Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

AWE Tuning

Old 08-02-2022, 09:20 AM   #1
Jtodd777

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE Wild Cherry
Track Alignment for 2SS 1LE Questions

Hello Al and Camaro Team,

I have a '21 2SS 1LE and I am considering having a track alignment done. I have done a couple of autocrosses and a track day so far and I am really enjoying this car! On the front tires I am getting excessive wear on the outside shoulders. The rear tires look more evenly worn. I definitely think more negative camber in the fronts would benefit me. The manual suggests camber setting of -2.0 degrees for both fronts with .05 degrees of Toe and for the rears Camber -1.5 degrees with .05 degrees of Toe.

Is this a conservative setting as a baseline or what you have found to be an optimal setting for the car?

The reason I ask is I have seen postings by Camaro6 members where they are running more negative camber all around and they report good tire wear for track days. I've seen settings as extreme as Camber fronts -3.5 degrees, Camber rears -2.5 degrees with toe as close to 0 degrees as possible. I don't know if they have modified anything to achieve those settings. I'm trying to figure out if those settings, if achievable without modification, would benefit me vs. the high performance manual recommended track settings.

What would be the total max range of Front and Rear Camber adjustment available without modifications?

My goal is to have more even tire wear for track days and autocross.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

-Jeff
Jtodd777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:47 AM   #2
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
If you autocross or frequent a road course, I believe -2 and -1.5 is a starting point. That’s what I’m running and I still get outside shoulder wear.

You need some minor fixes like elongating the strut bolt openings on front or getting toe links in rear to get more camber. That’s my next move.

And like you mentioned, the additional camber has helped and not hurt my wear.

Ps, my goal is -2.5 to -3f and -2r and I hope to do so without the need for camber plates.
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:41 AM   #3
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
You have the F/R correct, 2 degrees and 1.5 are the max you can get without any mods to the suspension. Running more than that is either a ZLE or is modified. If you're getting that wear on the outside front I'd look at the toe. Its toe that wrecks a tire, not camber.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:42 AM   #4
Jtodd777

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE Wild Cherry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
You have the F/R correct, 2 degrees and 1.5 are the max you can get without any mods to the suspension. Running more than that is either a ZLE or is modified. If you're getting that wear on the outside front I'd look at the toe. Its toe that wrecks a tire, not camber.
Thanks!
Jtodd777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 05:32 PM   #5
RoaringV8

Drives: 2017 HBM Camaro SS 1LE Camaro
Some folks are running up to -2.7 in the front on the stock suspension from what I've seen. I've got -2.4 up front without any mods. As for the rear, I believe the max is somewhere just above -1.5 (maybe -1.8??). To get more rear camber you'll need to upgrade the rear lower control arms. I have SPL arms in the rear that are adjustable and eccentric lockout and I'm at -2.0...not exactly how much negative camber I can get out of them, but if you research the site you'll see folks getting more than that. Hope that helps some.
RoaringV8 is offline   Reply With Quote