Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Phastek Performance

Old 07-27-2019, 02:12 AM   #15
bereic

Drives: Camaro SS 2018 Convertible
does maybe someone have a picture from the wiring harness in the overhead console?
bereic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:11 AM   #16
cgdelena

Drives: 2019 2SS
Used this on my '19 convertible...

https://www.gen5diy.com/collections/...tector-harness
cgdelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:58 AM   #17
Tannero

Drives: 2018 SS
so helpful!

Extremely helpful - no way I would of tried this without the instructions.

I was able to wiggle the entire pass side indicator loose then connect the Gen5 hardness in and bingo - no more messy cords!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDinOC View Post
Well, I'm not pulling the trim apart today, but I took a couple pics of the first couple steps to get it apart.
  1. Flip down the sun visors and remove 4 little tabs to access screw heads and remove the screws. The picture shows one of the tabs. You can pry the tabs out by pushing a thin flat blade screwdriver in the outboard edge of the tab and removing it. Try not to drop them, as they are easily lost!
  2. Use a trim removal tool to gently pry the A pillar trim loose as shown in the second picture. This trim piece doesn't need to be removed completely, as it will be held in place at the bottom end. If you want to remove it completely, you can pull it out, but it's a little hard to get it back in place, so I would say leave it dangling. Do this for both A pillars.
  3. There is another screw on each side holding the header trim in place. Once the A pillar trim is loosened, you can access those last 2 screws and remove them.
  4. With all 6 screws removed, now you can use your trim removal tools to pry the header trim piece loose. Work carefully, and eventually you'll have the whole thing free.

When I did this, as I mentioned before, I didn't completely remove the header trim piece; the rear view mirror keeps it dangling there.

For power, I tapped off the wiring harness in the passenger side A pillar for +12V DC. You can unplug the harness and probe the contacts to find the correct wires to use for ground and switched +12V. My dash cam requires USB 5V power, so I got a little power converter and stashed it behind the trim at the top of the A pillar.

Here's some of the stuff I used to get this all working:
trim removal tool kit
hardwire USB power adapter
Edit: I don't recommend using the above power supply with the Rexing cam, as the camera shuts down intermittently when powered by this device. Need to try a different one...
Rexing V1P dash cam

I have the rear camera mounted next to the OEM backup camera, but haven't gotten around to routing the wire for that rear camera all the way back up to the main dash cam unit yet. I'll need to remove a bunch of trim in order to route that cable, so I'll take some pics next time I tear it all apart again.

Good luck!
Matt
Tannero is offline   Reply With Quote