Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #1
Warslater

Drives: Black 2013 1SS/RS Gen 5
Exclamation How to take apart the front badge.

Is there anyway to take the clear part off the chevy bowtie to only have the textured part? was wanting to keep the texture but change the color.

Thanks guys always appreciate the help.

--Sir Henry Royce
Warslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:10 PM   #2
trodecke

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS CRT
I'm not 100% positive what clear part you're referring to. Mine has chrome around it. However, if you want to change the color of the textured part (the part that's currently yellow), there's lots of ways to do it. I used Plasti-Dip on mine to black it out. I left the chrome edge but blacked out the yellow part. There's lots of colors of Plasti-Dip and the nice thing is, if you don't like it you can just pull it off.

There are also vinyl applications you can get that will go over the yellow part and change the color that way.

You can even order a replacement bowtie from any of a number of vendors that have a different color than yellow.

trodecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:45 AM   #3
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
The center part of the Bowtie looks molded together or 1 piece as the back textured side is just how it was made as I believe the painted portion is just on the back of the texture. It's also difficult to remove the center piece of the emblem without damaging the emblem or center piece.

WTB - 2010 Camaro 1SS or 2SS, Aqua Blue Metallic, A6
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:48 AM   #4
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Not sure what bowtie you are referring to, but the OEM is yellow plastic inset set into a chrome substrate. If you want to replace the insert many places make replaceable inserts that you can put into the substrate without removing it. Just need some patience. I've done this a couple of times.
1 To be safe, cover the chrome part with painters tape.
2 Using a 1/4 drill bit slowly drill into the yellow insert until you are just through it going into the chrome substrate behind as little as possible. You may want to do this in a couple of places.
3 Using a small flat blade screwdriver, start from the holes you drilled and pry out the insert. It will break into pieces but the object is to get it out. Be careful around the edges to not damage the outer chrome even though you taped it over.
4 Using an adhesive remover clean the residue from the chrome substrate. You are now ready to install the new insert.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:44 AM   #5
Warslater

Zed do you have a link to the inserts?

--Sir Henry Royce
Old 04-11-2016, 08:30 AM   #6
Mels RS

Drives: 2015 2LT/RS Vert
Seems like a lot of extra work to me. I simply taped off the chrome, scuffed up the gold with scotch-bright, and sprayed with flat black Krylon. Took maybe 10 minutes, including removal and replacement, and looks great.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
Mels RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:00 AM   #7
Warslater

Mel yeah its prob a lot of extra work but I love the way that texture looks.

--Sir Henry Royce
Old 04-11-2016, 09:41 AM   #8
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warslater View Post
Zed do you have a link to the inserts?
Here is a link to some at Chevymall, although they didn't cost this much when I bought them. You might check around their sight for other options. I left the front one black and had the rear painted CF to match my spoiler and stripe.

http://www.chevymall.com/2010-2013-C...uctinfo/JS437/

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:59 AM   #9
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Is there anyway to take the clear part off the chevy bowtie to only have the textured part? was wanting to keep the texture but change the color.

Thanks guys always appreciate the help.
I know what you're trying to accomplish. Just not sure of it can be done with the Camaro bowtie. I know the full size Chevy truck/SUV guys have been doing what you want for years. They'd remove the front bowtie and heat it to separate the gold part for the backing. Then spray the gold painted backside with oven cleaner. Yeah. Oven cleaner. This would cause the gold paint to easily come off without damaging the plastic. Then they'd put it all back together and it would have the same textured look but in a different color.

If I have a spare Camaro front bow tie, I'd give it a try.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:23 AM   #10
rickwelch69

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Turbo 4
my center (gold) pieces popped right out real easy, then scuffed and painted and used some silicone adhesive to put back in the chrome shell. I have a tool for taking draws out of my snap-on tool boxes that worked great, it is a flat piece of spring steel with a little bend in it, fit nicely between the chrome and the gold center. center just popped off, just a little adhesive holding it in there...... Totally free!
rickwelch69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:06 AM   #11
Mels RS

Drives: 2015 2LT/RS Vert
Quote:
Mel yeah its prob a lot of extra work but I love the way that texture looks.
Didn't affect the texture. Did the earlier models not have the texture?
Maybe that's the difference.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
Mels RS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1ss, camaro, chevy bowtie, how to