Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-17-2021, 06:45 PM   #15
Kerry

Drives: 2019 2SS Camaro

Ck out from about 7.30 to 8 min
Kerry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:17 PM   #16
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post

Ck out from about 7.30 to 8 min
What happened in that video is exactly why I won’t use them.

Too many potential failure points for my liking.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:30 PM   #17
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post

Looks like that was a failure of the plastic blocks and not the Quick Jack itself.. the plastic blocks melted/deformed.
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:36 PM   #18
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Also, guy had the Quick Jack on the edge of a rubber mat... they should def be completely on solid ground. Dude is lucky he had jacks situated as he was playing with fire lol.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:56 PM   #19
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by willzilla View Post
Also, guy had the Quick Jack on the edge of a rubber mat... they should def be completely on solid ground. Dude is lucky he had jacks situated as he was playing with fire lol.
Oh, I totally agree.

Like I said, there are a lot of variables… I like lifting slowly, with multiple floor jacks and jackstands. I won’t lie under a car that’s on jacks or jackstands. That wasn’t always the case. I’ve learned to have a healthy level of paranoia, after seeing a lot of people get hurt. Some from pure stupidity / carelessness, and other times just crappy luck. IE equipment or other structural failures.

I’m not trying to say this is a bad product, it’s just not something I look at and feel the warm and fuzzies.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:15 PM   #20
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Quote:
Oh, I totally agree.

Like I said, there are a lot of variables… I like lifting slowly, with multiple floor jacks and jackstands. I won’t lie under a car that’s on jacks or jackstands. That wasn’t always the case. I’ve learned to have a healthy level of paranoia, after seeing a lot of people get hurt. Some from pure stupidity / carelessness, and other times just crappy luck. IE equipment or other structural failures.

I’m not trying to say this is a bad product, it’s just not something I look at and feel the warm and fuzzies.
Oh yeah, def always to have backup protections in place and be super careful. People die from being crushed by their vehicles all of the time and other freak accidents. My wife's uncle died a couple years ago.. car broke down, pulled to the side of the road, way off onto the shoulder (a wide shoulder) like 2-3 feet from the road.. popped the hood, went over to take a look at what was going on... car gets plowed into by some lady texting and driving and he was killed. Craziness!
Old 08-17-2021, 08:57 PM   #21
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
As this is a discussion on QJ’s, & needs for the jacks can vary, has anyone tried using 2 as drive-ons & lifting by the tires, like a drive-on rack?

I have longer WB vehicles that when you combine 2 7000EXT’s you’d have the lift capacity to lift heavier vehicles.

Just curious.

Quote:

Yet he added some boards & continued to use them.

No offense intended as I like you. Just looking at it logically.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 12:54 PM   #22
MR2Aaron

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS, 2012 Scion iQ
Quote:

While the point that it's not immune to failure is well-taken, I've always been much more afraid of a car falling off of a set of jackstands than I am of it falling off my Quickjack. Proper setup is critical, though. The load between each of the lift frames needs to be even, they need to be perfectly parallel, and they need to be on a flat, level surface. This is sometimes easier said than done.

I think they really do a disservice to their customers by not including the pinch weld blocks with it. Most cars I've tried to use my QuickJack with are best lifted with the pinch weld blocks, and I have real hard time imagining how it could fall off if you were using those, as it would have to first get lifted out of the groove in the block, or the block would have to somehow get lifted out of the little pocket it sits in.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 01:24 PM   #23
MR2Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
As this is a discussion on QJ’s, & needs for the jacks can vary, has anyone tried using 2 as drive-ons & lifting by the tires, like a drive-on rack?

I have longer WB vehicles that when you combine 2 7000EXT’s you’d have the lift capacity to lift heavier vehicles.

Just curious.

Yet he added some boards & continued to use them.

