#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #85
KyleL

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20171LE View Post
Car GUYS shift for themselves, especially on a road course.
If you want to solely drag knuckles at the drag strip with a $60k+ car, that's your mistake.
Even though I used to run my sport bikes on a road course, my m6 c6 never saw one. I live much further from that than I do a drag strip. So in reality my camaro won't see one either, but it'll definitely see the nearest drag strip.

I used to think the same way you did, if you want a real sports car, shift it yourself. This car made me reconsider my position. But it's all what you want out of one, you may be looking at a8 camaro tail lights all day, with the possible exception of a road course, but at least you're rowing through your own gears. And if that's what makes you happy, great. But beating the car next to me when the green light hits makes me happy
Old 04-18-2016, 04:28 PM   #86
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
I'm confused.

PDK, DCT are the best ever, but real men shift on their own.

I'm dizzy.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:35 PM   #87
clanky
Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro 2S

Drives: 16 Hyper Blue2SS NPP MagRide 6M NAV
Yelp my choice will be simple. My wife can not drive a manual, but she can drive an automatic. So if I don't want her "borrowing my car when she doesn't feel like getting her BMW out..." i'll get a manual. Don't want any wal-mart buggies, or the ladies at the hair place dinging up my 60k+ car. But honestly I would get a manual anyways I miss it too much with my current ride.
clanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:39 PM   #88
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
You see my 2016 SS in my avatar?
Anytime you're in the Northeast, PM me if you'd like to meet me and my 2016 SS in person.
Until then, quit barking.

The A8 is garbage. Deal with it.
Hopefully the A10 is a game changer.
That's not my point. You basically confirmed you did go by that user name and you have already been banned from this site multiple times for the same attitude you have here. You have no respect for other members and all you do is go around creating drama and acting like you are here. If I wasn't correct it wouldn't have been so easy for me to identify you and I can think of 5 other forums at least you've been banned from because you can't relax and show respect. Respect isn't acting like a fan boy, it's acting like an adult.

I don't even own a 2016 Camaro, I'm just interested in them. Doesn't mean I shouldn't post here.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #89
IOMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
I'm confused.

PDK, DCT are the best ever, but real men shift on their own.

I'm dizzy.
What I gathered is that the A8 is as good as a good DCT, but not as good as the best, the PDK. It does this while not having any of the inherent issues of a DCT like cost, maintenance, strength and driveability quirks. But because it's not the absolute best in every category all at once (which none of them are), in a sub 40k sports car - it's garbage.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #90
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
That's not my point. You basically confirmed you did go by that user name and you have already been banned from this site multiple times for the same attitude you have here. .

I think you're correct based on other posts I've seen here..
Old 04-18-2016, 04:58 PM   #91
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Let's try to stay on topic, rather than start arguing identities...
Old 04-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #92
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
we are far away from a PDK for as long as GM justifies performance powertrain R&D by sharing the designs with their masses(trucks).

I don't see a truck towing 12,000lbs in a 1500 or even higher in a 1 ton with a PDK anytime soon.

If the powertrain is not shared with the mass produced vehicles there will be an exponential price increase

As we all know, the LT1 was designed from the fruit of the eco-tec 3 family: LT1, Truck(6.2L, 5.3L, 4.3L-V6), the trannys are no different, with GM taking it further in developing it with Ford

This is the recipe to build great cars for comparatively little cost.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:40 PM   #93
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
While I haven't driven a PDK, I will take the A8 all day long over the 7-DCT I had in my 335is. Sure, it shifted a tad quicker but it wasn't all that noticable, the A8 is still much faster than you could manually shift the M6, and for daily driving the A8 it is light years better than any DCT will be. And with just a tune I was worried about clutch slippage on it as they weren't rated for much torque.

If I go with the 1LE, I'm obviously going to be getting the manual but if I spring for the ZL1, it's the A10 for me. Especially with a 5th gear 1:1. I can't wait to see what the actual ratios and rear end ratio are.
The big problem with DCT or DSG is the clutch ratings. This is a new design some people are still afraid of. I personally hope the Chevrolet will go this eventually. The torque converter method of transmission will never be as efficient. You are changing a mechanical energy into a hydraulic energy and back to mechanical. Remember Ferrari, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Mclaren all of these companies use mechanical automatics and have proven reliability with power.

