Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-05-2021, 05:50 PM   #71
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green

40 years ago (high school), we were told the world was going into a second ice age and all petroleum would be exhausted in 20 years. Overpopulation would cause a “life boat” dynamic where some would be left to die.

Then, in the early 90s it changed to global warming. Then in the 2000 to climate change because it could be cold or hot.

IIRC. The “inconvenient truth” told us sea levels would rise 60 meters in 10 years causing the US coasts to be under water. I think that was 15 years ago.

Science?

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 10-05-2021 at 06:04 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:18 PM   #72
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post

40 years ago (high school), we were told the world was going into a second ice age and all petroleum would be exhausted in 20 years. Overpopulation would cause a “life boat” dynamic where some would be left to die.

Then, in the late 80s it changed to global warming. Then to climate change because it could be cold or hot.

IIRC. The “inconvenient truth” told us sea levels would rise 60 meters in 10 years causing the US coasts to be under water. I think that was 15 years ago.

Science?
Or maybe what they meant was that if things continued the same way without any change then those predicted outcomes would be a reality. But what has happened since then? New and more efficient technologies have come forth. There have been increases in Pandemics, cancers, addictions, murders, etc, which has helped by culling the population. And other methods have helped as well. If we were still driving those carbureted engines with 4 sp transmissions and 4.56 rears on a heavy ass pure metal chassis with no cats and had huge cities like Pittsburgh with those steel mills turning their skies black, then everything you were told in highschool would be a reality right now. But change came along and staved it off. And we need to keep adapting if we as a species want to continue to have a planet that can sustain life.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:18 PM   #73
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:

40 years ago (high school), we were told the world was going into a second ice age
Have you ever researched that phenomenon to see if it was a majority of scientists and how much credit it was given at the time?

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:22 PM   #74
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
i thought the covid was supposed to take care of overpopulation...
No. The vaccine is supposed to take care of overpopulation. But when the EVs roll out you won't be able to operate it if you don't have the microchip they give you with the vaccine.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:35 PM   #75
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Lol, actually, it's the other way around. We're not the ones making the rules kid. And yes, we will follow THEIR lead if manufacturers want to remain profitable in a global market. Open your eyes. Because it sounds like you're the one who's in for a rude awakening.
I’m not a kid and been around for 63 years and have seen a lot in my days. My eyes are open and no it’s not a surprise what happens in the next 10 to 20 years.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:46 PM   #76
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
i thought the covid was supposed to take care of overpopulation...
There are about 700,000 Americans that would sadly agree with you.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:03 PM   #77
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Or maybe what they meant was that if things continued the same way without any change then those predicted outcomes would be a reality. But what has happened since then? New and more efficient technologies have come forth. There have been increases in Pandemics, cancers, addictions, murders, etc, which has helped by culling the population. And other methods have helped as well. If we were still driving those carbureted engines with 4 sp transmissions and 4.56 rears on a heavy ass pure metal chassis with no cats and had huge cities like Pittsburgh with those steel mills turning their skies black, then everything you were told in highschool would be a reality right now. But change came along and staved it off. And we need to keep adapting if we as a species want to continue to have a planet that can sustain life.
I'm not questioning the goal. Just pointing out the evolving emotional narrative used to support it.

What year did it change from tailpipe pollutants to CO2?

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 10-05-2021, 07:16 PM   #78
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
Porsche's CEO Oliver Blume has said the 911 will be ICE for a long time.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...g-time-if-ever

I really hope Porsche synthetic fuel plant is Chile is a success!
Check the price per liter and get back to us. It is way above expensive. Production costs are crazy. But if you are rich and want to track your classic Porsche in 20 or 30 years it’s your answer.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:49 PM   #79
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I’m not a kid and been around for 63 years and have seen a lot in my days. My eyes are open and no it’s not a surprise what happens in the next 10 to 20 years.
My statement was in regards to you thinking that the US was leading the way on this. We aren't. We have no say in it. I'd say the Euro and Asian markets are ruling the roost on this one and we're not even in the passenger seat. We're in the back seat and it's a 3 row SUV, lol!!
Quote:
I'm not questioning the goal. Just pointing out the evolving emotional narrative used to support it.

What year did it change from tailpipe pollutants to CO2?
It is always gonna change because as the decades pass there will be different threats. Same with viruses. There was a time when Mumps/Measles/Rubella
was a thing and then there was Tuberculosis and there was HIV/AIDS and SARS and Mad Cow disease and Swine Flu and Bird Flu and now it's Covid-19. In 10 years there will be something else. And in that time there will be other factors that will pop up in place of ICE vehicles. Who knows. Maybe the EV batteries will emit something hazardous in 50 years and then we'll have to switch to something else. And then 70 years from that point we'll be facing some new challenges from whatever technology we're using at that point. I'll be long gone by then...thank God, lol!! But maybe in 2194 on the Camaro 584 forum there will be a Coldlap and a Wytevoid debating about whaever existing tech is outgoing/incoming. LOL!!

Still there is plenty of time left to fully enjoy these vehicles. By the time the EVs become prevalent, who knows, maybe you'll have driven one and will be going on about how you just did a 2.63 0-60 on the test drive in regular mode.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:54 PM   #80
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
What would GM look like if Tim Allen was CEO? Would the Camaro live? maybe even see the Chevelle SS make a comeback?
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:54 PM   #81
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
What would GM look like if Tim Allen was CEO? Would the Camaro live? maybe even see the Chevelle SS make a comeback?
A comedian as CEO...
Name:  c33748c459aef79c20a5055fc478a2af.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  72.1 KB

Ronald Reagan -
Old 10-05-2021, 09:25 PM   #82
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
A comedian as CEO...
Attachment 1081430
Well Tim Allen and even Jay Leno know more about American cars, tastes, mechanical, and performance cars than Mary.

Mary is a bean counter. Mainly worked on the assembly line and HR and management. Her degree is in electrical engineering, hence likely why she's wanting to pimp EV so bad.

A lot of these executives are simply out of touch.

A guy at my part time job just bought a Tesla. He's b*tching because there is no charging states for over 30 miles and has to use the slow home charger.

I'd hate to see Mary having a serious say in what an EV Camaro should look like. These divisions need enthusiasts designing and consulting in the development.

Classic example is the modern GTO. Pontiac bastarized that Cavalier look a like and it wasn't popular.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:31 PM   #83
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Have you ever researched that phenomenon to see if it was a majority of scientists and how much credit it was given at the time?
Why do that when you can remain critical instead? Much easier.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:34 PM   #84
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang N’ Bang View Post
Why would ford waste the time? Gm’s marketing department is already doing the work for them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
GM is doing this on their own. Don't need Fords help. How many threads we going to get on the Camaro ending by 2024?
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote