Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-19-2017, 10:56 PM   #15
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Welcome to the family!

Be fun to see someone else coming from FWD.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:17 PM   #16
meyouand987.2

Drives: 2011 Cayman R 2017 1LE
Great car! Also a thumbs up to Becky, I am really impressed with all the love you get, I know where I am buying from when it's time!
meyouand987.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:35 AM   #17
Zap city

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE, MN6, SGM
So badass man, CONGRATS!!
Zap city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:46 AM   #18
HyperBlueX2

Drives: '22 Silverado 2500HD Duramax LTZ
Congrats!

I hope to be doing the same thing in late February early March for my ZL1....

Becky is the greatest!
Old 01-20-2017, 08:53 AM   #19
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Welcome to the family!

Be fun to see someone else coming from FWD.
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

For sure driving different powertrain layouts is fascinating, learning their driving styles. The on-track learning curve shouldn't be too tough, given my soon to be for sale turbo Miata is kind of a 4/5ths scale 1LE.

The first thing I did with the car after leaving work yesterday was parallel park at dinner. I need to get used to such a wide car, but I found that using the rear camera lines really helps with perspective and I nailed the parking job perfectly on the first try.

My commute is mostly urban Interstate (I-696 from Novi to Berkley for the SE Michiganders), and the 1LE is an amazing cruiser. The MRC is lovely and I love the calm soothing purr of the LT1 in 6th gear. This morning it's raining cats & dogs and 32°F, and the Supercar 3's are understandably slippery, and the traction control in Tour mode is *really* good. It successfully attenuated me from intentionally trying to drift around a median turn-around. It allowed a few degrees of slip and reigned in the rest. Very cool. Thankfully I have a set of winter wheels/tires in the garage. I'll put those on this weekend.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #20
Iron Oak
Club Motorsports Track Op

Drives: STI, Land Rover and future 1LE
Damn that blue looks so good.
Iron Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:28 AM   #21
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Miss my hyper blue 1SS... looks even better with the 1LE pkg. I can't believe you think the Camaro only feels 25% bigger than the miata, I'd think it felt more like double. You definitely came from a small car background, wow. I've looked at a lot of those but just couldn't quite pull the trigger on any of them. Only small car I've had is a boxster and I only kept it a month lol.

Enjoy the car, be sure to post your track vids and experiences once it warms up a bit.
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:17 AM   #22
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Beautiful Car! Welcome and Congrats!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #23
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
Miss my hyper blue 1SS... looks even better with the 1LE pkg. I can't believe you think the Camaro only feels 25% bigger than the miata, I'd think it felt more like double. You definitely came from a small car background, wow. I've looked at a lot of those but just couldn't quite pull the trigger on any of them. Only small car I've had is a boxster and I only kept it a month lol.

Enjoy the car, be sure to post your track vids and experiences once it warms up a bit.
To me it's what makes the 1LE package so impressive; it makes the weight vanish and it feels much smaller than its dimensions indicate.

I'll definitely post some PDR video from track days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSD View Post
Congratulations, I wish I would have waited for the 1LE, but I got a great deal on a 2SS with MRC instead. Get ready for a whole new driving technique compared to a miata. The camaro has so much power everywhere. I've had 3 miatas similar to yours over the years 91, 94, 2000. Fun cars, wish I kept my last one, I miss it already. You are going to love the 1LE. My 2ss is fun but it feels huge on tight miata roads. It handles great for a bigger, heavier car. Not like a go-kart, but much faster overall on a track than a miata.
Thank you very much. Just for perspective, my turbo Miata is highly prepared and developed with 2.4x the power of stock, bespoke ANZE/Penske, and 20 pistons of Wilwood, etc ad nauseam. It has a similar power-to-weight as the SS at 8.5 Lb/HP vs. 8.2 Lb/HP. They both pale to my now-sold Exige S at 6.4 Lb/HP. I also ride a Triumph Daytona 675R, with me astride comes out to 4.3 Lb/HP. Quick isn't new to me.

I test drove a 2SS last year and enjoyed it immensely, however I have to be honest the 1LE is distinctly more focused as a track car. The Track setting on the 2SS MRC feels roughly comparable to the Tour setting on the 1LE. Admittedly this may be too firm for some [most?] people, but it's rather comfortable for track rats like me that are used to crazy high wheel frequencies.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:07 PM   #24
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Woah I need to update this thread!

IMG_0123.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

IMG_0127.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

IMG_0135.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

IMG_0137.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

This was at a friend's shop for a big get-together. They insisted I pull the car in and rev it up for some loud NPP goodness. They literally applauded afterwards, very exciting!

IMG_0159.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

IMG_0160.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

IMG_0167.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

Here's my winter setup: Verde from Tire Rack, 19x8.5 et15 front and rear with Pirelli Sottozero 3's in 245/45-19. Nice and narrow for cutting through the snow, but definitely missing a bunch of dry grip compared to the Supercar 3 steamrollers!

Weekend by Ryephile, on Flickr
Old 03-14-2017, 04:14 PM   #25
Chief8404
HMC(ret)

Drives: 2017 1LE(Traded In for a truck)
Man that blue looks amazing. Congrats!
Chief8404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:17 PM   #26
Ryephile
Hot Dog

At 941 miles I did a break-in oil change.
*AC Delco PF64 filter
*10 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 Dexos 1 [it's winter and I'm on the street, don't panic!]
*2.7 quarts of AMSoil Manual Syncromesh transmission fluid. Incidentally about 2.5 quarts drained out via gravity, which was a bit below the bottom edge of the fill plug. Now the fluid is basically level with the fill plug.

The AMSoil Syncromesh is a trans fluid I've been using in my track cars for years, um, getting closer to decades. It handles heat very well and makes syncros work better than most other fluids, even the Motorcraft Unicorn Tears and the magic cocktail of Pennzoil and Redline. In any case the factory TR-6060 fluid refused to let me put the car in 2nd when it was stone cold with ambient's less than 30°F. Immediately after the fluid change, 2nd gear is no longer an issue. Perfect. As usual.

I will comment that almost exactly 10 quarts came out of the engine, so for the break-in there was essentially zero consumption. I also sent a sample to Blackstone. I don't have a postable scan handy but the long and short is the copper and iron ppm was quite low for a factory fill, emphasizing that the engines are dry run long enough for a majority break-in and then fresh oil is put in. Also my factory fill was a xW-20 weight, with an 8.35 cST at 100°C.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:18 PM   #27
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
looking good, this is my first blue car and first Camaro ever and I am also very happy with it so far. I liked the winter setup also
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:23 PM   #28
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Ok, just for the record my car's name is "Astro", with a license plate to match.

The 1LE was involved in his first controversy a few weeks ago when I helped my co-worker drop off his now-illegal VW Golf TDI [6-speed manual!] for the Dieselgate buy-back. Admittedly he was reimbursed very well given the car had north of 150k miles on it.

IMG_0206.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr