Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-02-2017, 05:34 PM   #15
hvysoul

Drives: 1SS-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Did not know that, we got one from them but did not open it up, used one from one of the other manufacturers, and there new unit does not have the 2nd hole in the intake tube, i will find the cap and want not today.
Do you also offer the cap for intake side of the sound tube? I would like to remove the thing but still have stock air box. I currently have the firewall plug in my shopping cart on your site.
hvysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:31 AM   #16
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
on another thread someone used a 1" plastic patio chair cap. anything 1" will work with a clamp for the intake.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:10 PM   #17
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehartfive View Post
Ok, so you're not gonna share the GM part number with the forum?
You can clearly see the number on their picture of the part. 23342796
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #18
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
outside of the sound noise supposedly being pumped in.... I'm assuming that's the main "gain" from this mod.

my question is, is it a significant reduction in noise?

looking to do this.....I guess..... but if it doesn't really do much as far as sound reduction, then I may just leave it till boredom kicks in.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #19
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
didnt notice anything. I removed mine so I could install a catch can.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #20
jorgesvlog

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
I clicked on your link and it said page was not found?
jorgesvlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:44 PM   #21
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgesvlog View Post
I clicked on your link and it said page was not found?
Its in the sale side of the forum this link works.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...91#post9753091
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:49 AM   #22
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
outside of the sound noise supposedly being pumped in.... I'm assuming that's the main "gain" from this mod.

my question is, is it a significant reduction in noise?

looking to do this.....I guess..... but if it doesn't really do much as far as sound reduction, then I may just leave it till boredom kicks in.
To each their own, but it sounds much better without it. For me It's just goofyness, and artificial. It's unneeded underhood complexity and sounded silly. I like how much more refined the engine sounds now.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:21 PM   #23
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I removed the sound tube on mine literally about a week after I bought the car.

If you have a 3D printer or access to one, you can download the part files from Thingiverse here to do the job.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3267691 (updated version)
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3127222 (original version)
I have had these on my car for a long time now and they made a large improvement.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:12 AM   #24
Z0Tex
@texan.1le

Drives: '18 Camaro 1SS 1LE, PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
I removed the sound tube on mine literally about a week after I bought the car.

If you have a 3D printer or access to one, you can download the part files from Thingiverse here to do the job.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3267691 (updated version)
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3127222 (original version)
I have had these on my car for a long time now and they made a large improvement.
Any idea if the intake tube plug is the same or will work on an SS? I have a buddy at work who can 3D print these for me.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:01 AM   #25
DIYguy

My only known point of reference is my V6 car, so I cannot say with 100% certainty that the intake tube end plugs will fit a V8 (I presume your SS is a V8).
But no one so far out of hundreds of downloads has complained to me about that, so........ ?

The firewall plugs on the other hand should work for all gen6 cars because the holes in the firewall are all the same.

The best thing to do would be to measure the tube on the intake end.
If it is about 30mm (1.2") inside diameter and 35-45mm (1.4-1.8") in length any of the plugs I posted should work fine.
My suggestion would be to go with the threaded ones (see below) because they are the easiest to install and are the most accommodating for length.
But the three screw versions work great too and you can always have your buddy scale them length-wise when printing them.
Which ever ones you choose, print them with a high percentage of infill so they are strong.
Be sure to fill the edge troughs with silicone RTV to make good air seals.
I put RTV on the threads too so they cannot back out on their own, and so far they haven't.

If for some reason the dimensions of the intake tube end connection on your car are way different than the above, please take some measurements and a photo or two and I'll try to design something to fit.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2019, 09:43 AM   #26
Z0Tex
@texan.1le

Quote:
My only known point of reference is my V6 car, so I cannot say with 100% certainty that the intake tube end plugs will fit a V8 (I presume your SS is a V8).
But no one so far out of hundreds of downloads has complained to me about that, so........ ?

The firewall plugs on the other hand should work for all gen6 cars because the holes in the firewall are all the same.

The best thing to do would be to measure the tube on the intake end.
If it is about 30mm (1.2") inside diameter and 35-45mm (1.4-1.8") in length any of the plugs I posted should work fine.
My suggestion would be to go with the threaded ones (see below) because they are the easiest to install and are the most accommodating for length.
But the three screw versions work great too and you can always have your buddy scale them length-wise when printing them.
Which ever ones you choose, print them with a high percentage of infill so they are strong.
Be sure to fill the edge troughs with silicone RTV to make good air seals.
I put RTV on the threads too so they cannot back out on their own, and so far they haven't.

If for some reason the dimensions of the intake tube end connection on your car are way different than the above, please take some measurements and a photo or two and I'll try to design something to fit.
We'll certainly see if they fit or work on my LT1. My buddy is going to print the screw-together plugs for me this weekend. It may take me a couple of weeks or so to try to install them since I have a lot going on right now and I'm losing the car for a weekend coming up to get it corrected and ceramic coated. I also need to source some 1/8" CC foam, a fender washer, and some more fuel tubing so I can relocate my catch can after the delete is done. I will update you on if it fits as soon as I can. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #27
DIYguy

Smile

You are most welcome and I will be very curious to find out. Thanks!
If worst comes to worst, I will be happy to design a plug for you that RTV's in from the outside with a flange to prevent it from possibly being sucked in.
I could also design it to have small ribs to make a tight press fit.
Because on the V8s the plug is on the top side that shouldn't be an issue, whereas on the V6s it is on the bottom and the tube is very thin so it needs something to clamp it into place (hence the two part inner/outer design).

The closed cell foam and fender washer are available from almost any home improvement store.
I used this foam specifically-
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-...lation/3427634
It is also very useful stuff when chasing rattles and air leaks in cars so I always keep a roll of it on hand.
And it can be used for its original purpose (pipe wrap) if your car's A/C pipes sweat a lot or you just want to cover them up.
But any closed-cell foam tape that is about 1/8" thick will work fine.
Wrap it around the plug face against the firewall.
You don't want to go too thick though because it will only make the plug more difficult to push in while twisting it into position.
The fender washer is optional, however if you can find one it does help clamp the plug securely against the firewall and prevent it from warping (it is only printed plastic after all).
Old 04-10-2019, 11:39 AM   #28
Z0Tex
@texan.1le

Quote:
You are most welcome and I will be very curious to find out. Thanks!
If worst comes to worst, I will be happy to design a plug for you that RTV's in from the outside with a flange to prevent it from possibly being sucked in.
I could also design it to have small ribs to make a tight press fit.
Because on the V8s the plug is on the top side that shouldn't be an issue, whereas on the V6s it is on the bottom and the tube is very thin so it needs something to clamp it into place (hence the two part inner/outer design).

The closed cell foam and fender washer are available from almost any home improvement store.
I used this foam specifically-
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-...lation/3427634
It is also very useful stuff when chasing rattles and air leaks in cars so I always keep a roll of it on hand.
And it can be used for its original purpose (pipe wrap) if your car's A/C pipes sweat a lot or you just want to cover them up.
But any closed-cell foam tape that is about 1/8" thick will work fine.
Wrap it around the plug face against the firewall.
You don't want to go too thick though because it will only make the plug more difficult to push in while twisting it into position.
The fender washer is optional, however if you can find one it does help clamp the plug securely against the firewall and prevent it from warping (it is only printed plastic after all).
I'll report back ASAP. I'll certainly take you up on your offer of a new plug design if this 2-piece one doesn't work out.

Thanks for the heads up on the foam tape. Looks like I'm headed to Lowe's today at lunch!