Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-03-2022, 07:04 AM   #29
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Drives: 2018 ZL1 & 2022 Hayabusa
With how crazy quick EVs are getting and how many inexperienced driver's getting behind the wheel without really comprehending how fast the car actually is, thank goodness for modern electronics in EVs to keep them straight and on the asphalt. Had it not been for that, it'd probably be unreal how many would be wrecked by now.

A cousin of mine has ordered '20 Charger Hellcat, yet ended up in a Tesla 3P not long before it was built. I very briefly looked at 3P before the ZL1, couldn't get pass the looks. When I walk into my garage to go to work, I'd be disappointed opening the garage door only to see a Model 3 sitting there. I'd get bored of driving it quickly and don't wanna look at it so decision was easy, lol.
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
2022 Suzuki Hayabusa - Brilliant White Pearl & Shocker Yellow Wheels
- +4 Arm, 240 OEM Wheel, Brock's CT (Ti) Exhaust, 1.25" drop, etc...

Last edited by infinitereality; 03-03-2022 at 07:27 AM.
infinitereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 07:11 AM   #30
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
They're insanely fast in a quiet rollercoaster kind of way. Exciting for the first few times and for a couple of minutes, but then there isn't much left to create an experience. Then again, as I said elsewhere, these cars have their own perfectly valid uses.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 07:54 AM   #31
PJS57

Drives: 2023 Cadillac CT4
I'm all for getting an EV for a daily driver - lower operating costs less maintenance. That said I still need a carbon burning car that makes the right noises for fun so I won't be getting rid of at least one V8 powered car for now.

As for future values, I wouldn't think a well taken care of ZL1 would lose very much - if any. You're better off investing in an S&P500 fund than a brand new ZL1 though if you're looking for a ROI in 10+ years.
PJS57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:15 AM   #32
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
Electric cars are crazy. The Tesla Model X plaids are coming out soon. You're going to have soccer moms making low 9 sec passes on the way home from the grocery store.
I predict that as the performance of pedestrian EV's in the family car category start to get crazy fast, the manufacturers will be getting sued for producing dangerous, deadly vehicles. The average soccer mom or dad, let alone the hormone infused teen with a freshly minted license has no business in a vehicle capable of 3.x sec 0 - 60 & sub 11 sec 1/4 mile times.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 10:08 AM   #33
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
EVs have their uses and place. My only objection in this big changeover, is that EVs are forced by government onto the economy and population by wasteful buying incentives for EVs, and wasteful and punishing regulations and restrictions on ICE vehicles by unattainable MPG and CO2 mandates.

Government is threatening to dismantle the petroleum industry and its well-proven infrastructure for supplying needed energy, while simultaneously offering nothing in its place. EVs bring forth their own problems in terms of mining, battery disposal, a nascent charging grid, questionable environmental advantages, depreciation, range anxiety, etc.

And we all know that government is run by fools and imbeciles. Surely, we have to question this headlong rush to EVs, pushed by the fools who rule us.

If EVs were "the future," like we are all told, they would not need to be subsidized, while current technology would not be thrown away.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 10:12 AM   #34
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
Electric cars are crazy. The Tesla Model X plaids are coming out soon. You're going to have soccer moms making low 9 sec passes on the way home from the grocery store.

I've always thought that it's more fun to be fast in something that doesn't look fast vs be fast in something that's expected to be fast (sleeper effect). While I love my Camaro, there's just something about overtaking someone in a basic vehicle. My daily driver Leaf (the larger battery, which makes it a tad bit quicker than the typical Leaf) has instant torque (as all EVs do, obviously) and just goes from a stop. When a BMW driver (seems to be mostly the 3-series drivers) pulls up beside me at a light thinking that they'll accelerate past my lowly little Nissan to cut in front of me to get into the correct turn lane only to be denied because I have instant torque off the line, there's just something about making a BMW driver tuck their tail between their legs and file in behind your "turdly little car".

My honest opinion on what GM needs to do with the Camaro is make it a hybrid. Throw in a really restricted V8 (for MPG) with an electric motor that gets the Camaro going off the line. After about 30 MPH, let the V8 take over. This will give us the visceral grown of a V8 but with the quickness of an EV. A Camaro that gets 35-40 MPG and has a V8 would be preferred over Ford's SUV Mustang, IMO.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 10:59 AM   #35
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
The first 60 seconds of this hooked me on V8s for life.

