Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-03-2019, 08:47 PM   #15
Yellow BB

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
A lift would be nice to have, but I installed mine on some wooden ramps in my garage. The install really isn't that bad. I documented in the .pdf file at the bottom of this thread (an edited version of the Hurst instructions). https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=14

The Hurst is really nice and minimizes the chances of ever missing a gear (particularly on the 2-3 shift).

I'd recommend checking out a SS 1LE (same as GMPP short shifter) at a dealer to determine if the improvement in shift feel and throw is worth it to you. Don't let the install scare you from moving forward with it though, it really isn't too bad to install on your own.

With that said, if I had a $500 voucher, I think I'd put that toward the GM lowering/handling kit -- see info here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542333
Thanks for the suggestion & supporting info. I have the magnetic ride control & I have never bottomed out, but came really close. I don’t want to lower the car any more as it already drags on some driveways & speed bumps. We use the car daily & have no intentions to take it to the track.
Yellow BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:18 PM   #16
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
I would love to replace my OEM 1LE shifter with the Hurst unit. A Hurst short-throw shifter was the only mod I made to my 2005 Mustang GT, and the difference in overall shifting was night and day. Not only shorter, but way more crisper and precise. No slop at all, like a rifle bolt. Used the Hurst for almost 10 years, and never once considered putting the stock shifter back.

I actually like the OEM shifter in my Camaro. It's not an overly long throw, and is definitely solid and rugged feeling. But no doubt the Hurst would just be amazing, even for everyday public road driving. Because of the constant interaction with the shifter, it's something you appreciate every time you get into the car.

Plus, I love that classic white cue ball look.

I would love to do it, and like working on my own car, but have to admit that the amount of effort is holding me back. I couldn't ask for better instructions than the PDF provided by user vtirocz earlier in the thread if I was going to do it.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:39 PM   #17
StPeteHyper2.0

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 2.0
Mine with Raceseng, I don't miss the shifter at all.
Attached Images

StPeteHyper2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:43 PM   #18
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
I would do the cold air intake, if not maybe the shifter would be worth it
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:05 PM   #19
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
A lift would be nice to have, but I installed mine on some wooden ramps in my garage. The install really isn't that bad. I documented in the .pdf file at the bottom of this thread (an edited version of the Hurst instructions). https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=14

The Hurst is really nice and minimizes the chances of ever missing a gear (particularly on the 2-3 shift).

I'd recommend checking out a SS 1LE (same as GMPP short shifter) at a dealer to determine if the improvement in shift feel and throw is worth it to you. Don't let the install scare you from moving forward with it though, it really isn't too bad to install on your own.

With that said, if I had a $500 voucher, I think I'd put that toward the GM lowering/handling kit -- see info here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542333
This is a nice contribution.... well done.
Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:14 PM   #20
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
I would love to replace my OEM 1LE shifter with the Hurst unit. A Hurst short-throw shifter was the only mod I made to my 2005 Mustang GT, and the difference in overall shifting was night and day. Not only shorter, but way more crisper and precise. No slop at all, like a rifle bolt. Used the Hurst for almost 10 years, and never once considered putting the stock shifter back.

I actually like the OEM shifter in my Camaro. It's not an overly long throw, and is definitely solid and rugged feeling. But no doubt the Hurst would just be amazing, even for everyday public road driving. Because of the constant interaction with the shifter, it's something you appreciate every time you get into the car.

Plus, I love that classic white cue ball look.

I would love to do it, and like working on my own car, but have to admit that the amount of effort is holding me back. I couldn't ask for better instructions than the PDF provided by user vtirocz earlier in the thread if I was going to do it.
I absolutely love the shifter and it’s one of my favorite mods. The biggest issue IMO was removal of the two pins that vtirocz addressed from the top. Because I had a lift I didn’t think about doing it that way, but doing so would have saved an hour and changed my perception of the job.

I say go for it with the updated instructions, you won’t be sorry in the end.

Added bonus - the white ball is a standard thread, so the Hurst shifter gives you an opportunity to play with different knobs.
Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:38 AM   #21
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
the gm is only 6% not worth it.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #22
s13remi

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
theres this as well. looks great. it probably has a very nice mechanical feel.
https://www.s1sequential.com/product...ttern-shifter/
s13remi is offline   Reply With Quote