Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-22-2019, 11:14 AM   #17809
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
An engineer at work that I know who used to work at Ford told me the GT500 laps within a second of the Ford GT. Can't recall what track though :(

He also predicted a whopping price.
MotorTrend Figure8? jk

In all seriousness though, I know that Ford did a hot lap over at VIR with the GT and claimed a record (which was immediately broken by the Corvette if I remember correctly). But who knows what other ones they went to and kept the data to themselves.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:35 AM   #17810
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I just looked around online and it looks like the street GT was only run at VIR and Willow Springs in the US. If it’s within a second of that car, that’s pretty impressive.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:14 PM   #17811
Gbland60

Drives: 2015 z28 Black w/ac #645
Yes. Pretty impressive i would say also. Especially when compared to 16 ACR . But 15 Z06 ? Not knocking the car(2020 GT500)but for the price difference, between the 2 , of what rumors have it starting out , not too impressive . Could just be driver and track conditions. Guess we'll see . My problem is comparing it to the ZL1/1LE with it's manual,opposed to the quick shifting DCT . I guess Chevrolet will match the Auto19 ZR1 up against it to have a relatively close comparison. Price wise that is w/o any ADM's .
Gbland60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:34 PM   #17812
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Are You kidding me??? They screwed up the fascia design, and unlike the aging Dodge products they don't go the extra mile and give customers what they're asking for. If they drop it again it will be unforgivable, IMO.

GM neither confirms nor denies the Camaro's imminent demise.

Could Chevrolet be on the verge of killing the Camaro again? A new report from Muscle Cars and Trucks alleges that might well happen after 2023, which is when the current sixth-generation ‘Maro is slated to end production. The report cites “multiple sources” at General Motors as saying the next-generation Camaro program is suspended, with no apparent future beyond 2023. Those sources also allegedly say the nameplate will likely get shelved, meaning no more Camaro for the second time in the pony car’s history. We contacted GM to see if there’s any truth to the claim, and received this official statement:

“While we will not engage in speculation, we will remind you of our recently announced updates coming to the Camaro lineup this fall. An all-new LT1 model will provide customers V8 power with the design and affordability of our LT trim. The award-winning SS model will feature a new front fascia from the Camaro Shock concept. All of our updates are customer-driven to improve the car and its driving experience.”

That’s certainly not a denial, but neither is it a final nail in Camaro’s coffin. Going strictly by sales the future indeed looks grim; deliveries for the sixth-generation Camaro have fallen steadily since its 2016 introduction, with just under 51,000 finding homes in 2018. That’s the lowest sales year by far since Camaro’s revival in 2009, and figures through the first three months of 2019 are only marginally better. The ill-received 2019 facelift could be to blame for that, and to Chevrolet’s credit, another facelift for 2020 brings back a more traditional look to the front of the car. Also, it’s worth noting that sales for the Ford Mustang are also down in recent years, though not quite as extreme. It will be interesting to see if Camaro sales rebound for the 2020 model year with its fresh face.

Beyond that, the report from Muscle Cars and Trucks also points out that the Camaro’s chassis is shared with the now-defunct Cadillac ATS and CTS. That’s not to say a next-generation Camaro couldn’t transition to another platform, but the report also highlights the various Team Camaro members that GM has sent to other projects. Put it all together, and frankly, there a great case supporting the cancellation claim.

Camaro's Struggles:
2020 Chevrolet Camaro Saves Face, Shows Its New Grille
Challenger Outsells Camaro, Mustang Reigns Supreme In 2018

If we had to guess (and we do), we’d say GM will be watching Camaro – and Mustang – sales very closely over the next 12 months. If there are signs of life, there’s no reason to believe the automaker couldn’t push forward with a new plan. If, however, sales continue to underwhelm, we might well see Chevrolet’s warhorse put out to pasture yet again. Source: Muscle Cars and Trucks"
Old 06-26-2019, 01:57 PM   #17813
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I’m not surprised. They played it safe with styling and ignored the major criticism of the 5th gen.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:29 PM   #17814
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Correct! They always play it safe. For niche vehicles you have to go all the way for the top models, ie HellCat's Demon's etc.

My company suffers from the same, we give you what we think you should have not what you want.

Last edited by 2cnd chance; 06-26-2019 at 02:41 PM.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:42 PM   #17815
zcarczar

Drives: 15 Z/28
And like I said in the other post, they are full steam ahead on EV and autonomous cars everything else be damned. Every communication or dealer meeting I go to it's all they are talking about. It's unfortunate because the demise of the gas engine is many many years down the road and they will alienate a TON of customers by going solely electric and autonomous. Not to mention there recent styling decisions leave a lot to be desired.

But I digress, I'll enjoy my Z/28 and I'm looking forward to getting the new Corvette into my store and hopefully the "real" V-series Cadillacs will be worthy of the badge when they finally get here.
zcarczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:47 PM   #17816
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

GM used to have some of the most attractive cars, now they're somewhat bland. I hope the new Vette has a very forward design.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:13 PM   #17817
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Since when do random blog posts get treated as gospel? As opposed to, you know, clickbait. By posting 1 wild-ass story, they have now gotten practically every Camaro fan on the internet to visit their site to read their 'story', thus generating both ad revenue and an incentive to create more BS.

