#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 10-04-2021, 09:39 PM   #43
cre8fun

Drives: audi R8; ss 1le; F250
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
well, I blew my motor at Road America last year right at the top of the hill on the front straight shifting to 5th. And just did it again this weekend! Exact same spot. Wasn't a missed shift or over rev, just let go at the top of the RPM range in 4th. Last year the dealership in WI said it was a piston failure... Behaved exactly the same this year. Towed it to the same dealership.
I will be very interested in how the dealership/GM handles it since I expect I'll be in the same boat next year. I figure mine let go on the 12th track day. the 12th day for the new one will likely be in the spring. please post a follow up once the dealer is done. fingers crossed for you to get an easy ride to a new motor.
cre8fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:25 AM   #44
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
make sure to know the car has to be stock or only modded with oem gm parts

so not really much you can do gm intake/exhaust and thats about it really...
Old 10-05-2021, 03:22 PM   #45
davidwarren

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8fun View Post
I will be very interested in how the dealership/GM handles it since I expect I'll be in the same boat next year. I figure mine let go on the 12th track day. the 12th day for the new one will likely be in the spring. please post a follow up once the dealer is done. fingers crossed for you to get an easy ride to a new motor.
The service rep already texted me that they are going to crack it open by Wednesday and start a warranty claim with GM. I would really like to know what failed. It is completely stock and run with the proper oil and I checked it frequently at the track. It should not have been an issue.
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:42 PM   #46
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
If this keeps up we're going to have to start a registration page for blown motors like the Subaru guys do to see if there is a trend etc.
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:13 PM   #47
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloCal View Post
was c7 zr1 covered under warranty? Hard to believe it's just 5 key cycles but per my example I just can't see gm denying motor for an over rev under previous owner on a CPO car?

Crazy that towing your blown motor car to one dealer can result in "voided warranty" when this is explicitly covered
The dealer is paid by Chevy to do this warranty work. Why would they want to jack you around and not do the work?
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:53 AM   #48
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
The dealer is paid by Chevy to do this warranty work. Why would they want to jack you around and not do the work?
Usually the only time that a dealership will not offer to fix something under warranty is when they feel that there is a risk that they won't get paid by GM. This usually means that there are factors that put the warranty work in the gray area.
This is just from my personal experience and from what I have heard from my Chevrolet Service Advisor.
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:09 PM   #49
SloCal

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandanK View Post
Usually the only time that a dealership will not offer to fix something under warranty is when they feel that there is a risk that they won't get paid by GM. This usually means that there are factors that put the warranty work in the gray area.
This is just from my personal experience and from what I have heard from my Chevrolet Service Advisor.
But doesn't it get approved or denied before they replace the block?

2nd 6th gen
SPL Toe Arms/Brembo HTC64t/Corsa NPP/Tremec MTF Fluid
SloCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:00 AM   #50
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloCal View Post
But doesn't it get approved or denied before they replace the block?
I assume that a dealership will seek preapproval before any large repair, especially when we are talking about an engine/trans that was used at the track.

I cannot imagine that the dealership needs preapproval for small warranty repairs.
Again, this is just off of what I have heard from my service advisor.
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:28 AM   #51
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Those of you who have had blown motors, are you doing longer than 20 minute sessions? Are these happening after an entire weekend of racing? The reason I’m asking is I just did my first track day and this is now something I want to do more of in my life. My car is out of the power train warranty but I do have an extended warranty on the car through Chevy/amt. Not sure if that will cover non competitive track use or not.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:39 AM   #52
IntegraR0064

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
Those of you who have had blown motors, are you doing longer than 20 minute sessions? Are these happening after an entire weekend of racing? The reason I’m asking is I just did my first track day and this is now something I want to do more of in my life. My car is out of the power train warranty but I do have an extended warranty on the car through Chevy/amt. Not sure if that will cover non competitive track use or not.
I did not do longer than 20 minute sessions I don't think. Maybe some were slightly over, but nothing significant. Most I would come in after 10-15 though.

For me it blew during the second session of the track day. The first session had actually only been a couple laps due to someone getting black flagged. So it was basically the beginning.

I had done maybe 6-7 days of track time at that point?

I was doing OEM oil change intervals due to over confidence in the motor, when the motor blew it was actually getting close to needing an oil change (7000 miles). In the future I'm going to change the oil significantly more often as that may have been a part of why. I'm thinking every 2 or 3 track days but was planning on researching more.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:42 AM   #53
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
I did a 40 minute session at MSRC 3.1 last year and 3x 30 minute sessions at COTA in upper 90s outside temperatures 2 years ago without any motor issues so far (knock on wood).

Outside temperature at MSRC was around 60 degrees though so the car didn't get quite as hot as it does when tracking in the summer.

I have been letting the oil life monitor get close to 0 between oil changes with Mobil1 0W-40 ESP but I put thousands of street miles on the car in addition to track days. I believe someone posted on here with a Blackstone used oil analysis and it was fine after 10 track days. The 2017 manual said to change the oil every 4 track hours but I believe this was removed from the 2018+ manual.

UOAs:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=501997&page=2
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504464

Last edited by cdrptrks; 10-09-2021 at 10:02 AM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:25 PM   #54
Silent_H_

Drives: '21 V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
The 2017 manual said to change the oil every 4 track hours but I believe this was removed from the 2018+ manual.
The manual on my 2021 still says to ignore the oil life monitor and change after 4 track hours. Sure adds up when the oil is $12/quart lol.
Silent_H_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 04:46 PM   #55
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_H_ View Post
The manual on my 2021 still says to ignore the oil life monitor and change after 4 track hours. Sure adds up when the oil is $12/quart lol.
Can you tell us which manual (normal vs high performance) and page number the 2021 manual says this?

I own a 2021 and was not expecting to change it every 4 track hours, as I thought that was an earlier model year reference that must have been assuming standard oil rather than synthetic.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:15 PM   #56
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegraR0064 View Post
I did not do longer than 20 minute sessions I don't think. Maybe some were slightly over, but nothing significant. Most I would come in after 10-15 though.

For me it blew during the second session of the track day. The first session had actually only been a couple laps due to someone getting black flagged. So it was basically the beginning.

I had done maybe 6-7 days of track time at that point?

I was doing OEM oil change intervals due to over confidence in the motor, when the motor blew it was actually getting close to needing an oil change (7000 miles). In the future I'm going to change the oil significantly more often as that may have been a part of why. I'm thinking every 2 or 3 track days but was planning on researching more.
Yeah I can't imagine going 7000 miles if running the car on the track. That's asking too much from an oil change.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote