Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #43
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
All depends on what exactly you have to have and what you don't. I ordered mine from the factory as 1SS + LE + NPP + Back up Camera. The back up Camera is essential, and can be added separately. I added the gauge cluster myself, it is plug and play and can be found as a complete kit for less than $400 online many places. Those two things (Back up camera and gauge cluster) were the only options not standard with 1SS that were must haves for me.

Two side notes:

-Recaros can be added to 1SS or 2SS, I opted against because I don't like leather seats period, and there was no cloth Recaro option, so I passed.

-Bluetooth connectivity is standard in 1SS as well as 2SS, so no worries on that front.

RS, liked halogen headlights better, didn't like chrome strip on front, already had 1LE appearance items, passed on that. Don't like sunroof, don't like HUD, don't care what sound system is in the thing. Heated seats are pointless if you garage the car all winter.. Gosh, I'm easy to please as long as it is stylish and has all available performance options..

Just decide what you have to have and what you can do without, then find the best way to configure that vehicle. Doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks is essential, just pay for what matters to you. That way you truly won't have any regrets.
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:48 PM   #44
sledgehammer

Drives: 2014 Convertible LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorRhone View Post
First, I have a Google Music subscription, which is similar to Spotify. I want to know if the BT option will stream music with decent quality, and show album + titles. My current Pioneer head unit does this and I forgot to test that functionality at dealer, during my test drive.

BT works great with Google Music, though it doesn't always display the correct album art, minor complaint!

Next, are the NAV options only available thru OnStar subscription?

You can use NAV on the MyLink head unit without Onstar. Onstar gets you directions in the HUD/DIC. The only thing I miss about having the Onstar nav option is the ability to send directions/locations from the Onstar app directly to the Mylink head unit. This was great since I could look up address' on the app much easier then on the head unit! Though I do tend to use google nav on the phone I have no complaints when I have used the Mylink NAV (mostly on longer trips)

I thought it would be awesome to have a HUD, especially when it can display navigation. However in my experience, car navigation is worlds behinds Google Maps or Waze. Any comments on this? Things change quickly, so perhaps the navigation is very useful. It is certainly annoying to take long trips ( > 2 hours ) using phone navi.

I never use the HUD for NAV (need Onstar) but use it all the time for the other options. Love the g-meter and shift light page! I'd say the HUD is a must
The HUD on my 2014 shows driving directions from My Link Nav and I don't have an onstar subscription. It shows turns as they come up and has a nice bar graph that shows how close the next turn is. But it only shows this info when you are close to turning.
sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #45
ProfessorRhone

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledgehammer View Post
The HUD on my 2014 shows driving directions from My Link Nav and I don't have an onstar subscription. It shows turns as they come up and has a nice bar graph that shows how close the next turn is. But it only shows this info when you are close to turning.
Good to know. I thought it cut out when I dropped that part of the Onstar but I guess I just didn't give it enough time on that page. I'll have to check that out again though
Dual-Mode, Recaros, Sunroof, Nav
----------------------------------------
ZL1 Rockers
RPI Stealth Splash Guards
De-badged (except blacked-out front bowtie)
ProfessorRhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:35 PM   #46
Motopsycho

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have a 2SS with the Boston Acoustic system and honestly I'm not that impressed with it. It can sound decent with the right music playing, but overall I don't think it's worth the extra loot. The bluetooth is nice, but streaming audio quality is lacking and somewhat flat. I've never been impressed with any factory system no matter what the brand is. My Bose system in my 2009 Silverado is the same way. I guess it's better than what it might be if I didn't have the upgraded system. I've got a pair of JL Audio 6x9s that I've had laying around for sometime that would kick the ass of any Boston Acoustic speaker in my Camaro. I should put those in, but I don't want to go through the hassle.

In any case, buy what you can afford and spend a little extra if you have to if you really think you want those extra goodies. I've always regretted it when I didn't, now I always buy cars that are fully loaded because I KNOW I'll be looking for ways to upgrade my vehicle with those options I could of had.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #47
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
If I recall, The BT option was part of the Connectivity package also available in the 1SS...
Correct. My 2013 1SS has Bluetooth connectivity.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:44 PM   #48
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
The best thing about my 2SS is the Recaro seats. If I had to replace my car, I would not accept a Camaro that didn't have them. Second on the list is the HUD. I didn't even want it when I bought the car, but now I can't live without it. It's a really nice feature.
Funny thing is my '14 1SS 1LE best thing inside is the recaro seats too and they are leather with alcantara centers just like yours and I have bluetooth.

The 2SS has more bells and whistles and Cadillac quality's. But I like bare minimum strippers and least amount of gadgets to go bad later is better for me too. (I had a Bonneville SSE with windows and radio that were in control by a poltergeist or poor decision making by GM.)

If I want gauges I can't see, I can buy them and install them for $300. If I want heated seats, I just order the knob panel for A/C and hook up the harness from the Recaro seat. If I want to see how fast I am going I can look at the speedo.

If I am worried about weight vs a new camaro 6th gen or mustang PP, I would by a 1SS 1LE and not the piggy Wiggley 2SS.

If I am throwing fuel on the fire

a 1LE 1SS with a supercharger added on is better buy then a ZL1

add a gernade

A 1LE 1SS is a camshaft and longtubes away from a Z28

Time to drop a Nuke

Really a 1LE 1SS with recaro's, NPP, is the Best Buy of any car made today.

Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:43 PM   #49
CoupeSS

Drives: 2013 Coupe 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
I am extremely impressed with the Boston Acoustics sound. I know some add booming bass boxes, but I'm not into the window rattling - the Boston Acoustics has a very clean and strong sound (I have my own audio studio so am very precise on sound quality). I am a Bose lover and my Vette's and Miata have Bose systems... but the Boston Acoustics blows them away, to be honest.

I disagree, I too have Bose products everywhere, my home theater, headphones etc.....there are two things on my 2SS I am disappointed with. 1) parking brake location 2) premium audio Boston Acustics, I don't feel like it's premium or strong, the mid range and treble are clear but it has very week bass and if you put a bass heavy song on I feel like the speakers are going to blow. Since I mostly listen to country or old rock that's not a big issue for me. But, I do feel it's not up to par. My wifesVW CC has a better sound system.
CoupeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:47 PM   #50
CoupeSS

Drives: 2013 Coupe 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorRhone View Post
Good to know. I thought it cut out when I dropped that part of the Onstar but I guess I just didn't give it enough time on that page. I'll have to check that out again though
My 2SS does not have NAV but we use our On Star turn by turn a lot and like it, it displays on HUD and My Link. Since its On Star it will always be up to date info. My Bluetooth works great, but I am a Sirus xm user so again not an issue. Good luck....
CoupeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:28 AM   #51
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
I'm wondering if mine is a true 2SS trim. The only thing I don't have is HUD. Heated leather seats, check. Zenon HID's, check. Bluetooth Boston premium sound system, check. Sunroof, check. Brembo brakes, check. That seems to be the only thing I'm missing.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:21 AM   #52
JGS

Drives: 2015 2SS LS3 NPP/1LE/ Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010reddevil View Post
I'm wondering if mine is a true 2SS trim. The only thing I don't have is HUD. Heated leather seats, check. Zenon HID's, check. Bluetooth Boston premium sound system, check. Sunroof, check. Brembo brakes, check. That seems to be the only thing I'm missing.
HUD was introduced in the 2011's....there is no 2010's 2SS with HUD unless it was installed at a later time.
JGS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, 1ss, 2ss