I currently drive a 6m and can see the point of an automatic. Not quite old enough that it my choice yet. Same with my motorcycles. I will say the McLaren I drove through the Colorado Mountains was really nice though for an automatic.

Last edited by drivingagain; 04-18-2016 at 06:57 PM.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:55 PM   #94
KyleL

Drives: Slow
Quote:
. The A8 is garbage.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:11 PM   #95
IOMike

Quote:
What part of "the A8 is garbage because of the horrible delay between the time the paddle is pulled, to the time the shift is completed" don't you understand ???
Don't even get me started on the overheating issues and the inherit shortcomings of a torque converter transmission.
Let's all hope the A10 is a game changer.

To say it's garbage because of one thing that is apparent in every automatic transmission is short sighted. There are a lot if things that the 8l90 does better than dcts including the PDK.

You have your opinion and that's fine. You can stand by it without being so condescending and forcing it down everyone's throat.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:01 AM   #96
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Why do the fan boys keep acting like it's ME or MY opinion?
Because it is. Sorry to break it to you.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:14 AM   #97
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Why do the fan boys keep acting like it's ME or MY opinion?
The entire auto industry holds the same opinion that I do.

Uhhh....shifting isn't "one" thing. It's the ONLY thing that a transmission does.
The 8L90 doesn't do ONE thing better than PDK. Not one.

How are we even having this conversation in 2016?
Name one other top tier sports car that runs a torque converter in 2016.

And, I'll end every one of my posts in this thread with the same sentence.
The A8 IS garbage.
I'm sincerely hoping the A10 is a game changer so I can trade my 2016 SS M6 for one.
Ok, ok...we get it. We know where you stand on the subject. You don't like the A8 and if the A10 lives up to the hype you are in the group that would consider it should you move to the ZL1. Gotcha. You are in, opinion noted . As I have mentioned in a couple place, the A8 is not a great transmission for the track. I have used it and found it to be less that adequate for someone who a) like to use the paddles and finds the delays - specifically in downshifting - to be frustratingly slow and/or b) puts the car in sport mode D and finds the car consistently struggling to keep the car in the optimal RPM range for exiting corners, etc. HOWEVER, on the road, straight line, light to light, having fun on the street (and of course obeying all traffic laws) I find the A8 to be a fine transmission that is much improved over the A6 and will meet the needs of 95% of the Camaro buyers out there. (note, Camaro buyers, not Porsche buyers as I see those as two different demo's).

Now, since this thread is about A10 vs M6 in the ZL1, I would like to get back on topic. How much does the "being in control" aspect of the M6 versus the potential A10 performance gains weight into your decision. Let's keep this straight forward from here on out. ASSUMING...and that is a big assumption....that the A10 is everything it is promised to be....who would be willing to move to an automatic for the first time or the first time in a long time. I am on the fence but IF the A10 is able to pull off on a consistent basis what I see in those video's...I am in for the A10 as I am not getting any younger and admit that I am slowing a bit on my manual reflexes. My only concern is that I will almost immediately throw another 150HP into the car so the A10's ability to handle more power (especially torque levels approaching 800 ft/lbs) will be a factor for me so I might not move on one immediately and wait until some of the performance shops get one or two and see how they do with the extra power.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:07 AM   #98
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post

Now, since this thread is about A10 vs M6 in the ZL1, I would like to get back on topic. How much does the "being in control" aspect of the M6 versus the potential A10 performance gains weight into your decision.
Factors for me:
1. Benefits of the A10
a. Performance
b. DD / in traffic comfort
c. Remote start
d. Ability for wife to drive (she learned to drive on a manual, but it's been a while).
2. Cost - if it is like a 3K option, then it is very doable and will make me go crazy trying to decide.

2. Will I have fun with the A10 vs. rowing my own?