Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 09-27-2020, 11:07 PM   #15
GAOLDGUY

Drives: 2012 GMC Sierra, 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sweet Cam Selection and Nasty Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreen1LE View Post
Cool! Sounds like we are looking for pretty similar things here.
I too learned a lot from the thread in reference and others with oldman and kinglt1.

I’m unfortunately pretty stuck with 91 around here and while I may do flex fuel sensor I won’t have many chances to utilize it without traveling over an hour.

I may be looking at somewhere in between what oldman recommends and all out performance. I’m kinda liking the cam motion titan three with .630/.621. I may also spend the 30 bucks to have them spec a custom one for me.

https://cammotion.com/gen-5-lt-camsh...226-238-113-3/
Yeah, I like that cam selection and is seems to work with the 2110s and you could probably introduce it to the family (start with the immediate family before crashing a big gathering). Those heads are awesome and I would for sure do them if money were no object. Sounds like you got a screaming deal. Have you seen an NA dyno test with those bad boys. Just curious.
GAOLDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #16
MeanGreen1LE

Drives: 17 krypton green 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAOLDGUY View Post
Yeah, I like that cam selection and is seems to work with the 2110s and you could probably introduce it to the family (start with the immediate family before crashing a big gathering). Those heads are awesome and I would for sure do them if money were no object. Sounds like you got a screaming deal. Have you seen an NA dyno test with those bad boys. Just curious.
Haha thanks.
Honestly I had always planned to just do ported stock factory heads but I didn’t want the pressure on turn around time to get a core charge back so I was looking at outright costs.

When you look at it that way aftermarket is not a big jump. I was deep into researching and looking at cid, Edelbrock, prc. Had decided on prc due to the value but they are back ordered and just happen to run across ,mast.

I’m probably older than many on here and have had gen II lt1 and ls1 powered foodies when I was younger. I was only able to afford simple bolt on parts back then but remember lusting after Mast crate engines back when car mags like Gm High Tech Performance was a thing. Their black label Ls3 heads had good following too.

[Still so frustrated with gm for using lt1 for naming this engine it has proven to be just a big of PITA as I knew it would be!! Researching parts and specs is a nightmare at times. At least there are enough differences with sbc to usually figure it out but still whenever you do a search it’s filled with 90s lt1 stuff. Oh and when you use gen V you get the final iteration of BBC lol ]

I couldn’t find a lot of info on them but like was said that price lured me in. Until they get some out there I would not be surprised if they run a Black Friday special or something.

I still haven’t got them, (they were out of hollow stem valves) but I’ll get some pics when they come In. I’d love to do an old school Install thread but don’t know if I have the patience to do it right.

Last edited by MeanGreen1LE; 09-28-2020 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Additional info
MeanGreen1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:09 AM   #17
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby23 View Post
I have prays stage 3 cam. drives like stock until you hit it. Looking back at it i would have done flycutting and went with a bigger cam from him if i could do it again.
This. From what I understand after talking to Brett himself as well as his costumers is that the stage 3 drives great without compromise.

As far as tuning goes, I would personally go with Pray but you can't go wrong with Pray, GPI, Katech, and other big shops familiar with the gen 5 small block.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:52 PM   #18
17camaroSS

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreen1LE View Post
Haha thanks.
Honestly I had always planned to just do ported stock factory heads but I didn’t want the pressure on turn around time to get a core charge back so I was looking at outright costs.

When you look at it that way aftermarket is not a big jump. I was deep into researching and looking at cid, Edelbrock, prc. Had decided on prc due to the value but they are back ordered and just happen to run across ,mast.

I’m probably older than many on here and have had gen II lt1 and ls1 powered foodies when I was younger. I was only able to afford simple bolt on parts back then but remember lusting after Mast crate engines back when car mags like Gm High Tech Performance was a thing. Their black label Ls3 heads had good following too.

[Still so frustrated with gm for using lt1 for naming this engine it has proven to be just a big of PITA as I knew it would be!! Researching parts and specs is a nightmare at times. At least there are enough differences with sbc to usually figure it out but still whenever you do a search it’s filled with 90s lt1 stuff. Oh and when you use gen V you get the final iteration of BBC lol ]

I couldn’t find a lot of info on them but like was said that price lured me in. Until they get some out there I would not be surprised if they run a Black Friday special or something.

I still haven’t got them, (they were out of hollow stem valves) but I’ll get some pics when they come In. I’d love to do an old school Install thread but don’t know if I have the patience to do it right.
Mast now has a factory casting they offer with no core charge or anything. $450 per head. I personally think you made the right move with those heads though. I’ll be getting some this winter for my car after I run their factory ported setup. I too had a few LT1 cars for my first rear wheel v8. They weren’t the fastest things around, but they were fun and sounded great with a cam lol. Also had a few LS cars after the fact. I can’t wait to see what you decide for the cam and see how it runs!
17camaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:13 PM   #19
MeanGreen1LE

I still may go with pray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
This. From what I understand after talking to Brett himself as well as his costumers is that the stage 3 drives great without compromise.

As far as tuning goes, I would personally go with Pray but you can't go wrong with Pray, GPI, Katech, and other big shops familiar with the gen 5 small block.
That sounds great and i think I’ve seen others with similar experience. Wonder where he’s at with lift heights for his “stage 3”?
Old 09-28-2020, 04:28 PM   #20
MeanGreen1LE

Compression on 91

I might have brought this up earlier in thread but these heads have 59.9 cc chambers vs 59.02cc stock. I’ve had the CR calculators be hard to get right with lt1 but best I can tell I’ll be about 11.3:1. What’s ideal for 91 with di? I know I can get away with more than possible in the past. Again I’m not confident with my calculations but going to .040 cometic gasket Would bring me up to 11.8 or so. Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17camaroSS View Post
Mast now has a factory casting they offer with no core charge or anything. $450 per head. I personally think you made the right move with those heads though. I’ll be getting some this winter for my car after I run their factory ported setup. I too had a few LT1 cars for my first rear wheel v8. They weren’t the fastest things around, but they were fun and sounded great with a cam lol. Also had a few LS cars after the fact. I can’t wait to see what you decide for the cam and see how it runs!
Lol yeah I’ve seen they were about to have that. May have went that route if it happened a little sooner. Maybe that’s why they put the sale up in the first place. ?? I certainly don’t regret the purchase if they ever get here and perform.

Yep gen II lt1 is slow by today’s standards but they weren’t back when new. Performance of lt1 z28 and TA had a serious role in getting me hooked on foodies. And you’re right they sound amazing. It’s subjective and maybe even for nostalgic reasons but they may sound better even.

Tags
cam, heads