.

I don't think the vent tube needs to be 1/4in. That was what they had at Home Depot and it was stiff enough for me to push it through the fill hose without dissasembling the hose. I hope that explains it.
Makes sense. Too bad the fill hose routing couldn't be more of a direct vertical drop to the tank. Would a second, yet smaller, hose fitting with a vent hose routed somewhere high do the trick, without adding a lot to the total retail pricing?

She is only memory now.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #32
Snake Slayer

Drives: Awaiting 2014 C7
Quote:
Makes sense. Too bad the fill hose routing couldn't be more of a direct vertical drop to the tank. Would a second, yet smaller, hose fitting with a vent hose routed somewhere high do the trick, without adding a lot to the total retail pricing?
Thanks for the update I hope the selling price is less than the Rotofab unit. Not knocking their product but I have a problem spending $100 on a washer bottle when the scoop itself cost $65.
Snake Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #33
13 ZL1

It would, they could add second fitting to the tank for venting. This is only an issue because I have that horizontal run. I don't think it would be an issue if I drilled a hole in the air box for the hose. I did not want to do that. If you mount the remote fill inside air box, this will not be a problem.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #34
13 ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Slayer View Post
Thanks for the update I hope the selling price is less than the Rotofab unit. Not knocking their product but I have a problem spending $100 on a washer bottle when the scoop itself cost $65.
I am not sure what the final pricing is going to be, I expect it will in the neighborhood of $60. Hopefully, we'll have all of the details soon.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #35
IndeedSS1

Quote:

The R-B unit is nearly a full gallon and looks factory. They spent a lot of time making theirs fit and look like it does. It's hard to grasp what went into it unless you've held and installed one. While the scoop is a very nice piece of hardware, you can compare the two.

Obviously this solution is going to be for the budget minded, if the pricing works out, or a universal fit option for Yellow Jacket users. Each will have it's own target audience.

She is only memory now.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #36
13 ZL1

Not only is it a solution for the budget minded, it is also a solution for those of us who don't want to look at another big tank under the hood.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #37
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange2SSRS View Post
Not only is it a solution for the budget minded, it is also a solution for those of us who don't want to look at another big tank under the hood.
That one didn't even occur to me.

She is only memory now.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #38
Snake Slayer

Quote:
That one didn't even occur to me.
Honestly living in Florida I really don't have the need for fluid. I would like to have it but why have a huge tank that adds extra weight for something I wont use that often. Again I am not knocking Roto-Fab's product or folks that bought it just want a more cost effective solution for my needs.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #39
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Honestly living in Florida I really don't have the need for fluid. I would like to have it but why have a huge tank that adds extra weight for something I wont use that often. Again I am not knocking Roto-Fab's product or folks that bought it just want a more cost effective solution for my needs.
That is the beauty of options.

She is only memory now.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:38 AM   #40
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:

Were did you buy it for $65.
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:44 AM   #41
Snake Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
Were did you buy it for $65.
Hey Andy in my case I was speaking in the general context. I purchased mine from a forum member who decided not to install his. By the way great product I have felt a huge diffrence with your scoop and my CAI.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #42
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Hey Andy in my case I was speaking in the general context. I purchased mine from a forum member who decided not to install his. By the way great product I have felt a huge diffrence with your scoop and my CAI.
I just dyno'd on Saturday with the ADM scoop, Halltech Yelllow Jacket tube/filter, and Roto-Fab box, VMax TB, and SOLO HF cats and no tune. SAE 402.9 HP and 401.6 TQ. The scoop is on my highly remommended list. To those in doubt about the scoop, yes the difference can be felt too.

She is only memory now.