No offense intended as I like you. Just looking at it logically.
The instructions the QuickJack comes with are pretty specific about how you're not supposed to drive a vehicle over any part of it. Also, it's not able to lift a vehicle when it's all the way flat. It needs to lift itself up off the floor a couple of inches before it's able to do any real heavy lifting.
Old 08-18-2021, 02:07 PM   #24
NotFast

Drives: 2021 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2Aaron View Post
I think they really do a disservice to their customers by not including the pinch weld blocks with it. Most cars I've tried to use my QuickJack with are best lifted with the pinch weld blocks, and I have real hard time imagining how it could fall off if you were using those, as it would have to first get lifted out of the groove in the block, or the block would have to somehow get lifted out of the little pocket it sits in.

I've got pinch weld blocks, but without hacking them up -- they won't work with my LT1 (the skirting gets in the way).
NotFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 02:23 PM   #25
MR2Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFast View Post
I've got pinch weld blocks, but without hacking them up -- they won't work with my LT1 (the skirting gets in the way).
Is the problem that the pinch weld blocks are too wide, or that they aren't tall/deep enough?

My Camaro is new enough that I've not had occasion to lift it, but I'm going to need to eventually. I had assumed the pinch weld blocks would be the solution, but it sounds like maybe not. I'd have no qualms about trimming them to fit if they're too wide, though.
Old 08-18-2021, 02:44 PM   #26
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by willzilla View Post
Looks like that was a failure of the plastic blocks and not the Quick Jack itself.. the plastic blocks melted/deformed.
Like I posted in the other thread regarding this video. This was 100% user error. First you don't use these jacks on a thick piece of foam, rubber or whatever. And if you look at the 8:00 mark, you can see that they didn't even have the rubber pads square under the pinch weld block shown slipping. Probably why the other guy took and moved the block to hide that fact. Also after watching again, It appears that the driver side rear is off center as well and inboard. And the front driver side looks tilted possibly as well. Again nothing wrong with these jacks. Of the few so called quick jack failures posted on youtube, everyone I have seen so far has been user error inflicted. A little common sense goes a long ways.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 03:43 PM   #27
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Yeah, the issue was clearly the block placement on the pinch welds, user error
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:12 PM   #28
Kerry

Drives: 2019 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
Like I posted in the other thread regarding this video. This was 100% user error. First you don't use these jacks on a thick piece of foam, rubber or whatever. And if you look at the 8:00 mark, you can see that they didn't even have the rubber pads square under the pinch weld block shown slipping. Probably why the other guy took and moved the block to hide that fact. Also after watching again, It appears that the driver side rear is off center as well and inboard. And the front driver side looks tilted possibly as well. Again nothing wrong with these jacks. Of the few so called quick jack failures posted on youtube, everyone I have seen so far has been user error inflicted. A little common sense goes a long ways.

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner. He used the zl1 add ons or things that fit the pinch welds as well I think. Those things will rock on the pinch weld. Had it happen when jacking with just a regular jack. To further aggravate things it does appear the add on was not centered on the rubber block by looking at the rubber and dude goes over and flips it over so u don't see the top where it looks like it was sitting on the very edge of the rubber block. Very strange why he walks over and flips it for no seeming reason.

I bought some that have the set screws so u tighten them to the pinch weld. got them from phastec. I bought the ones for the 6th gen but they stuck down too far and i think I went with the 5th gen. Shorter.

Now when they say don't lower the jack off the stops without the wheels on They mean it. I did that just to let it down for a few minutes and boom all of the sudden one side went all the way down. It would not lift the car. The other side still up. I was in a bad spot. I finally had to put a block of wood on 2 lug studs on the front wheel and start jacking the car back up and then I could get a jack at the back and finally got it back up level with the other side.!!!! What a nightmare, but it was my own fault. I will tell you one of the best things was I had those tight on my pinch welds so it did not slide completely off the rubber blocks. No damage but that was a close one for sure. i was working under the hood when it happened.

Always be sure the blocks are mostly centered at the lift point and make sure the lift point is solid and not wobley. I think that if you do that and use the locks on the quick jack its the most safe. Also a solid flat floor no hills or leans. I love my quick jack btw. So many times you need to lower temp then jack back up. That totally sucks with jacks and jack stands.

Putting wisco pistons in my (wifes) baby lol
Attached Images

Kerry is online now   Reply With Quote