Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 08-15-2022, 03:51 PM   #71
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums View Post
Agree with Dave here... although I don't think the dealer can flash it without it being installed... so new one will still realistically just be same as you have. eBay route should at least get you the right programming module, if that's where the improvement comes from, that is the part we don't really know.

Best regards,
Dave
I believe the GM engineer said all '19+ models have revised ABS programming. ZL1 is near the same as SS 1LE with LT4, and ZL1 is intended to be the street version of the 1LE so I wouldn't be surprised if ZL1 and SS 1LE ABS programming is very similar. ZL1 1LE programming is surely very different since it has different suspension and tires.

Also, a GM Tech told me the ECU will only be ok with 2 modules with non-matching VIN numbers.

@Krispy, I doubt control modules are big sellers so not too surprised they are relatively cheap. ZL1 1LE wings otoh, you'd think those are made of gold for what people want for them.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:38 PM   #72
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
I just bought one from an auto-wrecker in AZ from a 2020 ZL1 with a10 via Ebay.com like you suggested, thanks a bunch!

Apparently it was stored inside and out of the rain, and since there isn't a dryer climate than AZ so I guess it's reasonable to assume it will work fine and better than any other used option... Time to save $2000!

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 08-15-2022 at 05:02 PM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:44 AM   #73
Krispy

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
I just bought one from an auto-wrecker in AZ from a 2020 ZL1 with a10 via Ebay.com like you suggested, thanks a bunch!

Apparently it was stored inside and out of the rain, and since there isn't a dryer climate than AZ so I guess it's reasonable to assume it will work fine and better than any other used option... Time to save $2000!
GMG, any results yet from the swap?
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:29 PM   #74
GunMetalGrey

Yes despite what the dealership thought, the car was able to accept the new EBCM ABS module just like I was told on this forum, despite the different VINs, thanks guys!

I have not yet been able to test at the track

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 10-18-2022 at 12:20 AM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 08:36 PM   #75
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
I’m not nearly as experienced as others who have already posted - nor do I have my 6th gen yet - but what you described is exactly my experience with my 13 1LE that drove me nuts even after upgrading. Here’s what it “boiled” down to in resolving:

1) I had the ABS module bled
2) I changed my driving style

The 5th Gen is heavier than your 6th; however, I was making 500rwhp. Supercar3 tires, Motul fluid, ST43’s with stock 4-piston Brembos

I had the propensity to brake late and hard, and it would be immediate WOT to hard on the brakes. I finally got to where I figured out just how to induce ice mode any time - and also how to always avoid it.

Like others have said, though, there is a pedal feel that differs between ice mode and when you’ve cooked your fluid. After the ABS flush I finally stopped having fluid issues. I also stopped ever having ice mode simply by changing from that immediate WOT-to-brake stab in to a more linear first hit on the brake pedal and down.

I didn’t watch your videos but am confident based on your comments that you’ll have much better experience next time out - with your new cognizance to your braking habit (and the ABS flush)
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 02:56 PM   #76
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
I’m not nearly as experienced as others who have already posted - nor do I have my 6th gen yet - but what you described is exactly my experience with my 13 1LE that drove me nuts even after upgrading. Here’s what it “boiled” down to in resolving:

1) I had the ABS module bled
2) I changed my driving style

The 5th Gen is heavier than your 6th; however, I was making 500rwhp. Supercar3 tires, Motul fluid, ST43’s with stock 4-piston Brembos

I had the propensity to brake late and hard, and it would be immediate WOT to hard on the brakes. I finally got to where I figured out just how to induce ice mode any time - and also how to always avoid it.

Like others have said, though, there is a pedal feel that differs between ice mode and when you’ve cooked your fluid. After the ABS flush I finally stopped having fluid issues. I also stopped ever having ice mode simply by changing from that immediate WOT-to-brake stab in to a more linear first hit on the brake pedal and down.

I didn’t watch your videos but am confident based on your comments that you’ll have much better experience next time out - with your new cognizance to your braking habit (and the ABS flush)
Good to know!