When we were talking about this in Fen's thread, about half a dozen of us in a row had never even heard of that site before. When I'm not familiar with a site, I automatically distrust what it says. When a bunch of similar car-buffs also haven't heard of it, it sets off alarm bells. You need to be really skeptical of stuff like this.

A few tips to live by in this modern information age:

• Don't share stories unless you know you can trust the source.
  • If you don't know the source, you probably shouldn't trust it.
  • Reputable places reposting BS from a no-name blog doesn't add credibility to the story -it reduces credibility from the 'reputable' company
  • If a headline seems explicitly designed to trigger an emotional response (rather than honestly inform), its likely wrong in at least one way
Most of that can apply to more than just crap that shows up on Facebook. Treat talk radio the same way. And gossip. Tabloidy newspapers. 'Personality driven' cable news shows. Podcasts. Just about anything really. Being skeptical doesn't mean rejecting or denying something outright, but pausing to decide how credible something is first -then you can accept or reject. But you have to put some genuine thought into it first, which obviously takes more effort. The payoff, if enough people do it, is less incentive for BS to be created in the first place. Which would be awesome. At the very least, don't "rage share" crap from blogs.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 06-26-2019, 04:26 PM   #17818
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
As I posted in the other thread, this should have been your red flag. Super clickbait "article".

Fully sick and tired of being tagged and convo'd by friends/family/"friends who are trying to make fun of me due to my deep love for my car and brand" over this. Of COURSE they aren't going to talk about the future right now.
Attached Images

MrRaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:52 PM   #17819
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Since when do random blog posts get treated as gospel? As opposed to, you know, clickbait. By posting 1 wild-ass story, they have now gotten practically every Camaro fan on the internet to visit their site to read their 'story', thus generating both ad revenue and an incentive to create more BS.

When we were talking about this in Fen's thread, about half a dozen of us in a row had never even heard of that site before. When I'm not familiar with a site, I automatically distrust what it says. When a bunch of similar car-buffs also haven't heard of it, it sets off alarm bells. You need to be really skeptical of stuff like this.

A few tips to live by in this modern information age:

• Don't share stories unless you know you can trust the source.
  • If you don't know the source, you probably shouldn't trust it.
  • Reputable places reposting BS from a no-name blog doesn't add credibility to the story -it reduces credibility from the 'reputable' company
  • If a headline seems explicitly designed to trigger an emotional response (rather than honestly inform), its likely wrong in at least one way
Most of that can apply to more than just crap that shows up on Facebook. Treat talk radio the same way. And gossip. Tabloidy newspapers. 'Personality driven' cable news shows. Podcasts. Just about anything really. Being skeptical doesn't mean rejecting or denying something outright, but pausing to decide how credible something is first -then you can accept or reject. But you have to put some genuine thought into it first, which obviously takes more effort. The payoff, if enough people do it, is less incentive for BS to be created in the first place. Which would be awesome. At the very least, don't "rage share" crap from blogs.
Understood, but it was posted on MSN’s auto page. Please notice I said “if” in my opening comment.
What really got me was GM’s response:

“While we will not engage in speculation, we will remind you of our recently announced updates coming to the Camaro lineup this fall. An all-new LT1 model will provide customers V8 power with the design and affordability of our LT trim. The award-winning SS model will feature a new front fascia from the Camaro Shock concept. All of our updates are customer-driven to improve the car and its driving experience.”
Old 06-26-2019, 06:19 PM   #17820
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Understood, but it was posted on MSN’s auto page. Please notice I said “if” in my opening comment.
What really got me was GM’s response:

But MSN was not the source of the 'Camaro is getting cancelled' story, Muscle Cars & Trucks is. See Bulletpoint #3

What was wrong with GM's response? Validating (that is, either confirming or denying) random rumours from blogs just invites more stories of dubious credibility. That would be the worst possible thing to do.

And they may as well use the opportunity to make mention of the newest changes to the lineup. Makes more sense than not mentioning the LT1 or styling tweaks. Lastly, for once the standard PR line about being 'customer driven' is pretty accurate -given how much complaining there has been about the refresh and the 6th gen's price.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 06-26-2019, 06:45 PM   #17821
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

With Ford and GM axing cars in favor of SUV’s Ford has stated the Mustang is safe, however GM has not said anything regarding the Camaro. When asked why would they not say, of course it’s continuing on, if they believe in the Camaro? I’m not saying they’re getting rid of it, I’m just concerned they may...again.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:14 PM   #17822
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
GM is very consistent in not commenting on future vehicles. GM wouldn’t announce this until the start of the last model, if even tha early.

For now it’s in production with no factual indication otherwise. And most assuredly they aren’t going to announce a date for a Gen7

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014