I'll say more later.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 11:02 AM   #36
Mister Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
And we all know that government is run by fools and imbeciles. Surely, we have to question this headlong rush to EVs, pushed by the fools who rule us.

If EVs were "the future," like we are all told, they would not need to be subsidized, while current technology would not be thrown away.
If we were being honest. Look at the how the politicians who are pushing EVs are doing right now.
Should we really be listening to them?
Old 03-03-2022, 11:04 AM   #37
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
If we were being honest. Look at the how the politicians who are pushing EVs are doing right now.
Should we really be listening to them?

Are we counting Putin as one of those "politicians"?
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 11:31 AM   #38
DarkKnyte

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojas View Post
And the biggest problem is charging infrastructure - and house wiring, and utility... Not ready for simultaneous charging all the EVs around the block at once...
I don't think that's the case. Telsa chargers use ~7,500 watts during bulk/constant current recharge mode, then that declines pretty significantly during the float/constant voltage mode. The bulk charge mode is only 40 minutes from 10% SOC. By 1 hour, you're only drawing at most 50% of max. If you don't go below 50% SOC, you might be on bulk charge mode only a few minutes. People don't all get home at the same time either.

Even at full power that is roughly equivalent to a typical electric dryer or 50 gal HWH, and about half of the electric elements in a typical heat pump furnace or tankless HWH.

Charging at work is also quickly becoming a fad. That shifts the power usage onto a more robust 3 phase commercial power infrastructure.

People parrot concerns over adding EV fleets our electrical distribution system, but it's really a non issue. If anything is needed, power companies will be upgrading their equipment at roughly the same rate the general public turns over their cars anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
Well, he's speaking in Russian. I'm not sure anyone here is actually listening to him.
DarkKnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 12:14 PM   #39
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
No, we are not.

Putin has not threatened to push me into electric cars. Putin has also not threatened to take my guns away, keep open the southern border, or treat me like a terrorist if I object to his policies. Putin is not the problem in this country.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 12:17 PM   #40
mariojas

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6 & 2023 Stinger GT AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnyte View Post
I don't think that's the case. Telsa chargers use ~7,500 watts during bulk/constant current recharge mode, then that declines pretty significantly during the float/constant voltage mode. The bulk charge mode is only 40 minutes from 10% SOC. By 1 hour, you're only drawing at most 50% of max. If you don't go below 50% SOC, you might be on bulk charge mode only a few minutes. People don't all get home at the same time either. .
Good to know. So the only high usage would need to be handled for longer trips than daily commute. But longer trips would be taken care of by super-chargers in place of a gas stations.

Charger sold! Better to sell, than waiting to be stolen...
mariojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 12:43 PM   #41
mRahmani

Drives: ‘23 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
Most of the popular EVs don’t qualify. Tesla and GM both used up their EV subsidy credits, so anybody buying those cars is paying full price. Ford, Kia, and others are on track to run out of EV subsidies soon as well.

But if we’re going to talk about subsidies, we need to talk about taking away the billions of dollars we give the oil industry every year. $10/gallon for gas would change the calculus a lot.
mRahmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 01:29 PM   #42
Mister Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnyte View Post
I don't think that's the case. Telsa chargers use ~7,500 watts during bulk/constant current recharge mode, then that declines pretty significantly during the float/constant voltage mode. The bulk charge mode is only 40 minutes from 10% SOC. By 1 hour, you're only drawing at most 50% of max. If you don't go below 50% SOC, you might be on bulk charge mode only a few minutes. People don't all get home at the same time either.

Even at full power that is roughly equivalent to a typical electric dryer or 50 gal HWH, and about half of the electric elements in a typical heat pump furnace or tankless HWH.

Charging at work is also quickly becoming a fad. That shifts the power usage onto a more robust 3 phase commercial power infrastructure.

People parrot concerns over adding EV fleets our electrical distribution system, but it's really a non issue. If anything is needed, power companies will be upgrading their equipment at roughly the same rate the general public turns over their cars anyhow.
Here in California, we can't turn on all of our A/Cs at the same time. They ask us to keep our A/C and major appliances (like Washing machines and Dryers) off until after 9 PM. So how are we suppose to charge 20 million EVs while running our washers, dryers, and A/Cs? The numbers just don't add up.

Oh, during high wind periods California shuts off the power to prevent wild fires.

Also, in about 10 years, no fossil burning cars can be sold in California. The grid will not be ready by then.

Last edited by Mister Will; 03-03-2022 at 01:39 PM.